rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
biglime

Writing Novels

Like I said its a bit mental isn't it! :lol: . Still I've been mulling over a bit of what was said and I think I've come up with a way to tip a cliche that's used at the start of the novel on its head. Sort of play about with the readers expectations. And it doesn't mess up the rest of the novel.

Which agency was this?! A handwritten note... very interesting.

Thats just it. I sent of a few manuscripts and I cannot tell who replied! I may actually write a book about my experiences of trying to get an agent.....

Thats just it. I sent of a few manuscripts and I cannot tell who replied! I may actually write a book about my experiences of trying to get an agent.....

Why not start a blog, stick the photo up there and ask for fellow writers to do some detective work? Start following other writer/editor/agent blogs to help drive traffic.

In fact, following these types of blogs is worthwhile anyway - there's loads of useful advice. A few to get you started:

http://cba-ramblings.blogspot.com/

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/

US-based but still interesting.

Eight million years later, I've finally nailed my one-page synopsis. As in: "IT'S GOOD". I'd been going around with a three-page version (double-spaced) that did the job okay, but its length (fnarr) was preventing me from approaching certain agents. If the present crop doesn't bear fruit, then I'll be using it.

Still waiting on three full manuscript requests. Ho-de-hum.

New novel's going alright, but I randomly looked in a notebook a few nights ago and came across something that I reckon I can write super-speedily and would be great fun. Bit out of my comfort zone as it's horror, and I've never tried horror, but it's a cool high-concept idea that goes like the clappers. So I'm thinking about leaving the thing I'm currently writing for a bit, and hammering the other thing out.

The note reads...

I can sense your energy and enjoyment

in writing this - But I think we'd have

a discouraging time in a very difficult (competitive)

market - the writing needs work, it is

full of cliche and dialogue isn't

doing all it should - the characters

need development - it could be I

am just the wrong reader!

Wil Fuls (Name?)

Antilles (Publishing House?)

I spent way too long on that.

Well neither the name nor the agency rings any bells. Strange. Anyway thanks for decyphering that!. I'm still pndering restyling the first chapter. The good thing is I can radically alter it and it still won't bugger up the story. Or maybe I'll just carry on with the second book. The problem with looking for an agent is that it kind of puts everything on hold. Bit annoying really.

Anyone know of or actually entered some good novel writing contests?

I ask on behalf of my mother, who is writing her first and badly needs a deadline.

It's children's fiction.

http://undiscoveredvoices.com/home.html

While this is currently closed, the organisers will probably hold another comp next year, so keep an eye on it. If you end up in the anthology, agents and editors beat down your door.

Regarding my own stuff, I limped my way to a revise & resubmit earlier this week. The feedback was bang-on, though, so at least I know what I have to do. :(

Hmm I have yet to receive a reply from two of the agents I've sent stuff too. This was a good few weeks ago as well. Normally if things have gone tits up you get a quick reply. Let's hope that no news is good news.