IGNORED

Arrested Development Topic In Cold Brown Taste!

McNeillR

6 hours ago, ZOK said:

There’s a series 2? I really enjoyed the first series, even though it wasn’t amazing. How does the second stack up?

It's short and feels disjointed and rushed BUT I still enjoyed it and still like the vibe, for want of a better word.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am a big fan of the first two series, but have never been able to get past the first few episodes of the third season, mainly because of the awful 'for british eyes only' plotline/Charlize Theron's character. Does it get any better or should I just stick with rewatching series 1 and 2?

They've done the impossible and made me dislike the show I love the most. Parts are funny, but for the most part it is hard to watch.

5 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

The dubbing is bizarrely awful. Not sure why.

It was kind of like that in the first netflix season (4?) when they had the actors acting opposite doubles, but it seems like this time round thats not the case. Its painful at times to see the sound so out of sync with their lips. 

Apparently the dubbing problems are due to them literally piecing together a lot of the dialogue in editing. The whole second half of the season feels rushed, and whilst I've still enjoyed parts of it, most of the characters are just annoying - particularly Tobias, so much so that I'm questioning whether he was actually good in the first place.

Time to kill it dead now.

Spoiler

Much like Buster did to Lucille 2, which to be fair was a pretty great reveal.

I'm really struggling with this. The fact that they kept terrible storylines and characters from season 4 (the Fakeblock shit needs to just piss off) and added more godawful characters (Tobias' "son" wtf) for this series is bizarre and desperate. Tbh I don't even know what is happening in it any more it's so unfocused.

I have been in denial about how crap it has become but seeing as I can barely make it through an episode without getting bored says it all.

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/03/2019 at 18:43, Flams said:

They've done the impossible and made me dislike the show I love the most. Parts are funny, but for the most part it is hard to watch.

It was kind of like that in the first netflix season (4?) when they had the actors acting opposite doubles, but it seems like this time round thats not the case. Its painful at times to see the sound so out of sync with their lips. 

Something is really off with the sound mix at times it is giving me a headache. There's so much dubbing and overly loud music at times to cover up mistakes or changes.

Did anyone enjoy this season? I'm barely a few episodes in and it isn't even holding my attention. The editing, timing and scripting used to be so tight but this feels like they only did a single take of each scene and then moved on and tried to cover up any mistakes in post.

• 1 year later...

We watched all of these from the start, for the first time, over the last couple of months, and I've been catching up with this thread after each season to see how close we were to the hive mind's opinions. And I have to say, pretty close! We watched the S4 remix because that's what Netflix serves up to you, but I'm tempted to dig out the originals now I know they're hidden away in there. Even in its remix form we found the first few episodes of S4 a bit weird and flat, but by the end we were ready to agree with Zok that it's probably the best of the lot. And S5 really does drop off a cliff. We stuck with it hoping for an S4-style payoff where all the "difficult" episodes were revealed to be essential threads in a design of genius complexity, but it never happened. By the last episode it seemed like everyone involved was desperate to get it over with. What a shame.

I always thought the third series was still considered to be on par with the first couple. It was obviously truncated but still just as funny. The others are intangibly off in some way, which I don't think is new information to anyone. Feel like it had a film left in the tank, but that many new episodes was a tall order for something so dense.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just started watching this again (maybe prompted by Jessica Walter’s death) and it blows my mind how properly laugh out loud funny it is, just primo stuff.

The bit where they set up the tv link from prison and George Michael is trying to use the telly and doesn’t realise it’s still linked (‘So when they were saying ‘come here boy, I was boy?’) had me on the floor.

I rewatched the first series a month or so ago and it beats everything.

Hermano and Tio.  Bees? Justice is blind.   Michael can't tell one Mexican from another.  Annyong.  Light treason.

So many great running jokes that intersect in surprising ways.   I'm still finding new things in it all these years later.