IGNORED

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Thread Owner

• 7 months later...
12 hours ago, Paulando said:

It's amazing. They're all great apart from Season 5, which was oddly shit.

I've just caught up with Curb, as strangely I never watched past season 3 when it originally aired.  So I watched Season 4-8 over the last few days :)  I totally agree that season 5 was a low point; but the rest seemed to be at a consistently good level.  Loved it.

Really excited for the new season :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've held off the leaked show, something like episode 2-5 has leaked but I can't bring myself to miss episode 1. Even though really, with Curb, does the order of episodes really matter? They do right? There generally seems to be a season arc? Been so long I've forgotten.

• 3 weeks later...

First episode is great. Much better than the start to S7, though not quite up there with the best Curb has to offer (it follows the usual Curb formula of Larry pissing someone off then it escalates, so nothing groundbreaking).

Leon on top form once again, I love that guy.

Spoiler

When he takes over as Larry’s assistant? Incredible :lol:

Watching episode 1 was a strange experience;

Spoiler

The opening gag with the shampoo bottle, I think you're supposed to be like 'Oh yeah, haha, those bottles! What are those all about?' but I found myself giggling because it seemed like the a 'Dad joke' of observational comedy. I found it more funny that they opened with a joke about a shampoo bottle. I also was a bit miffed that the 'preetay preetay good' felt undeserved and thrown in there just for the sake of it, they should hold those moments for the right time like they do with the eye starring bits. 

Anyway, regardless I do find myself still really enjoying being with most of the characters. I'm just not sure if I'm laughing with it or at it anymore.

The opening observational joke is a staple of Curb. The observation in itself isn't funny; Larry's over the top reaction and struggle is the joke. 

Have you seen the show before?

I was unsure on the first episode. Some really good bits, but also some were overacted and, well, quite annoying too. The ending was pretty bad. 

Hopefully it's just finding its feet. 

14 hours ago, Shoes said:

The opening observational joke is a staple of Curb. The observation in itself isn't funny; Larry's over the top reaction and struggle is the joke. 

Have you seen the show before?

Yeah I've seen them all. I think I'm laughing at it as intended then, just wasn't sure (for several seasons). I find it hard to explain the show, my partner asked what it is the other day and so I had to explain it. All I could think of was something like 'There is an old man who is grumpy and moans a lot but in a funny way?'. Sounds like OneFootInTheGrave but It's much deeper and nuanced  than that isn't it? :lol: Go on, can anyone do better with 1 or 2 lines?

The opening scene in the first episode is a callback so we know Larry hasn’t changed in the intervening six years.

Episode 2 was poor. A couple of chuckles, mostly from Leon at the beginning. They tried to pull off one of those ‘lots of plot strands coming together’ endings, but it didn’t really make sense and it wasn’t funny. Ah well. Every season has its bad episodes!