Hdtv = Gaming Disaster?

JPickford (retired mod)

This is NOT TRUE. If the VGA rez doesnt match the native rez of the panel exactly then some scaling has to be done... and that can add lag to the picture if not done with decent hardware. Some HDTVs will add processing lag on HD picture regardless of their input type.

Mine matches it exactly and indeed there is no lag. :huh:

My 46" Samsung DLP has .2 of a second lag. It makes the TV useless for anything that will not upscale. However, if you do, the results are awesome. the Xbox suffers from lag, but a component cable removes that, as long as you mess about with the dashboard and get the USA settings up. The dreamcast looks beautiful in VGA and the Xbox 360 is fine, because it's outputting in HD anway. However, I don't have a way of connecting the PS2 other than scart, so Gradius 5 becomes impossible.

There are two really annoying points to this though. My Japanese PS1 and my old Philips CD-I have the lag - but they also display about 3 frames per second, and no-one has ever been able to explain why this would be.

Also, the lag on the TV means that, if you connect an amplifier to the DVD player, the sound comes out of your fancy 5.1 system correctly, but the downscaling means the picture is .2 of a second behind, so the mouths don't fit in on movies. To me, this makes the set "not fit for purpose" because who buys a huge Tv if they are not interested in home cinema?

I've been really disappointed with my TV, but then, when realising how little time I actually spend on the old consoles, it's not something I worry about now. The 360 looks fantastic.

And also, if you are thinking of getting a DLP, watch out for the "rainbow effect" because if you are one of those people that can see it, it can be really offputting.

Also, the lag on the TV means that, if you connect an amplifier to the DVD player, the sound comes out of your fancy 5.1 system correctly, but the downscaling means the picture is .2 of a second behind, so the mouths don't fit in on movies. To me, this makes the set "not fit for purpose" because who buys a huge Tv if they are not interested in home cinema?

Most decent home cinema amps have a delay you can configure to bring the audio back in line with the picture... fine for movies, but still doesnt solve gaming where your inputs dont match whats on screen or what the console expects of you (eg in a rhythm game)

This is NOT TRUE. If the VGA rez doesnt match the native rez of the panel exactly then some scaling has to be done... and that can add lag to the picture if not done with decent hardware. Some HDTVs will add processing lag on HD picture regardless of their input type.

Well, yeah. I was wondering though, this must also apply to PC monitors as well then.

I have to say, I can kinda see where angel is coming from on this. I've got (I think) the same telly as him, and whatever lag there is is unnoticeable. Having this thread in mind, I actually played and looked for it last night. Didn't spot a thing.

I can't see the lag on my Toshiba either. I use my Wii in 480i mode through component (my lousy component switchbox won't pass the Wii's 480p signal for some godforsaken reason) and I was playing with the pointer last night, seeing if I could see any difference between the time of my hand stopping the remote and the cursor on screen stopping. I couldn't. I know the lag must be there, but it's such a small fraction of a second that I just can't see it.

I don't notice any lag on my LG LCD.

Question though: Does this lag come from any input or is it just RGB Scart/S-video, composite? I have my PS2 hooked up through component so not sure what effect that has. Oh, and is this lag just on interlaced signals, or is it on 480p signals as well?

Basically, you will get lag (whether noticable or not) on any image source which is a different resolution to the native resolution of the screen.

You get more lag if the image is not progressive scan.

In a nutshell.

So to sum this up for eejits like me:

Component, native resolution=good

Component, upscaling=not so good

VGA = good

SD = murder your wife & kids, stick them under the patio, burn the house down and flee to South America.

RF=You still drink Quattro and wear bright orange waffle jumpers.

Yes?

Yes, but show me an LCD which has a native res of 720p. ALmost none of them do. But the 'lag' is basically nonexistant, so it doesn't matter :(

For example, I just turned my PC monitor down to 640x480 (1280x1024 native res) - I couldnt notice ANY lag! Amazing.

I'm not saying everyone is wrong, but why doesn't my 1080p set exhibit any lag when running old consoles through SD connections. It doesn't lag on anything, ever. I'd put it down to quality scaling within, and obviously any "LOL you can't see TEH LAG" responses will be ignored a bit.

Er... I'm not going to pretend that I know what you're all talking about but could someone let me know how I can minimise the lag on my 26" sammy LCD?

Are there any settings (resolution wise) that increase lag?

And how should I have my 360's display output set?

It's 480p at the mo.

Or does none of this make any difference?

Fuck I dunno.

:(

Er... I'm not going to pretend that I know what you're all talking about but could someone let me know how I can minimise the lag on my 26" sammy LCD?

