IGNORED

How Much Do You Haggle At Car Boots?

Gabe

For those that regularly partake in the traditional weekly car boots for stuff, what is your approach to haggling?

Will you, for example, haggle the price of something that you know to be worth much more on eBay, or will you pay the asking price?

in most of my cases the seller has started SO high anyway, and is SO fucking confident that they'll get their STUPIDLY high asking price* that I prefer to walk away and leave them standing there rather than enter into an utterly futile discussion over price.

But then, I'm booting inside the M25...

* because the eBayers will, but that's NOT why I'm buying.

Depends. This weekend I got to one stall as a women placed a box on the floor with a SNES and 8 unboxed games in it. She said she wanted £5 and I paid that there and then. I also picked up some N64 games, boxed, for a £1 each, didn't see the need to haggle there, either.

However, the weekend before I bought 'Bust-a-Groove'. The woman selling it wanted £20 for an unboxed Playstation with 5 games, including Bust-a-Groove. I asked if she'd do it separately and she said she'd rather not split, I said I had a PS already, she said she'd do it for a tenner, I said 'oooo', so she said a fiver, I said £2.50, she said £4...and we settled on £3.

If someone's selling PS games for £2, I'll suggest 2 for £3, that sort of thing.

Little kids, and I mean the 4 year olds, I pay their asking price.

Otherwise, if the prices being asked are sensible then I will often just pay the price. You can waste a lot of time standing there haggling, and you miss the stuff on the next table.

A suggestion of a slight drop in price is often rewarded with a quick sale though, surely some sellers have over-priced knowing they will be knocked down?

I find the people buying purely for ebay, are the ones that have set prices and won't go above. Meaning I can pickup those amazing titles for £3-£5 each, as their limit is £2 a game.

I always pay the asking price if i think it's worth it. Even if it's a little over what I rekon it's worth, I'll pay it. If the seller has (for instance) an n64 and 5 games, and is selling the games seprately, I'll pay the asking price for the console, if they chuck in the games. If they don't I smash them in the face and walk off laughing.

Anyway, you get the picture..

Yeah, I find that most of the traders that frequent the same boots as me will not pay anymore than £1.50-£2 for a Playstation game.

You're also right about the haggling. I prefer to buy things quickly and keep moving!

the amount of times I've seen competition haggle, fuck about and then miss something makes me realise that it's worth a go sometimes, but others your better off just giving them the cash and moving on. It depends on the item, i prefer people with the 3-4 pound games to be honest as they put off the idiots and allow cherry picking.

Some people look at it as they want a discount, no matter what , if it's 50p they want it for 30p, out of spite, dick size fantasy or just tightness.

I tend to do a mixture. As has been said if someone immediately wants a resonable price then I'll not haggle. EG 4 pokemon games £5 from a 10 year old kid.

I tend to haggle when it's something I want but can't justify paying the asking price. Usually I'll offer bundle prices or whatever.

If the asking price is way too high to begin with I'll just walk away without even haggling. I saw a pristine NES one week and I'm really after one. The guy did the whole 'they're rare them' thing and asked £40. To be fair it was very nice and if he'd said £20 I'd probably have haggled to £15 but I didn't even bother and walked off.

God yes, 213! I have done a few booters myself and some of the haggling is just mad.

'How much is the stuffed ET?'

'50p!'

'Will you take 45p?'

'Errmmm....what!?'

'Will you take 45p?'

'I guess so.'

'Can you break a £20 note? If not...I have 30 pence in change.'

'Go away'

You're also right about the £3-4 PS games. Every now and then the traders do get a nice game simply because they've haggled someone down to parting with 20 odd PS games for £10, with a Devil Dice sandwiched in amongst the Raymans.

EDIT: That reminds me!! I thought I'd finally found Tombi at the weekend! Saw the front cover from a distance, raced over and then realised it was a copy! Was gutted!

God yes, 213! I have done a few booters myself and some of the haggling is just mad.

'How much is the stuffed ET?'

'50p!'

'Will you take 45p?'

'Errmmm....what!?'

'Will you take 45p?'

'I guess so.'

'Can you break a £20 note? If not...I have 30 pence in change.'

'Go away.'

I agree. I've actually given people £1 for 3 games at 25p each on occassions. I just don't see the point for anything under £1 any more thought than it takes. I spose money has got different value to different people but most of the time 50p items are just token offerings.

