Zelda: Twilight Princess

I'm replaying the original Zelda, as it happens. Just beat the 8th dungeon.

SPECTACLE ROCK IS AN ENTRANCE TO DEATH

It's all still really impressive, in its own way. I wish we could have another one that just left you alone to discover everything for yourself...

STOP! HAMMER TIME!

Ico is still one of the best looking games I've ever seen, after all these years. It's gorgeous and a great example of how to make everything look right within technical limitations.

I hear you.

I've just been re-playing Ocarina, and would say much the same about that. Although it's technically dated, I've seldom played such a good looking or sounding game. It's about the general art direction, and, more specifically, the sheer cinematic-ness of the cut-scenes.

Loads of people would say it looks crap because it's low-res, and run around shouting about how great hi def is, but that's not really what makes things look good in any meaningful way. Similarly, loads of people won't watch a brilliantly-directed movie because it's in black-and-white. Their loss.

Have you been playing Tie Fighter and Little Big Adventure for the past few years or something?

No, I merely don't tend to notice individual textures. About the only thing I' sensitive too is framerate, and even then it tends to have jump.

I'm not sure I want to notice either, in case it spoils my enjoyment of perfectly good and pretty games.

On the other hand, TWW had me saying "wow" a hell of a lot more than TP.

Having just got to the end of the first dungeon of TP, I have to say one thing is that it lacks a lot of the charm that made Wind Waker great, and I honestly think Wind Waker was a better looking game, mainly because it didn't try to look realistic and worked to the strengths of the Gamecube, whereas TP trys to look too "next gen" which makes the sometimes poor texture work and rough edges a little more obvious.

However what will win me over with TP is if it turns out to have more dungeons and last longer than Windwaker did, and not have any stupid "sailing around for 20 hours" bit to pad out the game.

Just how "Dark" is this game? Many reviews have mentioned it's a darker Zelda, but are we talking Majora's Mask level or even more than that?

I really liked the Dark/Creepy edge that Majora had so if this is similar so much the better.

It's not actually leaving it on, it's just a functional standby mode, but it also lets the console can receive messages at all times as well, the dick slot pulses blue and the remote makes a little noise to let you know when one arrives. So it does already have some uses, but I'm guessing Elebits will be the first game to use it.

Sex wii?

Just how "Dark" is this game? Many reviews have mentioned it's a darker Zelda, but are we talking Majora's Mask level or even more than that?

I really liked the Dark/Creepy edge that Majora had so if this is similar so much the better.

It's less subtle than MM. Like John Carpenter vs Hideo Nakata. You can tell its really trying and I want to praise it for that, but you're asking me to compare it to a game that is on another level from everything else IMO so until I finish TP I can't really say for sure.