IGNORED

Bbc.co.uk 'future Of Gaming' Week

KartoffelKopf

Your views on the future of gaming:

"I am looking games similar to Halo because of the defined and believable graphics. "

Terry Olivo, London

"Obesity is a major concern and there are also worries about the levels of knowledge and skills our children develop. Interests in traditional culture and art are taking second place to TV and computer games, so what good reason do we have to celebrate the emergence of yet another instrument of generating body fat through inactivity and killing valuable time. Moreover most computer games, far from being constructive or educational are not only a vacuous waste of time but promote violence. The consoles should come with health warnings or better still, be banned entirely. "

Mark Peters, London

Beard Award:

For years now, since the advent of home computers and consoles, I have been playing video games - since the Sinclair ZX81 days - and have been impressed with the way technology has moved forward. With the arrival of the Playstation 3 next year, I am awaiting the EA sports titles with baited breath. I'm already a big fan and they can only get better.

David Maxwell, Prestatyn, North Wales

Interests in traditional culture and art are taking second place to TV and computer games

Perhaps that's because videogames are better? :(

I'll be honest with you, I studied art at school and have seen documentaries on lost civilisations, and to be honest.... I frankly couldn't give a damn. I'd much rather load up my favourite game to kill an afternoon with. Beyond booze, tobacco and busty young woman, what the hell else is interesting in this otherwise dull world? Huh? I challenge you to answer that little connundrum!

:(

i think that's the best thing about it, because it stops people starting flame wars whenever someone thinks someone is "obviously wrong". it's spot on for clearly presenting a wide range of readable and interesting viewpoints and nothing more - a discussion forum where you don't have to wade through shit to get to the good stuff.

i think that's the best thing about it, because it stops people starting flame wars whenever someone thinks someone is "obviously wrong". it's spot on for clearly presenting a wide range of readable and interesting viewpoints and nothing more - a discussion forum where you don't have to wade through shit to get to the good stuff.

0/\0

No. Forums are obviously better, etc.

No, but I think someone made this one up:

Consoles have nothing in terms of speed and real-life quality as a PC. I think going in for newer and better consoles is a mistake. Surely the internet/home PC is the market to be in, as any serious gamer knows. After staring at tiny monitors on handhelds, trying to figure out seriously complicated moves on consoles, having to start over again and again, and with superior graphics, a PC wins over everytime. I, myself, love Warcraft too, and it's these role-play games that appeal to me more than blast 'em -ups. Same difference as reading a book, but you get far more involved!

Caz, Cornwall

I agree. It's lovely.

But once in a while you just wish you could take someone to one side and yell in his face until he goes red.

Because we can't, it's infuriating!

Your views on the future of gaming:

"Obesity is a major concern The consoles should come with health warnings or better still, be banned entirely. "

Mark Peters, London

It really winds me up when people go on about gaming causing obesity! I play 15 hours+ a week and I am FAR from obese! It all just comes down to the individual and what else they do in thier spare time, ie Going to the gym vs. Eating donuts.

Do TVs come with health warnings? :wub:

It really winds me up when people go on about gaming causing obesity!  I play 15 hours+ a week and I am FAR from obese!  It all just comes down to the individual and what else they do in thier spare time, ie Going to the gym vs. Eating donuts.

Do TVs come with health warnings?  :)

The thing that is missed is that most gamers prefer interactivity over non activity. Most gamers that I know are naturally active and gaming is an extension of that. I play about 2 hours a night now and still play football, mountain bike etc. in the rest of my spare time.

We're not couch potatoes. My parents will sit watching TV for hours on end, litterally doing nothing else. That drives me nuts.

My work in an office for over 9 hours a day is a far bigger contributor to my waste size than gaming ever will be.

Once again, the entire argument loops back on 'Don't blame the parents, blame the toys'. Wanting to ban all consoles is probably such a lazy view that I can't imagine it's a real person.

If it is a real person, it's okay because his opinion is a tad irrelevant.

The thing that is missed is that most gamers prefer interactivity over non activity. Most gamers that I know are naturally active and gaming is an extension of that.

Well, it could be argued that every entertainment medium is 'interactive'. The listener/viewer/player all have to break down and understand what's happening on screen, even if the 'player' is the only one who is moving his fingers, the process isn't much different.

Mark Peters does have a point but the obesity nonsense was just that. However, I don't think kids have ever had much of an interest in the 'arts'. I wouldn't be surprised if, thanks mainly to the likes of Harry Potter, there were just as many kids reading books as there was 10 or 20 years ago.

Kids still play with toys as well as games, although I expect board games must be an ever decreasing business.

The increasing obesity isn't down to computer games, but rather many things, especially parents feeding their kids badly. I know that when I have kids I will limit the amount of time they spend playing videogames and I will encourage them to play boardgames with their Mum and Dad, read, exercise and the like - just like when I was a nipper. I was allowed one hour a night on the Spectrum, Commodore and then Mega Drive (as in I had a Speccy, Commodore and Mega Drive, rather than 1 hour a night on each one). We'll also be the first generation to really understand gaming and that will help us keep an eye on what they're playing.

Mark Peters does have a point but the obesity nonsense was just that. However, I don't think kids have ever had much of an interest in the 'arts'. I wouldn't be surprised if, thanks mainly to the likes of Harry Potter, there were just as many kids reading books as there was 10 or 20 years ago.

Kids still play with toys as well as games, although I expect board games must be an ever decreasing business.

The increasing obesity isn't down to computer games, but rather many things, especially parents feeding their kids badly. I know that when I have kids I will limit the amount of time they spend playing videogames and I will encourage them to play boardgames with their Mum and Dad, read, exercise and the like - just like when I was a nipper. I was allowed one hour a night on the Spectrum, Commodore and then Mega Drive (as in I had a Speccy, Commodore and Mega Drive, rather than 1 hour a night on each one). We'll also be the first generation to really understand gaming and that will help us keep an eye on what they're playing.

There was a great piece in Edge or gamestm about a year back talking about 'a gamers education'. As you say, we are the first generation to truly know gaming and all that it entails, good and bad.

I hope that, due to this, when my sprogs come along I'll be in a better position to control and understand there gaming than my parents were.

Maybe it'll make me re-consider my gaming habits a bit more aswell. I don't subscribe to the 'do as I say, not as I do' theory.

Mark Peters's worst case scenario of fat lazy thugs doesn't sound that terrible though.

Violent couch bound gaming addict:

"I'm goin' to smack your fucking slats in! In a bit. After I eat these crisps. And finish Expert 11 on Super monkeyball. And have a cig. And a little nap."

*SNORE*