I want to give this near worthless item to someone who wants it and I don't want some twat to have it so I stick a 50p price tag on it. It's simply a token jesture.

One guy had about 50 old big boxed PC games that he offered to me for free. I picked out the ones I wanted (about 6 or 7) and gave him a few quid. That's the way it should be IMO

In my finest hour i haggled a SNES up to £10 from £5 and yes i was buying it. I also declined a copy of Doom 3 on th X-Box for £6 because he wouldn't even give me a quid off (it was late and i wasn't in the mood and i didn't really want it :( )

Anyway i will have to go with what most people are saying and that is if it's cheap i probably won't haggle, if it's a fair price i'll try and knock them down a bit and if they tell me it is 'The R@re' then i usually just walk away.

In my finest hour i haggled a SNES up to £10 from £5 and yes i was buying it.  I also declined a copy of Doom 3 on th X-Box for £6 because he wouldn't even give me a quid off (it was late and i wasn't in the mood and i didn't really want it :( )

Anyway i will have to go with what most people are saying and that is if it's cheap i probably won't haggle, if it's a fair price i'll try and knock them down a bit and if they tell me it is 'The R@re' then i usually just walk away.

If it is a fair price, why would you then try and haggle it down further?

Because I like a bargain, don't get me wrong, I won't try to intimidate people or throw the game/console on the floor if they won't come down in price. I ask politely if they will take x amount, if they say no, then I may try a higher amount. The best result is if i offer say £15 for a £20 item and then they suggest £17.50, I think I have a bargain and they think they got a little more than what they might have done. If it's done in the right way it can be great fun for both sides.

Well, because I don't get up early on a sunday to pay the same price I could pay for something on ebay anytime and have delivered to my door.

I go booting for stuff I want at good prices, not fair ones. The saturn pack I bought recently was £20 asking which was fair as it would probably have got £30-40 on ebay. I haggled and got it for £15.

However a monkey island bounty pack (or multimega :( ) for £2 is not even approaching brilliant so I'd feel dirty to haggle. Quite often I'll haggle up if they seem nice people and genuinely don't know somethings value.

More and more people this year have said 'It's blah blah and goes for even more than that on eBay!' I tend to just walk off but sometimes you do feel like telling them to put it on eBay! This chap had an unboxed NES with 4 games, in pretty average condition on Monday. I asked how much and he mentioned eBay and said £30. I turned to go and he said I could make an offer, I suggested £10 and he told me to bugger off!! I laughed and did just that. Was still sat there when I left.

More and more people this year have said 'It's blah blah and goes for even more than that on eBay!' I tend to just walk off but sometimes you do feel like telling them to put it on eBay! This chap had an unboxed NES with 4 games, in pretty average condition on Monday. I asked how much and he mentioned eBay and said £30. I turned to go and he said I could make an offer, I suggested £10 and he told me to bugger off!! I laughed and did just that. Was still sat there when I left.

:(

I love it when they ask you, as you're walking away, how much you'd offer. I know that when I say they're gonna do their nut. FFS you asked me to make you an offer and I did. Don't get all 'startin' because I didn't offer £100 for a copy of FIFA for the mega drive.

EDIT: I've even told a family who wanted £60 for a ps1 with a few sports games that there was no point in me offering as it wouldn't be enough. They insisted and I offered a tenner, which was quite generous. They told me I was 'crazy', 'avin a laugh' that it was 'worth £50 at least'. I walked past at the end as I was leaving and they offered it to me for £45. I just laughed and went home.

The trick to haggling is to keep LOADS of small change in your pocket. When you see an item you like, make a note of the price. Then go somewhere else, and put less than that price into a single pocket. Say £10 in small coins as opposed to the £15 asking price. Then go back, haggle a bit, and then pull out each individual coin. Appear REALLY interested. Then pull out your pocket and go "shit, outta money!". Most of the time they'll let you leave with the item. If not, pull out a few ten pences from your back pocket. Most people will do the sympathetic thing and just give it to you.

If though, you find an unboxed working Vectrex with games for £10, do not haggle, and instead force the money into their hands as fast as possible, before running away so that they can't change their mind. What's the point in haggling, someone may chip in a higher price as your haggling with them, and then they'll realise the real value.

EDIT:

Who the hell would haggle UP when BUYING?! and WHY?!

Competition? Are you guys like store owners who are all in competition with each other to acquire stock... or do you just mean rival gamers?

