IGNORED

Virtua Tennis

snk

your comments go well beyond what i would deem acceptable criticism. it's only a game, you don't like it, but there's no need to be so insulting.

Personally I welcome criticism in what I do. If someone were to find such gross faults with a web application I'd written, to the point that it shouldn't really even be available, I would entirely respect them for suggesting I didn't know how to do my job properly and should get the hell out of the internet industry.

Maybe that's just me though.

Personally I welcome criticism in what I do. If someone were to find such gross faults with a web application I'd written, to the point that it shouldn't really even be available, I would entirely respect them for suggesting I didn't know how to do my job properly and should get the hell out of the internet industry.

Maybe that's just me though.

constructive criticism of the game is fine but calling people wankers and the like is just rude and ignorant.

Look, if you're unhappy with the game, thats fine by me. I'm not forcing you to play it. Most places offer a refund, so instead of coming on here and calling us names and suggesting we should be in remedial classes, take it or send it back. End of. See how hard was that?

So anyone who has a valid point about your work should shut up and send the game back? You don't feel at all bad releasing a product that a very large number of people are all levelling the same criticism at?

Let me know what titles you're ruining developing next .. I want to save my cash in future.

Since the game has been out officially for just over 50 minutes (though you may have had it early due to Web retail) I find it difficult to believe you could have arrived at your opinion through any length of play.

A lot of people have levelled criticism at this mode through a short amount of play, even in focus testing and QA. However, given time with it, they've gone on to appreciate it. Sometimes I've bought albums and hated them on first play, but in time they've been some of my favorites.

Why you feel I'm asking you to shut up, I don't know. You seem to feel that personally attacking me will somehow sort you grieviences. I simply offered you a solution if you weren't happy. I see no fault in this.

What I do find offensive is your suggestion that we are somehow backwards and at fault. Whilst I'm sure we could find area's we'd like to improve in the game - in general we're more than happy with the way it's turned out.

Anyway, I'm all for creative criticism. Yet so far I don't believe you offered any outside of you'll actually have to spend time with the game to succeed, in World Tour at least.

If you want to discuss this civily, I'm more than prepared to do it. But whilst you continue to hurl insults at both me and the team that worked hard to get this title out, I'm more inclined to ignore you.

---

S0L

---

I can't see what Sumo Digital did wrong to be honest, it's a spot on conversion. Pity the source material wasn't totally up to scratch though :blink:

I've played a bit more of the World Tour mode and I'm actually getting into it a bit. A few mini games are bastard hard (that fucking 'Othello' game is a cunt) but I am progressing (slowly).

Onion, you're a fucking spacker after reading what you've said. It was exactly the same on Virtua Tennis 2 on the DC - you know by now that PSP games certainly aren't pick up and put down affairs, thats what Snake on your mobile is for.

S0L, cheers for helping put together such a decent title and for answering questions from idiots on internet forums again - ignore Onion's whinging that he can't level up his tennis player on his PSP while on the three minute walk to KFC for lunch. And tell us what the Chase cards are for, dammit :blink:

Alright, I'll be civil.

Don't you think that ignoring the player's choice of difficulty level in the world tour mode will give them a negative experience when (if) they choose to play that part of the game?

I generally set most of the games I play to easy because I don't want a particularly challenging experience. I'm not the world's most adept player at the best of times. I realise this. I play games to have a laugh. I don't have the time or the inclination to dedicate hours of my life to practising a computer game. Therefore, when I set a game to easy, I expect it (quite rightly) to be easy.

So far I've played the World Tour mode for around 3 hours I reckon. In my first hour of playing I didn't win any minigames at all. Then I won the bowling pins one once. That was about 2 hours ago (in game playing hours, I've been dropping into it between bouts of coding). That's ridiculous. The difficulty level is waaaaaaaaay off. Games should let you progress *a bit* surely?

Perhaps I'm just not hardcore enough?

Alright, I'll be civil.

Don't you think that ignoring the player's choice of difficulty level in the world tour mode will give them a negative experience when (if) they choose to play that part of the game?

