IGNORED

Forthcoming Spectrum Book

roberthazelby

Just spotted a link for a forthcoming Spectrum book over on the Retro Gamer Forums:

http://zxgoldenyears.com/

Take a look. It certainly looks well worth adding to the collection when it arrives in October/November.

Edit: I've asked the author to pop over and give some background info on the book.

Rob

Edited by roberthazelby

I hope this book does EXTREMELY well.

It's basically the dream A-Z of everything for the Spectrum I take it?

I remeber myself and Disciple talking about such a coffee table almanac for other systems, like the SNES. Hell, he even started a topic ages ago.

I've never owed or played a Spectrum, but I can see the genius in such a publication.

Hopefully, if it does really well, others may be tempted to do such a thing with other systems. I know one guy in the USA has written one for the NES, though it remains unpublished, and imagine if it happened with other systems? Wow, what a dream... Imagine, if, instead of going on the internet for info, you pull out a glossy volume from your 40+ volume encyclopedia of games systems. Each volume dedicated to EVERYTHING regarding that system....

The work must have been tremendous, and I wish him plenty of success. :)

(hell, I might even buy it, just to find out what the Spectrum was like. ;) )

Wow, what a dream... Imagine, if, instead of going on the internet for info, you pull out a glossy volume from your 40+ volume encyclopedia of games systems. )

Pretty much what the digital press guide does.............

If he puts paragraph spaces into his text then I'm sold.

Bah humbug :) Paragraphs are for wimps.

Seriously, I'm still working on the layout a bit so that will change.

Anyway, a little about the book. It's certainly not an encyclopaedic volume, because that would require probably close to 7000 pages to cover the entirety of the ZX Spectrum software releases.

Instead, it's a hand-picked selection of what *I* consider to be about 250 of the best games released from 1982 on.

Probably the best way to get a good idea of what's going on would be to look at the sample pages on the website, (zxgoldenyears.com), but I'll also be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks

Andrew

Probably the best way to get a good idea of what's going on would be to look at the sample pages on the website, (zxgoldenyears.com), but I'll also be happy to answer any questions.

Thanks

Andrew

Can you tell us how many orders you are going to need to get it published and what numbers you are up to ? I pre-ordered a couple to try and speed things up.

Bah humbug ;) Paragraphs are for wimps.

Seriously, I'm still working on the layout a bit so that will change.

Good to hear. My point being that I think design and layout are fundamental to a book such as this. Design is, for me, of critical importance for a Spectrum coffee table book, given that by and large your key potential demographic (and I'd include myself in that) already know, and probably owned all the games you've written about. I might even go so far as to say it's the most important thing.

I think you're nearly there with it, but it just looks a little 'PDF' at the moment. Glad to know you are still revising it.

Keep up the good work. I'm looking forward to it.

Can you tell us how many orders you are going to need to get it published and what numbers you are up to ?  I pre-ordered a couple to try and speed things up.

As a rough guess, I'd say I've got about 20% of the pre-orders I require to completely cover the printing costs. However, due to an unexpected passing of Go, I no longer need to have the entire costs covered by pre-order.

In other words, it's about 99% certain that this will be printed, and if all goes according to plan, I'm looking to finish up the text round about the end of September, with printing occurring during October/November timeframe.

I think you're nearly there with it, but it just looks a little 'PDF' at the moment. Glad to know you are still revising it.

??? wha? I'm not sure what looking a little 'PDF' entails...

Anyway, the images on the website are pretty low rez, and don't show how nice it looks when it's printed out on paper. Of course, I'm always open to listening to opinions... I don't always act on them, but I like to listen.

As a rough guess, I'd say I've got about 20% of the pre-orders I require to completely cover the printing costs. However, due to an unexpected passing of Go, I no longer need to have the entire costs covered by pre-order.

In other words, it's about 99% certain that this will be printed, and if all goes according to plan, I'm looking to finish up the text round about the end of September, with printing occurring during October/November timeframe.

Make sure you title it Volume 1 just in case ;)

The more I look through the sample pages of this book, the more excited I get. It looks fascinating.

A few suggestions:

- Perhaps a foreward by a Spectrum celeb?

- How about tracking a few Speccy celebs down and having one page in each year with a few comments from one or two of them?

- Contact Darran Jones (Strider) of GamesTM and see if he can run a feature in the mag

Only a few ideas.

Roll on pay day when I'll be reserving my copy.

Rob

The more I look through the sample pages of this book, the more excited I get. It looks fascinating.

A few suggestions:

- Perhaps a foreward by a Spectrum celeb?

- How about tracking a few Speccy celebs down and having one page in each year with a few comments from one or two of them?

- Contact Darran Jones (Strider) of GamesTM and see if he can run a feature in the mag

Only a few ideas.

Roll on pay day when I'll be reserving my copy.

Rob

Not a bad set of ideas... I could probably persuade a couple of the old speccy lags that I know to put a forward in there... I'll consider the other option for the section title pages... I hadn't quite decided what to do with those yet, anyway...

Hmm... You think Games TM would be interested? How about it Strider? :huh: Pretty please :)

• 5 weeks later...

I've paid my £19.99, and have signed-up to the mailing list.

Here's the latest bulletin;

Hello everyone.

Thanks for signing up for the mailing list. For those of you who have pre-ordered already, many thanks J

For those that haven’t – what are you waiting for?

Actually, there’s a more concrete reason to order now if you wanted to – and that is I’m going to take off the free shipping option tomorrow.

Note: If you live outside the USA or Europe then please contact me before ordering, because I can’t do free shipping to those places.

Anyway – the progress so far…

I’ve done the first draft up to 1986 – which covers around 150 of the 250 pages, and it’s looking really nice so far. 1985 and 1986 were my favourite years, so these two are really fun to write.

Of course, I still have to go back and edit the previous years – maybe expand some areas and reduce others.  In fact, I may well be asking some of you on this mailing list whether you’d be prepared to look at some of the weaker pages in order to garner some comments and edits.

Also, I had an amusing idea that I thought might be fun. If anyone wants to try their hand at ‘guest-writing’ a page for the book, then go ahead and look at any of the games in 1987 onwards. Take a look at the sample pages on the website http://www.zxgoldenyears.com and let me know what page you’d be interested in writing. In return, you get your name immortalized on the page as a byline. Extra points for picking games from higher years J

Thanks

Andrew Rollings

:ph34r:

Just found this thread, and you can count me on putting in an order, just have to wait till payday......

This forum will be the death of me, but at least i will die happy, even if it will be bankrupt :)

BTW: It looks very impressive from the screenies so far.....ace work there ;)

As a matter of interest, how many would be interested in a design-led book on videogames - think of something like this but retro and current videogame inspired?

It's something I've been working on for a while now, but kind of lost enthusiasm thinking no-one would be interested.

I vaguely recall there's already at least one book like that out already. Gave it a quick look, wasn't hugely impressed - lots of pretty pictures but very little text. Unless you go into lots of detail to give the story behind the images I can't imagine it'd be a big seller. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. Do you have any sample pages of your work in a similar vein to the Speccy book website from the top of this thread? Books are very subjective things so its hard to say if I'd be swayed until I've had a look.

I vaguely recall there's already at least one book like that out already.

Any idea what it's called? Just out of interest like...

There is more text in my book than that one, it was a pretty poor example but the first thing that came to mind.

I don't have any images to hand but will post them in the next day or so.

**sorry Andrew, didn't mean to hijack your thread!**