IGNORED

Buying A Jag

Well, I think I'm gonna buy an Atari Jaguar this weekend - someone at work's selling one boxed with two pads and Cybermorph, Brutal Sports Football, Sensible Soccer, Iron Soldier, Powerdrive Rally, Kasumi Ninja, Doom and Tempest 2000 plus a few more they've forgotten and I've always wanted to play Tempest 2000, basically.

Just started looking on t'interweb to see what other games are about and aside from Alien vs Predator, there's a couple that look good - Ruiner Pinball, Defender 2000 and Skyhammer amongst them.

So. Three questions.

1. Does anyone have any other game recommendations?

2. Is it true the Jag is region free?

3. Anyone got any advice for a Jaguar newbie?

i really, really wouldnt bother to be honest. My mate bought one for about £20 and he bought some games. They were all pretty crap to be honest.

The only one he wanted that he didnt get was AvP but its quite expensive to buy of ebay etc. The others he had - Doom, Theme Park, Kasumi Ninja, Brutal Sports football were all pretty ropey - and you can get better versions for the PC (well doom and themepark).

Not really, and I've got one :lol: AvP seems very, er, unpolished now. Best game on the system, imho, is Tempest 2K and it might be worth a go if you want to put some time into Iron Soldier. I really can't think of any other reason though. Even Minter's other games on the system were crap.

That said, if it is a total bargain then snap it up for T2K.

Ooof, yeah. Rayman is brilliant on the Jag. I got Raiden too, not a bad conversion but... it's Raiden so who cares? <_<

You could always get one to grab a CD drive later... The Highlander game was pretty damn nice at the time. Similar style to Alone in the Dark, I managed to get all the way through it. Good luck finding a memory cartridge for it though, if you pursue a CD >_<

The CD drive usually goes for 80+ quid as its quite rare.

But there really is hardly any games for the cd drive, let alone being able to actually find any...

Rayman is pretty good on the Jaguar, but to be honest.. playing the PS1 version really isnt that much different.

Tempest 2K is good yes, but i personally wouldnt buy the system just for that.

Doom really isnt much different to playing on a pc.

Ooof, yeah.  Rayman is brilliant on the Jag.  I got Raiden too, not a bad conversion but... it's Raiden so who cares? <_<

You could always get one to grab a CD drive later... The Highlander game was pretty damn nice at the time.  Similar style to Alone in the Dark, I managed to get all the way through it.  Good luck finding a memory cartridge for it though, if you pursue a CD >_<

Raiden - Jag was £4.99 at the CGEuk...

someone at work's selling one boxed with two pads and Cybermorph, Brutal Sports Football, Sensible Soccer, Iron Soldier, Powerdrive Rally, Kasumi Ninja, Doom and Tempest 2000 plus a few more they've forgotten and I've always wanted to play Tempest 2000, basically.

Depends on the price if its worth it. I bought mine for Tempest 2k & AvP.

Tempest 2k is fun, but realistically its possibly not worth having just for that. Personally I have the space for it and its squeezed on top of my video as I never change the cart. I played T2k at Game On in Edinburgh and fell in love with it, but I'm biased being both a C64 owner and a Minter fan - I still quite fancy a Nuon for T3k. On that basis I fancy Defender myself but have never stumbled across it.

AvP is ok. Its a bit dated now, the visuals are blocky and the enemies are sprite based as in Doom so get jaggy. It can be quite intense at times - movement is slow so it makes a different game, much more strategic play needed than just run and gun. I just wanted to give it a go and keep it as a historical piece, rarely ever play it now.

I'd recommend a new pad/hacked pad if you do get into it - the Jag pad is awful. I've been playing my SNES a bit lately but decided to give T2k a blast a few days ago - the Jag pad is horribly flimsy and uncomfortable in comparison, I could feel the plastic twisting and buckling with the pressure I was putting on it. Need to sort myself out a hacked pad I think.

The system you're being offered has a game I've been after - Powerdrive Rally. If you do buy the bundle I wouldn't mind giving you a reasonable amount of cash for it. I'm not bothered about condition, as long as it works, cart only is fine. I like these styles of game but again I've never come across that one barring a couple of half hearted ebay bids I made.

I think the best games on the Jag are generally the 2D/fake 3D things rather than the true 3D poly ones. Poor Jag can't really cope too well with poly pushing.

Songbird Productions managed to knock out a few more games in recent(ish) years, but the best of those are CD based.

Oh, and if you buy another Jag, you could potentially use link play...

Many thanks for that Antiriad (and everyone else who's posted here). I'm gonna take the plunge - I know its not a Saturn but if I didn't buy it, it would only wind up in a landfill - and with Tempest 2k, Iron Soldier, Raiden and Ruiner Pinball on it that's already more games than I've trimmed my xbox collection down to!

Still interested to know if it's region free though?

And, Antiriad - I'll give you a shout about Powerdrive Rally once I've laid my hands on it...

The usual bunch mentioed above, also Defender 2000 and Iron soldier are worth a look, as is Syndicate, bubsy, cannon fodder, theme park. The usual multi platform titles at the time.

There is Myst for the CD, there are a limited number of games though.

My original system died on me. I think this was a feature of them in terms of life span.

As getting hold of games, there are a fair few locations. But if you are having trouble finding one. The only source is Telegames in Wigston. But expect to way over the top.

Defender 2000 is ace. Really, really good.

There are three different modes, but I just love playing the arcade version.

If you can get it for under a fiver I'd recommend Zool 2. It's not brilliant, but may give you an hour or so play before you get bored.

Pinball Dreams/Fantasies (can't remember which one it is) is also very good.

