Zelda: Twilight Princess

Yes, a bunch of people who never played the game were arguing about it.

Now, somebody who's actually played some thirty hours of the thing is agreeing with the naysayers. Everyone who said that the textures look fine is wrong.

The game is wonderful and beautiful, but those textures really are bad, and you WILL notice them. There's a good reason for them looking bad, and it's a reason we can forgive.

just got a 360 with a few games including gears of war. The system seems great but one thing is - it just feels like same old games with normal controls. Hence why im really looking forward to TP and will probably get more playtime than gow at the mo.

The game is wonderful and beautiful, but those textures really are bad, and you WILL notice them. There's a good reason for them looking bad, and it's a reason we can forgive.

I apologise for taking the zelda thread off course but is it reasonable to expect that wii games in the future (such as a zelda follow up) will look much better due to this title being developed for the GC essentially?

I apologise for taking the zelda thread off course but is it reasonable to expect that wii games in the future (such as a zelda follow up) will look much better due to this title being developed for the GC essentially?

I would imagine so. The game already looks wonderful, but it's let down by the muddy textures. Those textures look like that because the entire game fits into 1.5Gb.

It uses only a tiny amount of the Wii's disc because it's using all the art from the Gamecube version and (I suppose) it really isn't pushing the system at all. This is a seventy hour game, squeezed into 1.5Gb. There's tons of space left on that disc to play with.

The shots of Super Mario Galaxy already look far better than Zelda, and Zelda is lovely.

Yes. Zelda is essentially a Gamecube game in the sense that it has the cube's limitations imposed on it graphically.

I'm thirty hours in and headed towards the game's half-way point.

Now, that is fucking good news. Thanks for that, Stroker.

Out of interest, though, how do you know you're near the half-way point?

Anyway, I can't wait to play the game.

Yes, a bunch of people who never played the game were arguing about it.

Now, somebody who's actually played some thirty hours of the thing is agreeing with the naysayers. Everyone who said that the textures look fine is wrong.

I don't think I've ever noticed a texture as opposed to general ugliness / prettiness.

I don't think I've ever noticed a texture as opposed to general ugliness / prettiness.

Yes, and a bad texture could be a big part of that "general ugliness". I've only seen one example of these horrible textures, a bit where Link is climbing a tree. It's undeniably shit though, it really does look like a texture they've just reused from OoT.

Nah, there are some real stand-out parts with ugly, smudgy repeating textures.

90% of the time you won't even notice them because they work fine, then every once in a while a particularly bad one will catch your eye.

Some of the cut-scenes in this are just awesome. They really add to the story like in no other 3d zelda to date. They are directed so well.

I was looking forward to horse back combat after seeing it in the videos. But it was much better than I had expected. I just found the whole section exhilirating.

The one when you finish the Sumo training and head back. The slow motion as they come around the corner, then he runs out to save her, my jaw just dropped. Then the resulting chase. Finishing off with the zooming out shot of Epona on two legs on the bridge.

I don't undertand this. Surely you'd just hold the remote in your left hand and the nunchuk in your right?

It's a small point, trivial to some maybe, but Link holds his sword in his right hand, whereas I am intending to hold the remote in my left hand, which will disrupt the continuity of my actions, compared with what's happening on screen*.

*at least, I imagine it will, maybe I'll feel different when I actually get to play the thing.

It's a small point, trivial to some maybe, but Link holds his sword in his right hand, whereas I am intending to hold the remote in my left hand, which will disrupt the continuity of my actions, compared with what's happening on screen*.

*at least, I imagine it will, maybe I'll feel different when I actually get to play the thing.

.::: Trivial? You might be understating your own problem. It was a big enough point for Nintendo to mirror the entire game. I seriously can't believe they didn't include an option for lefties to play, even though Link has been one for years AND they've switched him back just to accommodate righties.

Played around 4 hours of this, it is a bit of a shame that some of the graphics do look a bit poor however once you start getting into it I can honestly say you dont really care about the graphics, this game is oozing quality all the way through.

It definately is a departure from the rest of the zelda games, even in the limited time ive played it so far it is proper dark and moody.

Yes, it's exactly the same, but in 16:9 widescreen.

Three hundred hours if you're Linkster.

I'm thirty hours in and headed towards the game's half-way point if what I've read is correct.

Fair play to Nintendo for making something I'm not in any hurry to finish. I'm just doing what I did in OOT after I realised I missed playing it. Nothing too obscure, but visiting pretty much every location I've been to after any dungeon or significant event to see what's altered. Plus bug hunting just begs you to explore everywhere, day and night.

It definately is a departure from the rest of the zelda games, even in the limited time ive played it so far it is proper dark and moody.

I'd like to have been more affected by the Twilight stuff so far - it is definitely chilling as concept.

Like them being banished to another world but not realising it

But I don't really think they've made enough of it - not having played MM anyway. Still, judging by Stroker's comments I'm still early doors.

Is it true that you can't really pan the camera around on the fly (as you can in TWW, for example) in the Wii version?

Correct, you can't do this.

Do you feel restricted in any way, though? I do like panning around! As long as you don't feel blinkered, I'm happy...

Not really. initially it bugged me because it was something I adored in TWW. But let's face it, it was there to break up the tedium of sea travel. That's simply not an issue here as there's always something to do, generally fending off shit loads of baddies.

Works exactly like OOT - if you are in a canter, you can go into FPS mode and look around.

Re: the twilight...

im hoping that there is more explanation coming up regarding the twilight, the initial cutscene of seeing princess Zelda yield was a bit different i thought, compared to getting snatched (i think, only really played OoT!). Still, if it is 60 odd hours long im sure theres more good stuff to come!