I generally set most of the games I play to easy because I don't want a particularly challenging experience. I'm not the world's most adept player at the best of times. I realise this. I play games to have a laugh. I don't have the time or the inclination to dedicate hours of my life to practising a computer game. Therefore, when I set a game to easy, I expect it (quite rightly) to be easy.

So far I've played the World Tour mode for around 3 hours I reckon. In my first hour of playing I didn't win any minigames at all. Then I won the bowling pins one once. That was about 2 hours ago (in game playing hours, I've been dropping into it between bouts of coding). That's ridiculous. The difficulty level is waaaaaaaaay off. Games should let you progress *a bit* surely?

Perhaps I'm just not hardcore enough?

That's better :blink:

World Tour is an odd one. You've probably noticed that even if you fail one of the minigames, it still pumps up your stats. This was a design decision to ensure that no matter the players ability, we still give some reward for play. Increased stats lead to the minigames becoming easier, it's then balanced by once you progress to key stages - the level of difficulty is increased - but only on reaching a level of skill.

In terms of each game, there are also tips prior to each minigame. Some require different styles of shot- we try and make this clear. For example, the Prize Sniper game is meant to teach Serve power and position.

With the amount of content in there, it has proven difficult to balance. We actually toned it down in recognition that this is portable console. We've not purposely aimed this at a hardcore market - with a launch title there is always the urge that maybe we should (since most early adopters are hardcore gamesplayers).

At the same time, we've got to make sure that it's not too easy. It's a fine line.

If we'd have implemented a overall skill level adjustment, it would have meant a hell of a lot of balancing - there hundreds of events in the World Tour mode as it stands. For this reason, we decided to concentrate on balancing it at a steady level of difficulty, but have the backup that failed attempts still counted to something. Sometimes you have to make these choices to ensure that production and QA of a game is managable.

Where I realise you may be having difficulty with the World Tour, and I'm sorry if this is the case, I can offer you some tips if there is any one of the modes you are finding troublesome.

For each minigame, try to adapt the style to the challange. New players generally don't understand the importance of position and shot style. If you've played the other modes, you can get through with just X and hitting the shots back. For the minigames though, this won't work. The same is true with later matches and if you put the game on Hard.

At first, I found the minigames bloody hard (especially at 10fps! - if you think it is hard now, you should have played some of the Alpha versions), with experience even I still struggle with some of them. However, the skills I've learnt from these games have made me quite formidable in Multiplayer. Well against noobs anyway :D

As I've said, give it some time, if you still find it tricky let me know where you are fighting it and I'll sort you some info out. Once you know the trick, it generally falls into place.

At the end of the day - and this is not a get out clause - you can't please all players all the time. I'd like to think we've done our best to get close to it, but I know it's never going to happen. For those we can't please, I'd like to think I can offer some help and explanation as to the decisions we've made, so at least they understand there is some logical reason behind them!

---

S0L

---

The game does auto-save after you play a mini game you know, so how does that not suit handheld gaming? How long does a mini game take to complete- 30 Seconds maybe? Complaining that it doesn't suit handheld gaming is stretching it a bit, even the World Tour tournaments only take 10/15mins each.

you have to play them in order to make your player in any way competitive in the main game

No.

Well if you want to play the MAIN game you have to.  Which is the full problem.

No.

It's Virtua Tennis. World Tour isn't the "main game", the Tournament mode and the single matches are.

In Outrun 2, you wouldn't think of the lousy Mission mode as the "main game" - it's all about the arcade races. Same deal with Virtua Tennis. World Tour is just a bonus, and a shitty one at that. Sumo should had the confidence to ship it without, just as they should have had the confidence to release Outrun 2 without all those bullshit minigames.

The World Tour is shit. Don't play it. The character builder is the most limited thing ever. Don't bother with it.

You're honestly going to sit and play something you don't enjoy on the off chance that it'll let you get to something that you might enjoy? I've never understood that logic. Just ignore it and play the fun bits, and if the unlockables are that important to you, just download a save from whoever's stupid enough to struggle through the shitty World Tour.

