rllmuk
Andy_Why

Deadwood - TV Show

Ok bastards, don't you dare Delorean me, as I'm well aware that several threads have been made on this, but they all seem to fizzle out. I'm just interested in discussing this phenomenon. Where shows like Six Feet Under, BSG et al spawn huge threads, Deadwood struggles to get a page.

Which baffles me.

Yes, these other shows are great, but Deadwood is perhaps one of the finest pieces of television I've ever seen. It does take a while to get into the story, but once you do, its captivating and the acting is just flawless. Not once in that show have I ever doubted that this is a real place I'm watching. And this is the thing that surprises me. Their are a lot of folks on this board who adore great acting, scripts and dialogue and would absolutely love this. It excels in everyone of these areas. My question is 'why are they not watching it?' Because I'm quite sure they'd be on here singing its praises if they did.

So, tell me, why are you not watching Deadwood?

Oh, and I know some of you do! So wade in here and tell the other folks why they need to watch this.

Link to Film Thread

Edited by gospvg
Added link to film thread

1) Sky TV is a waste of money

2) 40 quid is too much for a DVD boxset of any description :)

There are torrents, I guess.

Thats a very good point and argument, you know.

But I would advise getting the torrents. Definitely.

I can't watch anything with Lovejoy in without getting flashbacks to him getting bummed in Sexy Beast. Its ruined my enjoyment of Deadwood.

I'm not watching Deadwood cos I already saw it on the torrentage.

I like Deadwood, it's a brilliantly written series with excellent casting. In saying all this however it lacks a heart. I understand that it's fans love it for the sheer filth of pretty much every moment, but it just makes it very hard for me personally to identify with it. So that's why I don't rabidly go on about it like I do some other shows.

• Downvote 1

Stupid question maybe but why do they swear so much.It seems oddly out of place.I missed seeing this show until I watched ten minutes last week and couldnt believe the frequency of cuss words :unsure:

• Downvote 1

I'm not watching Deadwood cos I already saw it on the torrentage.

I like Deadwood, it's a brilliantly written series with excellent casting. In saying all this however it lacks a heart. I understand that it's fans love it for the sheer filth of pretty much every moment, but it just makes it very hard for me personally to identify with it. So that's why I don't rabidly go on about it like I do some other shows.

Lacks heart? I couldn't disagree with you more to be honest. I've seen more genuinely emotional moments in that show than in any other. I'd also disagree that its fans enjoy it due to the filth. In fact, I find it hard to believe that people make such a big deal about the cursing at all, certainly in this day and age. I think Deadwoods fans enjoy it for what it is, a superbly acted drama.

And sofasurfer, I think they do curse that much because thats how much people cursed back then. As it seems to drive more people away than it attracts, I can't see that they would of put the cursing in for viewing figures...

And SM47, fair enough. :)

Lacks heart? I couldn't disagree with you more to be honest. I've seen more genuinely emotional moments in that show than in any other. I'd also disagree that its fans enjoy it due to the filth. In fact, I find it hard to believe that people make such a big deal about the cursing at all, certainly in this day and age. I think Deadwoods fans enjoy it for what it is, a superbly acted drama.

I think you misunderstand me, I didn't mean either in a superficial context. It's certainly an emotional show. By 'lacking heart' I meant that it doesn't really have a pure whitehat. Everything in Deadwood is either grey or just plain black/evil. While such pure characters are often not the most entertaining they can give other actions real gravity. Deadwood is a very gritty, grimy and filthy show. The goodies are usually either whores or just psychos showing a glimmer of restraint. There are times when it goes wonderfully beyond even itself, Suffer The Little Children from Series 1 was exceptional television.

I hope it does come to terrestrial at some point, but its looking unlikely.

Its sad that a lot of you aren't getting a chance to try it.

And lfj, I don't watch a lot of TV either, but shows like this and the Sopranos really blow away so much other media in general. Few movies can match either of these series' in terms of story and impact.

I strongly believe that whether you are a movie lover or a tv fan, you'll find something to enjoy in this series.

Man, I am fanatical. Scary.

Well I got the first disc off lovefilm about a week ago, watched the first two episodes and sent it back without even watching the third. It totally failed to captivate me - maybe I should have watched the third episode but I just didn't feel that it was worth my time. Not that it's bad by any stretch - I just put it down to me not really being interested in the subject matter. But then that's the point isn't it - it should be captivating even if you only have a passing interest.

The Sopranos I love, I really enjoyed The Shield and The Wire and now I'm going to give The West Wing a go. 24 also has its moments. Deadwood though - meh.

End of the road for Deadwood?....

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/12/t...reut/index.html

'Deadwood' may be done

HBO not picking up options on actors

Friday, May 12, 2006; Posted: 8:36 a.m. EDT (12:36 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- The upcoming third season of HBO's "Deadwood" might mark the end of the dark Western.

The pay cable network has opted not to pick up the options of the actors on the show, releasing them to pursue other projects.

