Burnout Revenge - It's Out There

Stroker Ace

[/=possible Delorean]

Has anyone just lost all of their saves due to "broken save file" other than me?

Annoying because i had just got to Elite level.... asked some people round to play, turned it on... and becasue there be no 'single event' any more.... i was hard pressed to get a race going. Thank God for Takedown..

:D

If you have a modded XBox, you can have my 100% save if you'd like.

Not modded unfortunately, but thanks for the offer. :(

I guess i can manage to go through it again.... or trade it in while its still worht something i suppose, then get the 360 version in the new year or something.

Got this today in Gamestation (£19.99 when you buy ANYTHING else instore) and what the fuck have they done!? You have to actually smash into cars to get boost, talk about taking away the whole point of the game. No longer is a test of pushing yourself while trying not to hit anything, its now a case of smash the fuck out of everything and look at the pretty crashes. Admittadly I havent really given the game a chance but when I got bored after the first 3 races and gave my 5 year old son a go at the 4th (the 1st road rage) he got the gold medal by basically just holding down the accelerator. Its going back to be traded in on monday, fucking EA this is what happens when they get hold of a license.

• 3 weeks later...

Bought the game today and I'm absolutely loving it, despite the fact that I'm incredible shit at most modes.

Never get more then a silver mdeal on all of the turbo rounds, and i have the feeling that I'm doing something very wrong with the crash mode, as it feels completely random for me, no idea who or what the 'target car' is, and what the best strategies are for getting 'perfect' rankings. :)

Just tried the EA car test ride, and I just mumbled something like 'oh, you GOT to be kidding me...' Driving with 300 mph through narrow alleys ain't my speciality.

Great fun though, launching cars at my opponents is a great laugh, and I can see this becoming a real party game here. :D

iirc the 'target car' is always the same for the crash course you are attempting, so it's worth charging through it once and noting where the taget car comes into play. I found crash mode in 4 to be much better balanced then 3's, it would of been so much better without the awful golf style start system though.

iirc the 'target car' is always the same for the crash course you are attempting, so it's worth charging through it once and noting where the taget car comes into play. I found crash mode in 4 to be much better balanced then 3's, it would of been so much better without the awful golf style start system though.

Agreed about that golf meter. Didn't like it one bit. The target car appears to come into play if you keep the crash going for a while with crashbreakers, etc. I've grown to love Burnout 4's crash mode, but not for the same reasons I loved Burnout 3's crash mode.

• 1 month later...

I've been enjoying playing this for a while now, I've worked my way upto and have almost finished the rank 8 events, perfecting everything along the way, and during a Crashbreaker race, I just encountered the most satisfying moment in all my years of gaming: Total Payback :( Made me grin from ear to ear, and I even let out a weird half laughing 'hoop' kinda noise accidentally.

• 9 months later...

<acheivement whore> Scoreboards have been reset for top 20 clips (For the achievement). Would be nice to get this - anyone fancy downloading my clip - it's actually good as well. Road Rage one (The other one is a test). Would happily reciprocate for anyone !!!! Username weightgain2

Thanks in advance </acheivement whore>

• 11 months later...

Feel free to add me for the occassional online bout.

Managed to perfect tiers 2 and 3 as well last night (that preview event on tier 2 was eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeevil! until I read to NEVER release the boost button and got it straight away - thanks internet boffins on random sites! you save the day again!)

Is there much of a live community still?

I keep trying to make a friend play it but he keeps putting it off :P

There always seems to be quite a few people playing this, you won't have any problems getting a game with randoms. It's a surprisingly friendly community and theres always loads of Brits on too - the really good players tend to stick together so it's pretty easy to get a game with players of standard skill.

I pop it on every couple of weeks for a fix and always have a great time, definitely still one of the best online games on the 360.

• 15 years later...

Whilst it seems to have that "too fast so make it so you can ram the other cars" gameplay (and the whole takedown thing where everyone is trying to ram you all the time, let's just race, yeah?) It has to be said that this game is pretty damn good fun, but it looks incredible on the Series X.  It's not saying it has frameboost and my TV is non HDR, so tell me, did it always look this good? Was it always 60fps?  It's gorgeous!!!!

Is it just me.... A 360 was powerful enough to do great HD visuals at 60fps, then 4K TV became a thing and now we have performance mode/graphics mode....  360 really was as good as we ever got.  Even the Series X can't do it's best quality graphics and 60fps at the same time, you choose one or the other.

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

Is it just me.... A 360 was powerful enough to do great HD visuals at 60fps, then 4K TV became a thing and now we have performance mode/graphics mode....  360 really was as good as we ever got.  Even the Series X can't do it's best quality graphics and 60fps at the same time, you choose one or the other.

I think Criterion were at the top of their game eeeeking every bit of performance out the machines. They also IIRC developed their own engine too. 

Now I think most games use a generic engine to start with as a base so I guess this will have some inherent limitations. I'm not a developer but just speculating here! :)

Three Fields Entertainment's Dangerous Driving which is something of a follow on from the Burnout franchise in its essence only ran at 30fps on XBox One/PS4 and needed a One X/PS4 Pro to get 60fps. Think that used the Unreal Engine.

Guess it's just expense in terms of resources and time that teams don't develop their own engines these days which is fair enough. They can at least focus on bringing their vision to market.

Dangerous Driving is great BTW if you want some Burnout type fun. Dangerous Driving 2 was due to drop this year but this has now called Wreckreation which looks interesting.

Man, I love this game. Have regular sessions on this and Burnout 3 on my Xbox 360.

I never personally got on as well with Burnout Paradise - the open city vs multiple locations with specific tracks really diluted the thrill for me.

BO Revenge was played to death on my 360 and is pretty much where I made most of my Xbox friends who I still play with / against today. 
It’s criminal they shut down the multiplayer servers. 
Where’s the bloody remaster / remake?!!

13 hours ago, dumpster said:

The problem the 360 had was that it also had to do HD graphics. In the end the later revisions even dumped the analog video port.

If you go back and play PS2/Wii/360 stuff at 60fps on a SD CRT (like I’m doing currently) you’ll have your balls repeatedly blown clean off. Stuff like GT4 and Metroid Prime look absolutely peerless, even by 2022 standards. I’m not exaggerating.

60fps games age far better visually, you can go back to any 60fps polygonal game from PS1 onwards and it will look so smooth and solid. Throw in a bit of upressing and Xbox auto HDR and retro 60fps games like Burnout are just bloodly gorgeous even by current standards.