IGNORED

Every Issue Of Super Play On A Dvd

Graham S

From the Zzap Superstore

A discussion about the ethics of selling the results of a labour intensive scanning project while the original writers don't see a dime on the World of Stuart forums alerted me to this exciting possibility. Own every copy of Super Play without annoying your wife! I couldn't log in to paypal fast enough.

The same WoS discssuion intimated that Amiga Power might be on its way too. Let's hope so.

But what about the ethics of my passing off WoS forum content as an original thread on here? I look on it as a public service, and therefore "fair use".

I was dimly aware that the Crash and Zzap scans existed, so maybe the fact that Super Play is available isn't news to you. I fear the delorean. There's nothing worse than the retro folder when it's angered.

Rip off!

It's one thing to charge the price of a DVD for this, but to charge £15 is shocking!

If the people who produced the original works were seeing some of this money then I'd be all for it. However, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I have Crash, Zzap and YS scans knocking about on DVD and wouldn't dream of charging people for them.

However, I know from previous experience that a duplication ring doesn't work. Whilst the majority of people can be trusted to make copies for others, a few lazy swines ruin it for the decent people out there.

Rob

Sure. I can totally see where you're coming from. But it must be a lot of labour scanning them in. I shouldn't think he's retiring on the proceeds. If he gests a bit of cash from it and that encourages him to scan in AP too, then that suits me from a pragmatic point of view.

Im SLOWLY doing this with Arcade, yet wont charge for it, except for possibly the cost of materials (stamps and Discs) but it is very labour intensive. It takes me around 4 hours to scan one magazine in, and as i wont cut them up it means holding the page down all that time. Very annoying, i should get back to it as i was about halfway through when i stopped.

Im SLOWLY doing this with Arcade, yet wont charge for it, except for possibly the cost of materials (stamps and Discs) but it is very labour intensive. It takes me around 4 hours to scan one magazine in, and as i wont cut them up it means holding the page down all that time. Very annoying, i should get back to it as i was about halfway through when i stopped.

If anyone gets these together, I'm happy to work up a torrent with others in this forum - rob if you want, maybe you can kick the torrent off but smail mail me the files so I can just host and dive in on your forum as a seed.

Maybe you could do these one mag at a time or something? Alternatively try to get them into a pdf maybe?

I almost bought the 4 Newsfield ones at the 'sale' price of £40 but finally decided it was just a bit too steep. If they dropped the prices so the profit margin wasn't so high I'd buy the lot though. We all know that the actual production costs of these things are pennies. The scans were a labour of love, they'd have existed without the disc sales.

I've slowly over the last week downloaded batches of 10 issues (there seems to be a download limit per day) of old C&VG off the World of Spectrum site - amazing to look at, so I know the value to some people these files can be. I think if I remember correctly the Your Sinclair scans are there too (and I have a few) - so that is a possible solution, just a little time consuming but free.

I haven't seen the ZZAP or SUPERPLAY scans online so I'd be definately interested in them.

If I can get my DVD writing software to work, I don't see that a torrent would be unethical, so I think I'd be happy to send a copy of the Super Play disc to someone who was organising/seeding a torrent. Unless somebody convinces me that would be out of order for some reason.

I do think some of you underestimate the number of hours that will have gone into the scanning project.

I've slowly over the last week downloaded batches of 10 issues (there seems to be a download limit per day) of old C&VG off the World of Spectrum site - amazing to look at, so I know the value to some people these files can be. I think if I remember correctly the Your Sinclair scans are there too (and I have a few) - so that is a possible solution, just a little time consuming but free.

I haven't seen the ZZAP or SUPERPLAY scans online so I'd be definately interested in them.

OMG. Old C&VG scans. OMG. I officially LOVE you for pointing this out.

Probably thousands of hours of scanning, the man's a scanaholic. There was a bit on him in the Zzap Def Tribute. Know anyone else who's worn out more than a couple of scanners?

We do appreciate the work involved, but we're also not keen on pisstaking with prices. As gamers, we all know the 'lower prices means more sales' argument and this is a prime example.

I think there is nothing wrong with the price - Lets fact it, it takes countless hours to scan these magazines in and correct any errors. As already mentioned, Mort as worn out about nine scanners on this project, and I don't think he is coming out of the other end with a great profit.

It's still a lot cheaper than huntind down complete (paper) collections on eBay.

Anyway some of the scans are hosted on WoS and the ZZAP! site, so if you don't want to buy them, then you can get them from those.

I think there is nothing wrong with the price - Lets fact it, it takes countless hours to scan these magazines in and correct any errors.  As already mentioned, Mort as worn out about nine scanners on this project, and I don't think he is coming out of the other end with a great profit.

