IGNORED

Metroid Prime 3

Cyhwuhx

A few Metroid Prime 3 details slip

Posted Aug 3, 2005, 5:36 PM ET by Ross Miller

Finally, Nintendo information that we don’t have to preface with “rumor.”  Speaking to the official Metroid web site, Retro Studios has shed some light on the upcoming Revolution title, Metroid Prime 3, which is planned as the last game in the trilogy.  Expect updated visuals and more Phazon, the odd material seen in previous installments.  Two things stick out more than others: first is that Retro does not plan “on using a third-person camera for the times when Samus is in the suit” - but when would she not be in the suit?  I can’t recall her ever taking the suit off, except for super-secret “see Samus in a bikini” endings.  The second note, although vague, is that Metroid Prime 3 will take advantage of the new features of the Revolution controller.

What could that mean?  Could a gyroscope control where Samus looks?  Let the speculation…well…continue.

http://www.joystiq.com/entry/1234000713053066/

.::: ... although they are bound to be blown up to megaton proportions. Personally I want the Prime-storyline to just end. Echoes has already left a strange feeling afterwards, I don't want it to intensify.

Rather, I want to know what happened to Samus and Adam after IV.

What I hope is they dont start going too 'story-heavy' - I've recently started out on MP2, and initially am frustrated by the amount of 'story' there is - Metroid is NOT about STORY! I, mean a character to you go up to and press A to talk with?? Grr! Its about exploring and learning a cool environment! I understand this doesnt continue throughout the game, but its still jarring for me.

Also, MP2's music is rubbish compaerd to the first game :D ultimately I want tunes like that Super Metroid Relics of the Chozo stuff

... Personally I want the Prime-storyline to just end. Echoes has already left a strange feeling afterwards, I don't want it to intensify.

Rather, I want to know what happened to Samus and Adam after IV.

Yeah I'd have to agree with that. Echoes is good but doesn't really feel like Metroid. It was dark, suffocating, almost like survival horror in places. I hope they go for a brighter, more technological setting for the new one.

I'd love a 2.5d continuation of fusion on the big screen.

I just want a new 2D Metroid really.

Yes! :D

I second that. With the power of next gen consoles, can you imagine the sprite manipulation capabilities they would have? I'm talking about hundreds of easily implemented frames of animation, super smooth high-res sprites ala Guilty Gear, virtually unlimited colour usage, flawless transparency effects, almost infinite levels of paralax scrolling, not to mention vast amounts of sprites/objects on-screen at any one time, all interacting with each other in organic ways.

Super Metroid was a joy to play because of it's organic world, with the cave turtles, jumping bird, wall monkeys, small slugs that would hatch out of transparent cocoons and host of other unique elements that made it feel as if Zebes were alive.

Forget about single frames of pre-drawn animation, they could program it so that individual pixels react and behave in co-ordination with other pixels. Such as the vines from a plant, rather than draw each frame seperately, they could allocate 500 free thinking pixels to each vine, as one pixel moves, so the others all react. You end up with a freely moving, sprite based vine, that in affect thinks for itself. Imagine the possibilities.

The GBA games were limited in this respect. Imagine a fully living, breathing world, all painstakingly rendered in glorious flat high-res sprites, running on Revolution hardware.

Then again, maybe I'm just dreaming. Sorry to have interrupted.

Carry on chaps.

Yes! :D

I second that. With the power of next gen consoles, can you imagine the sprite manipulation capabilities they would have? I'm talking about hundreds of easily implemented frames of animation, super smooth high-res sprites ala Guilty Gear, virtually unlimited colour usage, flawless transparency effects, almost infinite levels of paralax scrolling, not to mention vast amounts of sprites/objects on-screen at any one time, all interacting with each other in organic ways.

Super Metroid was a joy to play because of it's organic world, with the cave turtles, jumping bird, wall monkeys, small slugs that would hatch out of transparent cocoons and host of other unique elements that made it feel as if Zebes were alive.

Forget about single frames of pre-drawn animation, they could program it so that individual pixels react and behave in co-ordination with other pixels. Such as the vines from a plant, rather than draw each frame seperately, they could allocate 500 free thinking pixels to each vine, as one pixel moves, so the others all react. You end up with a freely moving, sprite based vine, that in affect thinks for itself. Imagine the possibilities.

The GBA games were limited in this respect. Imagine a fully living, breathing world, all painstakingly rendered in glorious flat high-res sprites, running on Revolution hardware.

Then again, maybe I'm just dreaming. Sorry to have interrupted.

Carry on chaps.

That would probably end up looking like Four Swords Adventures. The GBA is a better platform for 2D stuff, imo.

Interview with Retro about Prime 3:

1. What inspired you to create the beautiful sceneries that we see in the Metroid Prime series?

[RETRO] Excellence in game development is a team effort. In the case of the Metroid Prime environments, we have a group of incredible artists who are taking full advantage of the rendering technology our engineers have created. As you can see, the final product is a testament to their talent and dedication.

2. Will we see new features in Metroid Prime 3 that will incorporate the revolutionary aspect of the Revolution controller?

[RETRO] We plan on taking advantage of a number of new features in the Revolution, including the controller.

3. What can you tell us about the plot of Metroid Prime 3?

[RETRO] The plot of Prime 3 is about closure, told against the backdrop of an epic struggle.

4. Will Andrew Jones still be doing concept art for Prime 3?

[RETRO] Absolutely. Andrew is creating some marvelous work for Prime 3.

