IGNORED

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Thread Owner

I like it but it gets a bit too silly. For example there's a first season episode where he holds the lift for this woman and then he can't get passed her in the corridor and so she beats him to his appointment. And you're like 'That's pretty funny, that's happened to everyone'. But then it gets ruined at the end when this designer starts attacking him and he falls over and OH! It looks like he's trying to rape her or something. Besides those few unlikely and ruining scenes that pop up, it's very very funny.

A good time to get them from play.com, where 1-3 are £13.99. The UK releases are usually stupidly priced (around the £25 mark in 'real' shops), which is very annoying - presumably they don't sell all that well as a result.

They maintain quality consistently, though - if you like season 1, you'll like the rest. I think 5 is scheduled to start soon in the US. Well, I just checked - Sept. 25th. I don't believe anyone in the UK has shown season four yet, so it could be a long wait for five unless you get your torrent on.

Disturbing visuals at the official site.

A good time to get them from play.com, where 1-3 are £13.99.

An even better time would have been last month, when they were £10.99 each at Choices Direct.

I never got into Seinfeld, I couldn't get past that slap bass, the canned laughter and the dearth of funny jokes. But CYE manages to rectify all three flaws; it's just a shame Larry feels the need to continuously go on about that other dreadful show in it.

I've had something of a crush on Cheryl ever since the episode where that man walked in on her while she was on the loo, seeing 'all there is to see in a woman'. What I wouldn't have given to have been that man at that moment.

So you're saying that now isn't a good time to buy shares in Wal-Mart at an inflated price?

No, I'm saying it's a good time to buy CyE at £13.99 unless you can go back in time. Incidentally if anyone IS going back in time to take advantage of Ass Festival's excellent tip, could you get me a Pyramint while you're there? It's only a decade and a half further to go.

No, I'm saying it's a good time to buy CyE at £13.99 unless you can go back in time. Incidentally if anyone IS going back in time to take advantage of Ass Festival's excellent tip, could you get me a Pyramint while you're there? It's only a decade and a half further to go.

It wasn't a tip as such, it was just pointing out the flaw in your argument about now being a good time to buy Curb Your Enthusiasm from Play, even though Play just put their prices up for the first three seasons.

:D That made me laugh.

Lots

It wasn't a tip as such, it was just pointing out the flaw in your argument about now being a good time to buy Curb Your Enthusiasm from Play, even though Play just put their prices up for the first three seasons.

You said Choices Direct! You should be disqualified. Play are still £11 cheaper than the ridiculous RRP, so again to anyone considering buying CyE in the UK - and this is all I want people to do - go to Play. Or dvd.co.uk, but be prepared to pay the same and wait longer. Cautious consumers can verify all this at http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/. Time Lords can save £3, but everyone's getting a good deal.

You said Choices Direct! You should be disqualified.

Play had then at £11.99 last month, Choices at £10.99. Play were offering those Daily Star vouchers last month, mind.

Play are still £11 cheaper than the ridiculous RRP, so again to anyone considering buying CyE in the UK - and this is all I want people to do - go to Play. Or dvd.co.uk, but be prepared to pay the same and wait longer. Cautious consumers can verify all this at http://www.find-dvd.co.uk/. Time Lords can save £3, but everyone's getting a good deal.

They're currently £12.97 at Amazon, so if anyone wants to buy all three (soon to be four) seasons, that would be better than Play, albeit not quite as good as last month's offers...

Didn't think to check if there'd be a season 5. Woohoo! I'd better start doing situps for all the cringing.

Out of interest, did everyone here like Seinfeld too? Lots of people I know love Seinfeld but don't get this at all. Dunno if it works the other way.

I saw the season 3 premiere 'Chets Shirt'.

What a load of crap. Horribly acted, no jokes in it at all, just boring observations. And there was that horrible slapstick scene where Larry David gets hit in the face with a baseball bat, and when Ted Danson and Larry are fighting over a shirt and it rips...good god. Slapstick works when it's a traditional sitcom with a laughter track - but when it's filmed with a shaky camera and show that's a bit more 'sophisticated', it's horribly jarring.

Weirdest thing is that everyone seems to love it, the critics call it the funniest show on TV, personally I think it's worse than Will and Grace, which is about as low as gets.

Seriously though, I think I must have just been watching the worst episode of the show or something.

I started watching this, and am quite confused.

Larry David is playing himself, but his wife and that are fictional, yes?

His wife is played by an actress: but there are definitely things that happen that are based on his real wife: such as the one where she was organising a benefit for something or other (and Larry had heard there was going to be a terrorist attack on LA, so wanted to be out of town). His real wife does similar things.

I think he's actually friends with that comedian too.

His manager is played by an actor, I think.

I saw the season 3 premiere 'Chets Shirt'.

What a load of crap. Horribly acted, no jokes in it at all, just boring observations. And there was that horrible slapstick scene where Larry David gets hit in the face with a baseball bat, and when Ted Danson and Larry are fighting over a shirt and it rips...good god. Slapstick works when it's a traditional sitcom with a laughter track - but when it's filmed with a shaky camera and show that's a bit more 'sophisticated', it's horribly jarring.

Weirdest thing is that everyone seems to love it, the critics call it the funniest show on TV, personally I think it's worse than Will and Grace, which is about as low as gets.

Seriously though, I think I must have just been watching the worst episode of the show or something.

It takes a couple of episodes to get ‘it’. Once you get to know Larry and what irritates him you will find the situations much more funny, i suggest you watch the first couple of seasons their a good lead in point.

I think he's actually friends with that comedian too.

His manager is played by an actor, I think.

David plays himself, as does Richard Lewis (the friend). The rest of the cast are actors, though they may be playing 'versions' of real people. The exception is the guest stars, of course, who play themselves - with the confusing exception of the fat guy from Spin City, who plays Larry's cousin. And even more confusingly, characters often have their actor's first names, such as Cheryl's friend Wanda, and indeed Jeff and Cheryl.

Gah! It's like the recap sequence in Soap.

And even more confusingly, characters often have their actor's first names, such as Cheryl's friend Wanda, and indeed Jeff and Cheryl.

I think the reason for that is to make it harder for the actors to accidentally slip in the real name of who they're talking to. As it's almost completely ad-libbed there is obviously a lot of the actors' real personality going into the performance, which I imagine makes this more likely to happen.

Also, some of the scenes go on for aaaages in a single take so it would also cut down on re-takes. A re-take would mean a slightly different ad-lib, and slightly different lines, but most importantly it would lose the spontaneity.