I'm a VT fanboy.

I bought it yesterday. It's ace. It's exactly what I was hoping for, and I just can't wait playing in the pub with mates, and not bothering watching ladies I'll never get or talking about boring jobs with self-named friends.

World tour is shit, yes. It was on VT2 too. I never bothered, and couldn't give a shit.

Onion : you are rude.

Edit : only complaints so far, the loading times and all those little "freezing" moment - I always fear it crashed.

So anyone who has a valid point about your work should shut up and send the game back? You don't feel at all bad releasing a product that a very large number of people are all levelling the same criticism at?

Onion, you got to remember in games development that a lot more than 5 people work on each game. If people moan to you about your program then thats fair enough but when you got 30 people all inputting their ideas or talent it can make things go wrong or not so smoothly. At the end of the day sumo are commissioned by Sega to make a game and then sega publish it. It'd be like me going to you to get a website done. I commission you to make the website but publishing it is my choice wether you have done a good job or not.

No.

No.

It's Virtua Tennis.  World Tour isn't the "main game", the Tournament mode and the single matches are. 

In Outrun 2, you wouldn't think of the lousy Mission mode as the "main game" - it's all about the arcade races.  Same deal with Virtua Tennis.  World Tour is just a bonus, and a shitty one at that.  Sumo should had the confidence to ship it without, just as they should have had the confidence to release Outrun 2 without all those bullshit minigames.

The World Tour is shit.  Don't play it.  The character builder is the most limited thing ever.  Don't bother with it.

You're honestly going to sit and play something you don't enjoy on the off chance that it'll let you get to something that you might enjoy?  I've never understood that logic.  Just ignore it and play the fun bits, and if the unlockables are that important to you, just download a save from whoever's stupid enough to struggle through the shitty World Tour.

For me I enjoy a career mode in a sports game. As S0l has said, it is there to provide longetivity to a title. Look how wonderfully it works in Hot Shots golf. I enjoy watching my player get gradually better.

If they had not included any mode like this then yes, I would probably be having more fun now as I played as Federer on the train to work. But I would imagine that after a week or so it would only ever be out in my PSP to play the odd multiplayer game.

The world tour I hoped would allow me to develop a player, and be proud when Instarted winning tournaments. Hey, it might yet according to S0l.

But my main criticism stands, you go FAR too long without being able to play a match. I think I am currently ranked just outside the top 200, and its a real slog at the minute trying to get my rtank up, especiually as playing seems to be the only way to do that, catch 22 situation!

I maintain they should let you enter any tourney you want from the start of the tournament, not this starting in the semis rubbish. Then getting to the quarters of a tourney with your rookie player would seem like a massive achievement. Your progression would be much more normal.

They should of made progressing in tournies would add to your stats also, with the mini games a way to supplement this for those willing to do so.

anyway, thanks for the replying to our feedback Sol.

Sure no probs :)

I don't mind helping - I just like to ensure that people get a balanced view of the game, rather than the 'DuDe YoU SuCkZoRsLOL1010101' type of post (and that's not aimed at anyone on here, well, not yet anyway!)

---

S0L

---

I've been reading through the posts in this thread and I can't seem to find a definitive answer telling me whether the PAL version of Virtua Tennis will force a firmware update. (Maybe I've missed the post.)

I've got a US PSP with firmware 1.50. Will VT force an update to 1.52 or 2.00?

Thanks.

I've been reading through the posts in this thread and I can't seem to find a definitive answer telling me whether the PAL version of Virtua Tennis will force a firmware update. (Maybe I've missed the post.)

I've got a US PSP with firmware 1.50.  Will VT force an update to 1.52 or 2.00?

Thanks.

Off the top of my head, it comes with the 1.52 firmware update, though I've not got one of the retail disks yet, so I can't 100% confirm this.

Definately doesn't come with the 2.0 firmware though, wasn't available when the UMD's were pressed.

---

S0L

---