I prefer carboots with no competition. Gives it a more friendly atmosphere, and I can stop for a snack at the food stalls without worrying about losing a bargain. :(

I prefer carboots with no competition. Gives it a more friendly atmosphere, and I can stop for a snack at the food stalls without worrying about losing a bargain. <_<

Don't we all, but they are a dying breed!

My local morning one is a real scrum. The traders, gamers and ebayers are all fighting for the same things and I wouldn't describe it as 'fun', really.

Thankfully, many of them either sell there and so hang around or go in a different direction. This means that I get a fairly nice run at the mid-morning boot sale before an equally competitive one to close off the morning.

I really do miss the old days, circa 1999-2001 when I first got into it, when no-one else was interested in the videogames stuff at all, except for me. It really started when I was back from Uni for the summer and helped Mum out when she did a boot sale to sell her old clothes. I had a look round and picked up a gorgeous boxed NES with all the wrappers and six games for £5.

I was hooked after that but couldn't afford to go that often because I was a skint student and had a Sunday job most of the time. Once I finished Uni I started going more often and it was great! I could wander in late and still pick and choose what I wanted. Some of the stuff I turned down because, at the time I thought was expensive, the traders would go bananas for now. They all used to be at the boot sales but they were only interested in videos and CDs back then. Hopefully, they'll move on to something else eventually!

I don't bother haggling, If its under a couple of quid then I usually just buy it straight away.

When I see something I do tend to quickly set a price i'm prepared to pay in my mind, if they ask too much I'll say no thanks and walk away.

I Often see something and just assume the sellers going to ask a ridiculous price for it so don't even bother asking, particularly towards the end of a boot so I

probably miss out on some bargains, but then again I probably save myself from buying a load of stuff Im not that interested in, afterall how many gameboys can you usefully own?

By competition i mean traders, i buy for my own collection but lately have started buying to sell and i hate myself for it as i used to frown on other people doing it but why should i pass on a copy of FFVII for a quid when i know i can get more than a tenner for it? Today i took 2 SNES', an Atari 7800 and a copy of Donkey Kong Country to Gamestation and got £55 for a total outlay of £18 if i didn't do it somebody else would. If i know something is worth considerably more than they are asking i very rarely haggle.

If you won't pay it you can guarantee the bloke to the left of you will.

Damn right. A woman had a box of about 80 golf balls and this guy was haggling, she wanted £4.50 and he was offering £4. I was quite happy to offer her £4.50 in a snap. She accepted and the haggler started wingeing and trying to force money into her hand. I walked off with enough golf balls to keep me going for years including a few nice callaway balls. She was asking about 5p a ball for gods sake.

i ALLWAYS haggle.

Its the only way I can afford car boots AND dvds.

The best I've haggled was a Mint boxed SNES from £20 to £10 :)

But I go by this policy

5>3.50

4>2.50

3>1.50

2>1

(sometimes) 1>50P

Theres only two occaisions when I haven't haggled, once was when the guy wouldn't haggle (Perfect Dark for £5) and once when I couldn't be bothered (Master System II for £2)

I never bother haggling.

I go up to the person selling an item I want and always find that the item will fall into two categories:

- A price that I'm willing to pay

or

- A price so greatly inflated that I really cannot be bothered to deal with the person.

Perhaps I've lost out on a few potential bargains this way, but when the starting price is so stupidly high I simply move on with the comment "Oh, ok. I'll have a quick look around the rest of the stalls and come back later". Obviously, I never do.

In my finest hour i haggled a SNES up to £10 from £5 and yes i was buying it.  I also declined a copy of Doom 3 on th X-Box for £6 because he wouldn't even give me a quid off (it was late and i wasn't in the mood and i didn't really want it :blink: )

LIAR!

Since the SNES debacle, it's Mrs rat Boy who does the haggling.

As someone else is too scared/rubbish ;)

The amount of times I've been going for a bargain, only to get Mrs Rat Boy elbowing me out of the way........

LIAR!

Since the SNES debacle, it's Mrs rat Boy who does the haggling.

As someone else is too scared/rubbish  :blink:

The amount of times I've been going for a bargain, only to get Mrs Rat Boy elbowing me out of the way........

;)

There's nothing more determined than a woman who can see her money wasting away. "If you're gonna buy it anyway, we might aswell pay as little as possible".