rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Andy_Why

Deadwood - TV Show

It is probably the best written show in terms of dialogue I've ever watched. The Al monologues. Fucking hell.

Last night - season2 episode 2 - after

him and Bullock have their fight he's up in his office just as Bullock arrives to get his guns and he's vocalising his rationalising of the fight whilst making these gurning faces as the prostitute blows him off and he realises how he must play it out.

I think there were tears streaming down my face at that point - if there's a gif I gotta have it.

• Upvote 1

Ordered. I mean I have it all on DVD and my current telly is the size of a box of matches but when I do get a new TV it's got to have something decent to get worn in with, right?

Very tempting. Thanks for the link Hanzo. I only have the first two seasons on DVD, so this seems like a good excuse!

nearly bought the boxed set of this last week, am glad I didnt as series one has cropped up on amazon prime video.

On episode 3 now, bloody good so far!

I got my fuckin' Blu Ray boxset from those Zavvi cocksuckers, and if it ain't the cheapest shitshow I've ever seen I'm a fuckin' Chinaman.

Seriously, it's a cheap cardboard sleeve, a low-resolution cover to the box, and not even an episode or chapter index sheet in the box.

Still, fuckin' Deadwood.

I hear the fuckin' Pinkertons were also responsible for transforming the big, chunky season boxsets of The Wire into those wafer-thin cardboard sleeve...er...cocksuckers.

I got my fuckin' Blu Ray boxset from those Zavvi cocksuckers, and if it ain't the cheapest shitshow I've ever seen I'm a fuckin' Chinaman.

Seriously, it's a cheap cardboard sleeve, a low-resolution cover to the box, and not even an episode or chapter index sheet in the box.

Still, fuckin' Deadwood.

Is it a Zavvi exclusive?

nearly bought the boxed set of this last week, am glad I didnt as series one has cropped up on amazon prime video.

On episode 3 now, bloody good so far!

Superb. Turns out it's available with the download option too (if you have a kindle fire). Think I'll be revisiting deadwood soon..

I think someone in this very thread said that Bullock becomes unintentionally hilarious if you take him as an angry moron, struggling to understand the machinations around him. This really comes into its fore when he starts fuming during long and complex speeches from other characters.

• Upvote 1

I think I said something about him being either this really complex hero figure struggling to balance his sense of justice with the realities of the camp, or he's just this barely restrained blunt instrument with a badge that he thinks gives him this moral responsibility, despite never really grasping the kind of politicking the brave new world he's in requires in order for his idea of law and order to function.

I don't find him funny in that context, but you can practically hear the gears turning and see the steam blasting out his ears as he tries to deal with his latest slight/ morally grey problem.

• Upvote 1

Ah man. That show. So fucking good. I'm not saying its better than Thrones or Breaking Bad or The Wire but it really got under my skin and I loved it!

It's definitely better than Thrones. Thrones has too much cheese and bad acting to be upper-eschelon all-time-great-telly imo.

Im not sure about that but Im tainted by the books , I can talk about them here right ? The books are so good it carries through to the series, which is a pretty good version of them , but watching the show having read the books makes it much better.

Much like Lynches adaptation of Dune, the film is better if you've read the books and the books are better if you.ve seen the film.

Deadwood is probably the best TV show. Definitely better that Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad, which are both B level shows at most. Almost definitely better better than The Wire too.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I think only Mad Men tops Deadwood for me. Breaking Bad never worked for me the way it seemed to for most people. I'm on my third attempt at that show now...

• Upvote 1

Mad Men is probably my all-time favourite show. Even when Don's repeating old shit in the later series, it never really puts a foot wrong.

Game of Thrones is essentially Eastenders with Dragons in comparison. Not that I don't love it, but it's cheesy as fuck and some of the acting is terrible. Half the cast are from Hollyoaks ffs.

Going to start this today for my commute after finishing season 4 of The Shield. Am I in for a good time then? :)

Yes!

Just finished season three and am pretty gutted it's over.

I was pretty disappointed there wasn't a big shootout at the end, it seemed like the whole thing was looking good for a fourth season the way they ended it, what happened?

Disappointed because its so good and you'll miss it or disappointed its ended abruptly and the story isn't finished! I did wonder about this because its only 3 seasons.