"Deadwood" creator David Milch is shifting his attention to "John From Cincinnati," a one-hour project he is writing for HBO. The surfing-themed drama has been ordered as a pilot, subject to finalizing deals on the financial and talent side.

HBO sources said there are conversations about the future of "Deadwood" beyond the third season, which premieres June 11. But with the actors moving on to other commitments, it is highly unlikely that all the main cast members would be available to do additional episodes in the future.

HBO is a unit of Time Warner, as is CNN.

I really enjoyed the first season of this, but gave up half way through season 2because it was starting to annoy.

I just dont think anybody talks like that! Some of the stuff they come out with is just ridiculous! I'm not on about the swearing so much, it's likely that they did use 2 fucks just saying hello. It's the convoluted sentences that are the problem.

Also, it takes an age to build up to anything. I realise they have to stick loosely to what actually happened in Deadwood, but if it means dragging out a small part of the story over the entire series then its just not worth the effort. I sat through S1 waiting for the climax of the Lovejoy /Sherriff feud...but it never comes!

Grr, annoying, its brilliant in so many ways, but such hard work.

Er....you cocksuckers! :blink:

I've said this before, but I think the best idea ever would be for Ian McShane to do a new series of Lovejoy, but keep his Al Swearengen persona.

"Tinker, you slow witted cocksucker. Which motherfucking cunt sold you this regency chair? The cunt's got gilding like a fucking whore's ass!"

• Upvote 4

I've said this before, but I think the best idea ever would be for Ian McShane to do a new series of Lovejoy, but keep his Al Swearengen persona.

"Tinker, you slow witted cocksucker. Which motherfucking cunt sold you this regency chair? The cunt's got gilding like a fucking whore's ass!"

:D:o

Well I got the first disc off lovefilm about a week ago, watched the first two episodes and sent it back without even watching the third. It totally failed to captivate me - maybe I should have watched the third episode but I just didn't feel that it was worth my time. Not that it's bad by any stretch - I just put it down to me not really being interested in the subject matter. But then that's the point isn't it - it should be captivating even if you only have a passing interest.

The Sopranos I love, I really enjoyed The Shield and The Wire and now I'm going to give The West Wing a go. 24 also has its moments. Deadwood though - meh.

I alaso watched the first two episodes. I didn't like it one bit. I thought the acting was dire (and I have to sit through Holby City every week so I know bad acting when I see it), the script passable and the premise interesting.

I'm aghast that people could not like this. It's a superb show.

I can understand why people don't like it (even though I adore the thing), but to accuse it of having bad acting? No, just NO

Deadwood is a very slooooooooooow burner the joy is in the characters little power struggles maybe some of you guys who didn’t like it were expecting a traditional western.

I love the show I admit the first two episodes are a little hard going as they just drop you in but after that it all flows nicely.

• Upvote 1

I read somewhere that it's likely to cancelled - apparently the lead actors contracts haven't been renewed beyond the next series, freeing them up to do other things, and making it unlikely that they'll all be available should they decide to do S4.

Pity. :)

EDIT - here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060512/en_tv_eo/19013

Al Swearengen may be riding off into the effin' sunset a little sooner than expected.

HBO has confirmed that it will not pick up the contract options for Deadwood cast members, indicating that the upcoming third season of the cuss-happy western may be its last.

According to Variety, the ensemble's contracts will expire on June 11, the date of the third-season premiere, and while technically this makes any cancellation news premature, the chances of the show being resuscitated at this point are unlikely.

The decision to allow the contracts lapse means that the show's two leads,

Ian McShane and

Timothy Olyphant, as well as the stable of supporting players, have no further obligation to the critically adored show and are free to pursue other acting gigs.

The news comes just three weeks after series creator and executive producer David Milch spoke to the Boston Globe and offered a decidedly different take on the fate of the show, which is set in the outlaw mining camp of Deadwood in the late 1870s.

"There's a time when creative and commercial intentions coincide," Milch told the newspaper. "Then they diverge. If a series is successful, the commercial interest is in keeping it on, even after the creative interest is in ending it.

"With Deadwood, my intention is to end at the end of the fourth season. I can't speak for anyone else, but that's where I'm getting off the bus."

While Variety suggests that HBO may reverse itself and pick up Deadwood for one more season, Milch is already working with the cable network on a new project, John from Cincinnati. Barring any last-minute negotiation hitches, work is expected to begin soon on a pilot episode to the show, which is described as a "surf noir."

Still Deadwood's apparent demise is a bit puzzling. Yes, the second-season premiere drew 2.8 million viewers--3 million fewer than the series premiere--but it still ranked as one of HBO's better performers last year.

The show has proved a critical favorite, as well. At last September's Emmy Awards, the show racked up five trophies out of 11 nominations; McShane took home the 2005 Golden Globe as Best Actor in a Drama Series; the

American Film Institute named the show one of the Top 10 TV programs of 2005; and the series took home a Peabody Award for excellence in media and television.

In any event, the third and likely final 12-episode season kicks off June 11.