Beginners Guide To The Amiga?

Dandy_Sephy

Thought it would be a good idea to have some idea about them before my A500+ arrives from ebay. Never used one before, so I'm very much a noob. Does anyone know of any good places for info?

Yes, I've tried google with little joy so far, and I'm sure those with more experience can be more helpful then me looking through google all day :)

Thought it would be a good idea to have some idea about them before my A500+ arrives from ebay. Never used one before, so I'm very much a noob. Does anyone know of any good places for info?

You'll find a few incompatability problems when running a few titles on the A500+.

Anyway, a few good links...

Lemon Amiga - http://www.lemonamiga.com/

Comp.sys.amiga.games

Comp.sys.amiga.hardware

Rob

You'll find a few incompatability problems when running a few titles on the A500+.

This is very true, although I do remember getting hold of a bootdisk off the cover of some Amiga magazine that emulated a 1.3 environment on an A500+, thus overcoming almost all compatibility problems. Didn't work for everything, but an essential tool to have nonetheless.

This is very true, although I do remember getting hold of a bootdisk off the cover of some Amiga magazine that emulated a 1.3 environment on an A500+, thus overcoming almost all compatibility problems. Didn't work for everything, but an essential tool to have nonetheless.

Yep. Something like ReloKick or SKick should do the job - they're probably on Aminet (www.aminet.de).

You may also find some games which don't like having a second (external) floppy drive attached, or don't like Fast RAM installed on the machine (use a NoFastMem tool).

Slightly on-topic...

How can I correct bad blocks on an Amiga HD? Format it? Bin it? Quarterback tools gets rid of the errors, but I can't use that part of the drive without the problem coming back.

The Amiga is supposed to be able to mark those bad blocks and not use them again - alternatively you could cut two new partitions around the bad blocks (that's the way I cheated it back on my A600)

My other method is sometimes just to find out which file is affected, then rename it and never use it again.

M;.

A collegue of mine here in IT told me that when IDE HDDs develop bad sectors they are on their way out. This is because it is a sign that the disk has become contaminated with some external material due to a seal leakage which will spread, or that the drive heads are actually damaging the media surface due to some sort of mechanical failure. Both are bad news.

In my experience, he's 100% right. I've lost several disks and the warning sign has always been the bad sectors. Like a chump, I lost all my data.

How long it takes them to die once you've got bad sectors is anyone's guess but it is going to die sooner rather than later. Most Amigas set-ups generally make very light use of the HDD, so it might last for ages. Keep using the drive, but I would strongly suggest making a full backup now.

In my experience working with goodness knows how many HDs as I do here at work, HDs normally develop bad sectors during their lifespan as part of their natural usage - infact HDs nowadays deliberately have a scratchpad area to compensate for "expected" bad sectors (so manufacturers can maintain their claim of a certain amount of disk space being available)

If you're getting a lot of bad sectors frequently, then I'd agree the HD is on its way out. In the case of my A600's HD, it was a clump of 3 bad sectors which I worked around by repartitioning

While I'd agree with the notion that an HD will eventually pop its clogs, there's no reason to forecast doom and gloom the instant your HD highlights 1 or 2 bad sectors.

M;.

Thanks for the info - the drive is already partitioned into three drives, I think each one has at least one bad block, but it seems to be ok now. Just glad I managed to transfer the progs needed to make proper disks from adf's!

Also, the picture on my A1200 flickers when it's under a heavy CPU load, such as playing a game. On another forum I posted at they said it only happened on early 1200's and could be fixed by soldering on a capacitor on the motherboard. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, the picture on my A1200 flickers when it's under a heavy CPU load, such as playing a game. On another forum I posted at they said it only happened on early 1200's and could be fixed by soldering on a capacitor on the motherboard. Has anyone else had this problem?

Never heard of this problem in all my years of Amiga owning.

My friend had a launch day Amiga 1200 and this never had that problem. Mine is one which I bought a month or two after launch and that has also never `flickered`.

Sounds dodgy to me.

The display going funny is more likely a symptom of the power supply not giving out enough power which, for a standard A1200, is a little concerning since the PSUs which shipped with them are meant to supply enough power (though they're pretty useless for driving any heavy expansions like PowerPC cards :))

M;.

Was using RF at first, noticed the dodgy picture, so I tried a scart lead from the composite output and got the same results. As I said on EAB it's using an A600 PSU (25W) that come with it, obviously the wrong one, my old A500 brick has gone missing since I moved but I think there's a good chance of it working better on it than the a600 one!

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Hmm, well 25W became the standard for all the later Amiga PSUs - if you can possibly find another one to test it with that might shed some light on the situation.

One presumes that you haven't expanded your A1200 with any additional stuff like accelerators?

M;.