But is it Mort who gets the money?

I think there is nothing wrong with the price

The pcg one seems quite reasonable, this is really the one I'd care about - when you consider what the discs have on them they aren't bad and I speak as someone who's through stupid amounts of cash at buying PCG's.

Actually if the original copywright holder decided to scan these in, retouch them and sell a dvd I'd expect the prices to be roughly in line with them in fact I'd suggest they'd probably charge a monthly sub to the hosting site in the way many us magazines that have archived back issues do.

The trouble with game magazine sites is the cost of the hosting and the time/cost of the scanning so most freebie efforts fall by the wayside. I think I may well order the pcg one and maybe the C&VG one....

Er..yes.  Who did you think gets the money?

I'd suggest that at the price charged there may be a feeling the original copywright holder should get some cash, there is a charge in line with an offical product. However as they have not done anything to keep these available then anyone who makes the effort to scan it all in should get the cash....

I'd suggest that at the price charged there may be a feeling the original copywright holder should get some cash, there is a charge in line with an offical product. However as they have not done anything to keep these available then anyone who makes the effort to scan it all in should get the cash....

Yes exactly - I'm amazed that magazine publishers haven't employed someone to scan in loads of back issues and stuck them onto CD or DVD - Though I suppose the sales wouldn't justify it.

I think a few of the original writers are pleased to see the scan sets as some of them no longer have the original magazines - I can't see EMAP or Future objecting due to the age of the magazines concerned.

I wish there was more magazine scans - It would be great to see music magazines like NME, Smash Hits etc in scan form or even some really old TV Times with programme listings.

Yes exactly - I'm amazed that magazine publishers haven't employed someone to scan in loads of back issues and stuck them onto CD or DVD - Though I suppose the sales wouldn't justify it.

The main barrier is there's likely a minefield of copyright involved - the publishers won't necessarily have total right to reprint everything without paying (and possibly also obtaining permission of) the original contributors, so the admin time and costs involved in sorting all this out would negate any profits.

Price issues aside, this sounds fab. So I can burn all my Super Play issues after all! And, by way of a bonus, I get to finally read Super Play Gold for about the same price I'd have to pay for the original magazine on eBay.

Publishers such as Future have thought of this themselves, but they'd charge even more, of course.

I'd pay £15. I think it's a bargain!

Good lord, every page scanned? Do you have any idea how long that would have taken? Not to mention the scanners the guy goes through apparently (11 just doing Zzap I heard).

It's also cheaper than buying an eBay lot.

Once I get some spare cash I'm buying it, to fill the holes in my SP collection, and also for space saving.

As for morality... Well, Im playing Super Famicom roms, which are about as old as Super Play, so I guess that answers that question. We have a few SP old timers on RLLMUK, it would be interesting to hear their views.

EDIT:

I think the guy should actually be comissioned by a museum tbh to do scans of every mag. In an ideal world, there would be a scan archive for every page, of every magazine, ever. All in a giant library like museum. I would love to read some of the early EGM issues again.

And GameFAN. Damn, GameFAN was an amazing mag, reminded me of a multi-format SuperPlay almost. When someone scans all of them, give me a PM.

I wish there was more magazine scans - It would be great to see music magazines like NME, Smash Hits etc in scan form or even some really old TV Times with programme listings.

Agreed - I love old magazines of all types, I had high hopes for the internet providing magazine archives on demand as it were but the bandwith requirements and lack of profit to be made seem to rule this out entirely.

I think I'll put an order in tonight for these.... I may own them already but I can have a good read at work and maybe torrent the odd issue...

As an asside once at a boot sale I bought a mountain of zzaps (from 1 onwards) from a guy who said in passing he'd written for them - I meant to go back and talk to him about but sadly couldn't find him - I think it was probably given it was the first 3 years of issues and by the look of him, the white wizzard, steve cooke who used to write for PCG.

I once vowed never to chuck any mags away. They are a piece of history and cannot be replaced.

However that was years ago, I'm now an adult, and those mags to take up a lot of space. I also didn't think that back then things like this would happen. I'd love to have all magazines available to buy on a disc, so I think the idea is great.

I'll still keep hold of special issues, and I much prefer reading stuff on paper in my hand rather than on a screen, but if I have to make space and chuck things, these would be a good alternative.

I tip my hat to anyone who can be bothered to spend their time scanning in entire runs of magazines, the amount of time it takes must be phenomenal and it certainly isn't something I would do.

However I agree £15 is a bit steep. Stuff in the retro world tends to get done for free as a labour of love amongst fans (admitedly because making money off the back of other people's copyrighted works is frowned on) which is an ideal I find admirable.

edit: forgot to add my main reason for hitting Reply... Zero please someone! I might even pay for that one.