Many thanks for that Antiriad (and everyone else who's posted here). I'm gonna take the plunge - I know its not a Saturn but if I didn't buy it, it would only wind up in a landfill - and with Tempest 2k, Iron Soldier, Raiden and Ruiner Pinball on it that's already more games than I've trimmed my xbox collection down to!

Still interested to know if it's region free though?

And, Antiriad - I'll give you a shout about Powerdrive Rally once I've laid my hands on it...

Thanks for not letting it get binned, I hate that, and thanks again for the offer of the cart. I'll let you play it for yourself first, I'm in no rush, dozens of unplayed games at this end - Don't know how you can force yourself to whittle down games to that extent :D

Digging up some old links that might be worth a look:

16/32 Systems

Seems to still be trading. Dig deep enough and there are games and the all important AV cables. The default RF output isn't great so you might want to buy one of these. Something else I'll be visiting Mr Visa for myself now I've been reminded about the fact I need one (didn't have enough scart sockets before but I sorted that last week).

The Jaguar FAQ here confirms the JAG is region free - someone bought a US NTSC cart and it worked fine on a UK PAL system. Not sure if it'l suffer the B&W display that sometimes happens with RF though. The cables above should sort that out if it is a problem.

Jeff's Jaguar Jungle is not bad for lists of games, rebiews, screenshots etc so you've some idea of what you're getting into.

Most of the links I had are dead now [sniff]

It came out on PC as well...

...and it's got its own page on Home of the Underdogs.

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=2337

Tempest 2K on the PC is horrible, I have it. Not a patch on the Jag version. It just seems horribly blocky and whatnot. Maybe its just the clarity of VGA, I'm not sure, its years since I tried it for comparison. I just remember not liking it at all.

There's Tempest X3 on the PS1. But we're not supposed to bring that up as Yak doesn't like it as the gameplay is 'broken' in his opinion. I've not gone back and tried that either since I bougth my Jag, but I was happy with it at the time. I don't think the PS1 version played so hard, I can't seem to get quite as far with the Jag version.

Someone made a freeware rip off of it that was just a few K in size for the PC. Iirc Minter was not a happy chappy about that either and refused to give it his blessing.

Minster didnt actually make tempest though did he? By that i mean the original.

No, Dave Theurer wrote the original Atari arcade game. Minter added some significant gameplay tweaks to it though, making his version more of a sequel/update than a straight remake. The Saturn/PS1 & homebrew versions are pretty close copies of Minter's version rather than the arcade one though, especially in their visual style.

You think I'd own up to playing it? I'm so middlecore, I've fucking completed it! HA!

It's completely balls. Very, very nice pre-rendered sprites but they're just thrown around on the screen to be shot at. There's absolutely no structure to the game at all. The first level is the same as the last, except for the change in graphics. And there's no depth to the graphics either; great for still, bollocks moving. It's truly, truly dire.

Go on, boot it up. It's worth it to see how appalling a game really can be.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finally had a chance to play through this.

Of the games I've got Tempest 2000 is the only one I've got any joy out of. It's tough, and the jaguar pad feels plasticky and slow, which means it's a ready scapegoat when you get killed just as you're about to beat level 31, but its gameplay is a good mix of reflex and planning. Can't really see anything dislodging it from the machine as it stands.

Here's the others...

Brutal Sports Soccer looks interesting in the screenshots- kind of like a viking version of Speedball, with some alright character design - but as soon as you see if moving your eyes will bleed - it's a juddering mess even though it's apparently only trying to shift about a dozen sprites and the animation is non-existent.

Sensible Soccer could be alright, but it's so fast and the opposition incredibly tough! I couldn't get the ball out my penalty box for most of the first half, but might try again.

Doom - an exercise in nostalgia but not really playable. It's slow and I'm pretty sure they've dropped lots of animation frames on the enemies.

Kasumi Ninja is horrible. This kind of Mortal Kombat rip off was pretty much what I imagined mid 90's games to be like before the dreamcast appeared and I started to get interested in games again after years away. It's an ugly game really - couple of half amusing ideas (the fireball the gameskeeper Willy Scot character launches from under his kilt as a special move) but it's just not fun to play. Rubbish animation, crap moves, lots of blood, dull.

Iron Soldier looks like it might be okay, although at the moment my mighty steel warrior of power is unable to turn more than 180 degress. Hmmm...

Power Drive Rally looks to combine a micro machines viewpoint with a Colin Macrae detail. Might be decent.

So. A bit rubbish overall. Currently considering whether I could sell the lot (the Jag itself is boxed and complete in near mint condition) and buy a Saturn instead!

Antiriad - I've dropped you a line about Power Drive Rally.

Tempest 2000, Defender, Alien VS Predator, and if you can afford it, Battelsphere (which once went for over a grand) are the only things worth playing. Actually... They're the only Jag games I own!

Also, did "Black Ice White Noise" get released on the Jag cartridge or CD? Did it ever even get completed? It looked rather good, like a nifty Shadowrun-type cyberpunk thriller.

Also, did "Black Ice White Noise" get released on the Jag cartridge or CD? Did it ever even get completed? It looked rather good, like a nifty Shadowrun-type cyberpunk thriller.

Afaik it was cancelled late in development. Could have been picked up and released since then though - Songbird Productions have done that with a couple of old Jag games that were near completion.

Tempest 2000, Defender, Alien VS Predator, and if you can afford it, Battelsphere (which once went for over a grand) are the only things worth playing. Actually... They're the only Jag games I own!

I had a Jag until a few months ago when I flogged it on eBay. I got about £350 for my copy of BattleSphere on its own and was well chuffed. In all honesty most of the games on the system were utter crap. The only one worth playing is Tempest 2000. PowerDrive rally is shit as well, for the person who was wondering.