IGNORED

Retro Gamer Issue 19 Delayed Further

roberthazelby

Taken from the RG forums...

Having just phoned Live in connection with a bulk magazine order that has not arrived, I was told that Retro Gamer issue 19 has been further put back to ‘sometime around the first week in September’. Obviously, we’ll need to wait for official confirmation, though the following were pointers re a delay anyway:-

No anticipation thread

No subscribers having received early copies

No ‘advert’ on the site’s main page

Please don't flood Live with emails and phonecalls chasing confirmation. I'm sure they'll clarify when the time is right.

Sadly, I can almost hear The Death March being played in the distance.

This doesn't look good for the mag.

Next week is the first week of September, so we'll soon find out.

I hope someone else (not Future, thanks) has a go at a regular retro mag; I do enjoy reading about old games so much more than new ones. The GamesTM lot being my prime candidates for the job, even though that would almost certainly kill off GamesTM itself.

The GamesTM lot being my prime candidates for the job, even though that would almost certainly kill off GamesTM itself.

Lot, lot? If only...

Apart from the odd bit of freelance from Jon or Shaun, it's normally all put together by myself (except in cases like now when I'm on holiday :)).

Whilst I'd love it if we did our own retro mag, I very much doubt it will ever happen. As has already been mentioned, it could possibly harm gamesTM ;)

Lot, lot? If only...

Apart from the odd bit of freelance from Jon or Shaun, it's normally all put together by myself

Good lord, can you imagine if they made us three write an entire mag by ourselves? :)

There's comedy potential in such a scenerio. Comedy potential that could be televised. I'm picturing something akin to "Black Books" that was on TV, except set in a publishing office (and with more drinking).

;)

Lot, lot? If only...

Apart from the odd bit of freelance from Jon or Shaun, it's normally all put together by myself (except in cases like now when I'm on holiday  :D).

Whilst I'd love it if we did our own retro mag, I very much doubt it will ever happen. As has already been mentioned, it could possibly harm gamesTM :D

Seriously, it harms itself enough.

set in a publishing office (and with more drinking)

As Black Books seriously underplayed the amount of drinking that goes on in any arm of publishing . . .

Publisher I worked at, out print buyer used to disappear around the beginning of November, and reappear sometime in January, courtesy of the hospitality of printers, typesetters and assorted old lags.

For months later he'd open his filing cabinet to pull out a quote and the drawers would clink and slosh . . .

Gone bust apparently.

From the official forum:

Hi All, This may be the last post I am allowed to make but this is news you should all know. Live publishing went into administration on Mon 22 August. I don't know if this post will stay of if I will be banned from here but I felt it was my duty as forum Mod to bring you the news when I recieved it. It is truely a sad day and my sympathies go out to all the staff at Live. Thank you all for your hard work and dedication

I'm fairly sure a RetroTM would go the same way as Retro Gamer. I just can't see a large enough fanbase for a mainstream retro newsstand mag existing.

From what I saw the mag was pretty well supported by the Retro community, despite the production values not being the best in the world. Its just the retro community isn't as big as, say, the model railway community or other niche/ hobby interests which can sustain their own newsstand mags.

Although a series of RetroTM "specials" would be ace.

Well Retro Gamer was still selling well from what I can gather, the fact is it's publisher was going down the pan.

Indeed, RG was a moneymaker. LP's demise had nothing to do with RG not making it.

I hope a more stable publisher (read Future -who else, unfortunately) will buy the title.

I did the DEF Tribute to Zzap!64 (bundled with RG18), I got awarded with a lifelong subscription to RG...shame it only lasted zero issues. Duh! :(

It's sad news.

Damn it, i still have a six month subscription to RG :)

How much is a subscription to Games TM and do i get any goodies?

No goodies, but if you get a subscription it's a mere £2 per issue!

I've got the £5.99 every three months scheme.

WELL worth it.

Rob

p.s - Sorry to hear of RG's demise, but it seemed to be going that way from all the talk I overheard at the CGE.

Apparently their sales figues had just risen about Edge's, not that that is especially high, but still...

I contacted them about 2-3 weeks ago concerning possible advertising, and they quoted their sales figures as 18000.

Not especially high, but certainly not bad.

(also, the retro gamer forums have *just* closed)

No goodies, but if you get a subscription it's a mere £2 per issue!

I've got the £5.99 every three months scheme.

WELL worth it.

damn didnt realise it was so cheap for a sub, i might actually do that..

do you keep renewing ever 3 months then? Im tempted to do the 13 issue thing, but dunno if i can afford that much this month (well it is only 26 quid i guess)

damn didnt realise it was so cheap for a sub, i might actually do that..

do you keep renewing ever 3 months then? Im tempted to do the 13 issue thing, but dunno if i can afford that much this month (well it is only 26 quid i guess)

You pay every three months.

Trust me to be on holiday when news like this is announced. I may have to wonder into work...

I contacted them about 2-3 weeks ago concerning possible advertising, and they quoted their sales figures as 18000.

That's higher than I thought it would be. Keep your overheads low and it shows a newsstand retro mag can keep itself afloat. Although, maybe it made money because of the high cover price.

I'll be sad to see it go. I didn't buy it every issue but, production values aside, it had some good stuff.

wil