5. Mr. Walker, as an animation student, I am just curious to know what animation software Retro uses for the cutscenes in the Metroid Prime games. Do you use commercial software, such as Maya, or has your studio developed its own 3d animation program?

[RETRO] Our designers and artists use a combination of proprietary tools and Maya to create the cut-scenes and cinematics for the Prime series.

6. Will there still be the visor feature that we've seen in the past two Primes?

[RETRO] Yes, visor usage will still be important in Prime 3.

7. About how much longer are you predicting it to be compared to Echoes?

[RETRO] That's hard to say at this point. We don't approach our development with a specific gameplay length in mind. We simply want to ensure the player enjoys the experience to the utmost, finishing with a true sense of accomplishment, not exasperated relief.

8. Has Retro considered changing the camera in Metroid Prime (from the first person, back to a third person camera)?

[RETRO] Of course, the morphball has a 3rd-person camera, but no, we don't plan on using a 3rd-person camera for the times when Samus is in a suit.

9. Will this game's story relate with old time foes/comrades (Kraid.. Luminoth.. ridley) or introduce new ones, like the Luminoth?

[RETRO] Something old, something new...

10. Where do you get your ideas from for creatures?

[RETRO] The need for each type of creature really comes from a combination of the storyline and the need to progress the player's ability at a particular point in the game. There's also a hefty injection of rampant creativity that comes from the art, design, and

engineering teams when fleshing these creatures out.

11. Will MP3 be using a new engine, or will it utilize the same one as both previous primes?

[RETRO] The "engine" underwent drastic improvements between MP1 and 2, and will see even more between 2 and 3. Our engineers are a very talented and dedicated bunch, and they're constantly looking for ways to make our games run smoother with more detail.

12. Will Metroid Prime 3 allow you to travel to many worlds?

[RETRO] The player can expect to explore different, quite varied environments in Prime 3.

13. In Metroid Prime 3, will we find the source of the Phazon?

[RETRO] Phazon is a mysterious substance, and will definitely play a major role in Prime 3.

14. How do you think Metroid Prime 3 will abolish the kiddy image Nintendo gets from its Mario games?

[RETRO] While the Mario games are industry classics, the Prime series has successfully established a grittier, more mature direction in all respects. We're happy to help Nintendo increase its appeal to older players.

15. What is the absolute best thing with working on the Metroid franchise?

[RETRO] The ability to work not only with the great team here at Retro, but also incredibly gifted people and industry legends like Yoshio Sakamoto, Kensuke Tanabe, and Kenji Yamamoto.

16. With the improved technology of the Revolution and the presumed larger disc size, what should we expect from the Music of Prime 3?

[RETRO] Music production hasn't yet begun, but we've already head some very exciting discussions with Kenji Yamamoto, who will return as the composer for Prime 3. We hope to take the music into some new directions for this title, and there's no doubt Mr. Yamamoto is going to relish the challenge.

Is it just me, or is a third installment by default the last in a trilogy? :D

I don't care what the plot is for Prime 3, just that there is a Prime 3! :(

I remember hearing that there was going to be a new 2D Metroid too, for DS. In addition to the two 3D titles. Is that right or am I making stuff up in my head again?

[RETRO] The "engine" underwent drastic improvements between MP1 and 2, and will see even more between 2 and 3. Our engineers are a very talented and dedicated bunch, and they're constantly looking for ways to make our games run smoother with more detail.

I think this bit in particular backs up Pickfords theory that the Revolution is basically going to be a souped up GC. If they are using the same engine, the architecture must be pretty similar.

That seems a potentially smart move to me - it was a tremendously elegant (and cost-effective) design in the first place, it turned out to be deceptively powerful, and it will mean that developers can use existing tools to a certain degree etc etc

Less scanning please.

Whilst the scanning in 2 is visually easier, it's also about three times as addictive, and I'd rather it wasn't there.

I dunno, I like the scanning... it's essentially Primes way of telling the narrative and in the absence of scanning you'll just get talking heads telling you the story rather than you finding it all out for yourself.

I dunno, I like the scanning... it's essentially Primes way of telling the narrative and in the absence of scanning you'll just get talking heads telling you the story rather than you finding it all out for yourself.

Yeah, well Echoes has scanning AND dialogue scenes. Ick! Choose one next time please!

Oh come on, the Prime games get so much ridiculous flack it's unbelievable.  There are like 3 character dialogs in the whole game!

I know, its ridiculous. Scanning was intirely optional and in no way forced upon the player. Those saying they wanted the art galleries wouldn't appreciate them anyway, and you'd have to finish the game at least twice to see every gallery.

A lot of the concept work can be seen at IGN as well. Or even use cheat discs if you so desperately want to see the art galleries.

.::: Let's get one thing straight. Echoes ain't bad. At all. Especially the bosses are brilliant.

It's just that I don't feel like replaying it again. Unlike Prime which I've completed many times already and will do as well. There's something about Echoes which makes it less addictive than the other installments.

I'm afraid 3 might turn out to be like that as well. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

And Sprite-Machine: it'll become great. :P Just wait untill you enter the underwater bits and Sanctuary.

Played a bit more MP2 last night, got to my first eperience of the dark world (well running around it at least).. fucking scary! Enjoying it tho! :D

The atmosphere Rerto generate through the graphics is amazing, the last bit i was on really did feel 'sandy', i loved those sand 'waterfalls'.. shame the music is so rubbish though :o