IGNORED

Super Play Scores

:( I wanted to reply to the SP DVD thread but it's been locked for unrelated reasons, so:

Anyway, I wish more people had this, we could then debate scores until the cows come home.

96% for Super Street Fighter II? What was that all about? SP was famously strict on scores compared to other mags of the day, but they always had a boner for SFII, and giving this sequel the same score as the superior Street Fighter II Turbo, even though Super Street Fighter II Turbo had been in the arcades for ages, was verging on fanboyism. And that's ignoring the extortionate asking price.

And as I said back in the day on the Edge forum, what the hell was the Mottster on when he reviewed World Cup '94? Better than Sensible Soccer? Get the fuck out of it :(

That is all for now.

Yay! Another Superplay thread! ;)

What I want to know is, if mags like Superplay could cater to the import community, often with more import reviews than domestic ones, why can't modern mags do that? Remember how they used to then every so often have a brief few pages just recapping what was being released? Saying stuff like,

"Well, these are now finally coming out in the UK, even though we've been playing them for months, etc."

Imagine a modern multi-format mag in the style of Superplay (or the closest USA equivalent, "Diehard GameFan"). Ahh, what bliss. Even though I started playing import games as a youngin, on the Famicom, Superplay really opened my eyes to international import gaming. They were clearly profitable with such a stance, and I find it tragic that there is no modern day equivalent. I guess writing about imports just isn't profitable anymore?

Anyway, SCORES!

Shadowrun - 85% - The review text doesn't match the final score. There was little criticism raised, yet I think jurassic Park got 89%. Hmm, a little strange methinks.

Carrier Aces - 39% - WTF? The guy complained that there wasn't enough strategy? The whole review is weird, like they only played it for a few minutes, or not at all!

Also, surely Mario RPG (81%) and Super Metroid (92%) were scored a bit low? SSF2 score seems too high actually.

Also, keen eyed readers may notice a slight mistake in one issue.... They said Metroid was originally released on Famicom cartridge in japan, when it was actually released on the Famicom Disk System...

Ahh, sweet nostalgia. ^_^

You have to remember that like many current magazines not all reviews were done by the core mag staff so it's quite likely that you'll get some 'rogue' scores etc. creeping in. Especially when the fulltimers haven't played the game in question.

People also have their off days ;)

As far as the old issues scanned on CD issue goes I, personally, don't have any problem with it but I can understand Future wanting to protect what is, after all, their property. It's usually prudent to keep control over this sort of thing. Let one go through and it opens the floodgates for all sorts of copyright theft.

Unfortunately it sometimes looks like compaines are stamping on the little guys.

Maybe they want to do some retro mag thing with their old titles (and no, I don't know if they are - just speculating)

And as I said back in the day on the Edge forum, what the hell was the Mottster on when he reviewed World Cup '94? Better than Sensible Soccer? Get the fuck out of it ;)

Sensi on the SNES was pure and utter shite. Whoever was responsible for the conversion needed to be introduced the fine upstanding gentlemen of SO19.

It was washed out, sluggish and unresponsive and utterly incapable of playing a good game of sensi. Seriously, play the Megadrive conversion of Sensi followed by the SNES conversion then try and defend it. You really can't.

Sensi on the SNES was pure and utter shite. Whoever was responsible for the conversion needed to be introduced the fine upstanding gentlemen of SO19.

It was washed out, sluggish and unresponsive and utterly incapable of playing a good game of sensi. Seriously, play the Megadrive conversion of Sensi followed by the SNES conversion then try and defend it. You really can't.

this is true. even if the MD version wasn't as good as the Amiga one, at least it played ok.

RE: SNESI SOCCER.

1. It was still miles better than WC'94.

2. It was the first version of Sensi I played, and I thought it was fab. True, the MD version was the superior conversion, but the SNES version had some extra stuff all to itself. Like... the 3D thingy for the replays...

3. If people want to say it was awful... Super Play's Sensi

review score: what was that all about?

Aha! Wil speaks his thoughts on Superplay.

Did you ever think that a decade later people would still be talking about things written in Superplay? Or indeed have access to every word printed? It must be quite unnerving.

(I'm almost tempted to rifle through the back issues and quote something really old, but that would mean ejecting a music CD in order to pop the SP DVD in... so I won't :lol: )

Everyone seemed to give World Cup 94 a good review

Only glad that I managed to trade it for Sensible Soccer

edit: Oh by the way Will, how do you explain that review of Super Ghouls n' Ghosts? :wacko:

Sensible Soccer wasn't that bad on the SNES - it just had a slightly different feel to the other versions

Also because of Nintendo's rip off cartrdige pricing at the time it was only a 4 meg cartridge compared to the 8 meg Megadrive one (it cost a tenner more as well)

edit: Oh by the way Will, how do you explain that review of Super Ghouls n' Ghosts?  :D

By the fact that I wasn't full-time on the team at that point, was living halfway across the country and didn't write it :wacko:

I bought that from ACE in London for £70! Ahh, import memories!

There should be a ban on all topics like this in future.

"OMG THEY RATED THIS GAME TOO HIGH AND THIS GAME TOO LOW WHEN IT SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY ROUND. WHY DON'T THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE WRITING ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE ARTICLES AGREE WITH ME?!?!? *whine whine*"

It's quite pathetic.

96% for Super Street Fighter II? What was that all about? SP was famously strict on scores compared to other mags of the day, but they always had a boner for SFII, and giving this sequel the same score as the superior Street Fighter II Turbo, even though Super Street Fighter II Turbo had been in the arcades for ages, was verging on fanboyism. And that's ignoring the extortionate asking price.

Super Play :( Great mag...

Anyways, I seem to remember that there was also a second opinion added to the SSF2 review which was more critical than the main bit of review text was.... (may be thinking of another review though)

And didn't they assume that a speed cheat was included (the cheats section was like "argh still no speed cheat" every month after that) and when it turned out there wasn't, SF2T was acknowledged as being the better game in their "100 best snes games ever"-feature in issue 42 or 43 or something...

There should be a ban on all topics like this in future.

"OMG THEY RATED THIS GAME TOO HIGH AND THIS GAME TOO LOW WHEN IT SHOULD BE THE OTHER WAY ROUND. WHY DON'T THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE WRITING ENTIRELY SUBJECTIVE ARTICLES AGREE WITH ME?!?!? *whine whine*"

It's quite pathetic.

Actually, I thought it was ironically humour.

People get so worked up with modern mags, I found this to be slightly irreverent poking of fun. I wasn't really serious. For goodness sake, the mag is over a decade old and the games can be emulated for free before buying them.

I have often said that Superplay is my personal favourite mag from back in the day, followed closely by Diehard GameFan. I meant no disrespect. I was, as they say, having a laugh.

Surely we can all have fun nostalgically looking back?

I actually find it's more a case of how our tastes change. I would have agreed with many scores back in the day, I was a huge SSF2 fan. But then I moved on to other beat-em-ups. Games age in different ways, etc.

Jeez, dude, lighten up.

Surely the fact that we are still discussing such old mags proves that we have a great fondness for them? Your post was way overboard.