Are there any settings (resolution wise) that increase lag?

And how should I have my 360's display output set?

It's 480p at the mo.

Or does none of this make any difference?

Fuck I dunno.

:(

Does your telly not do HD (720p)? :D

I don't notice any lag on my LG LCD.

Question though: Does this lag come from any input or is it just RGB Scart/S-video, composite? I have my PS2 hooked up through component so not sure what effect that has. Oh, and is this lag just on interlaced signals, or is it on 480p signals as well?

Neither do I (32LX2R). I don't deny that there may be some lag, but not enough to annoy me. Almost all my gaming sources are ED/HD, except the Wii for retro.

The problems about lag in upscaled PS2 games in a PS3, as seen in the AVS forum post got me worried, so I tried yesterday (PS3 connected via Hdmi and set to 720p) Frequency and Amplitude, and both are absolutely playable. If anything, Frequency has slightly tighter timing. However, the same test using a Dual Shock+usb adapter instead of the Sisaxis is a total failure, horrible lag, but obviously not related to the TV.

Does your telly not do HD (720p)? -_-

Yes it does, should I switch it to that on the 360?

I've tried all of them, and they all work (480, 720, 1080).

Which shall I use?

Anything I need to change on the telly itself?

EDIT: 1080i works, not 1080p. That goes all weird.

What would be better, 720p or 1080i?

I have no idea what the difference is and they look the same to my eyes, so I suppose it doesn't matter?

Yes it does, should I switch it to that on the 360?

I've tried all of them, and they all work (480, 720, 1080).

Which shall I use?

Anything I need to change on the telly itself?

Blimey!

Yeah - 720p. And ensure you've set the lead to HD. You're about to have the cateracts removed from your eyes.

I can see clearly now the rain has gone!

woot!

Looks brilliant, I shall get my new copy of Gears of War on and have a look.

Thanks guys.

-_-

Just so I can stop dying here, please tell me you've only just got your 360 or TV and haven't been playing your 360 games at 480p for any length of time.

Are you using the component cable that came with the 360 or a VGA one?

Just so I can stop dying here, please tell me you've only just got your 360 or TV and haven't been playing your 360 games at 480p for any length of time.

Are you using the component cable that came with the 360 or a VGA one?

-_-

I'm afraid you're going to die. I've had it 3 months.

Oh dear. Er, VGA? I'm using the component cable that came with the 360, with the TV<>HDTV slider switch on it...

Is that bad? Have I just put another nail in your coffin?

-_-

Oh dear. Er, VGA? I'm using the component cable that came with the 360, with the TV<>HDTV slider switch on it...

No - thats fine. In my limited experience component is better than VGA.

-_-

I think I'll pull through, just. Not trying to be an ass, it's just I've never heard of any 360 owners who didn't know it was best set to 720p...I wonder if there are more of you out there suffering what you've had to.

Component is fine, it's just, if you were using VGA we could point you in the direction of some other settings you'd have to check.

Enjoy. :)

I think I'll pull through, just. Not trying to be an ass, it's just I've never heard of any 360 owners who didn't know it was best set to 720p...I wonder if there are more of you out there suffering what you've had to.

Component is fine, it's just, if you were using VGA we could point you in the direction of some other settings you'd have to check.

Enjoy. -_-

I'm a creative mac user-type... don't know much about numbers etc.

All I had to compare my 360 to was a ps2 with a scart lead!

But my telly looks great now. You mean you need VGA to check for lag? Millisecond delays and stuff like that?

I've never 'noticed' any lag, but then I suppose I wouldn't have if it's always been there.

The last thing I need is more lag when I'm shooting Americans online.

Great quote about this new LCD stuff on AVS forums.

Some day we'll all look back on the CRT like we do the carburetor...sure those first few years of fuel injection had their problems, but who really wants to be trying to get their carbed 78 Impala started on a January morning?

Probably true as well. Flat panels will surpass CRT's soon enough.

Regarding the guy with his Xbox set to 480p...

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Must be a nice surprise though after 3 months for everything to just step up a gear in awesomeness though.

My mum has sky plus running through composite plugged into the side of her LCD -_-

Just finished playing god of war II on the PS3. There was either some slight lag or the QTE's are REALLY tight.

Great quote about this new LCD stuff on AVS forums.

Probably true as well. Flat panels will surpass CRT's soon enough.

I think we need something better than Plasma or LCD tho, with the potential death of SED it's not looking good. It is easy to forget all the issues with CRT - i guess they were just easier to live with/harder to notice.

Plus some nice carbs and trumpets is still better than any injection setup -_-:)