IGNORED

Ridge Racer 6 For Xbox 360

Graham S

18 hours ago, dumpster said:

you choose pronouns, pick an artificial arm

Can you explain how the inclusion of these things specifically diminished your experience of Forza Horizon 5?

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Select a payment method

Credit card or debit card

PayPal

It might still check the PayPal account region. How did you get on?

26 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

It might still check the PayPal account region. How did you get on?

I didn't attempt it, I was just helping out @SeanR translating some Spanish. Sean, did it work with PayPal?

1 minute ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

@SeanR ¿al final lograste pagar tu videojuego con PayPal y no tuviste problemas con tu región?

I decided not to go ahead, I’ve got a disc, and a 360 and an X1X to play it on. Imagine if I could play it on the series S though. But I’ll probably up to a series X eventually anyway.

6 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Ok. So if I buy this;

https://www.vidaplayer.com/en/product/gift-card-xbox-live-mexico/200-mxn-gift-card

What would I need to do to buy the game?

Thanks!

Switch your console region to Mexico. Go to the online store, click to buy the game, you’ll be asked to enter an address if it’s the first time you’ve bought from that store (Google a hotel somewhere in Mexico); add store credit. Buy.

5 hours ago, Quest said:

Can you explain how the inclusion of these things specifically diminished your experience of Forza Horizon 5?

Because I bought a racing game and wanted to race.  Instead it sets up characters and story that are not needed.  I believe Forza Horizon is the Arcady side of Forza Motorsport, yet there's so much waffle and fluff, none of which adds to the experience. In fact, when you return to the simplicity of Ridge Racer 6 you wonder why they bother.  Forza seems to pride itself on giving you a hundred of everything to choose from. Pick a name from the list, some voice artist has recorded each line of dialogue with each name.  Pick a hairstyle. Who gives a shit?  Then instead of music, it has podcasts. How much work went into them and is anyone really listening?  What's this now, I need to buy a house?  

Fuck it all.  Arcade Racing is where its at.  

See Ridge Racer, Daytona, rally etc.  Choose a car, choose a track, and you're racing within 10 seconds of pressing start. 

23 hours ago, dumpster said:

Playing this game when it's old enough to buy fireworks is a revelation.  I compare this to Forza 5 as a demonstration of how gaming has become such a big bloated mess.  Forza has podcasts, real music from bands, announcers, you make a character, you buy a house, you choose pronouns, pick an artificial arm, have a suite of cars in the garage, jump 5000 feet off a cliff, drive through realistic water, and all of it is just overwhelming and boring at the same time.  Ridge Racer kicks Forza into touch, less is absolutely definitely more. 

It feels like 10 times the work went into making Forza5, yet all the extra content makes it too much to bear.   I can't think of a specific course in Forza, out of the hundreds available, that was especially memorable, yet I know every turn of PS1 Ridge Racer like the back of my hand.  

Incidentally, it's another opportunity for me to tell you to try PSP Ridge Racers on the PPSSPP emulator.  Turn the resolution to 4x for 1080p or 8x for 4K and it looks every bit as good as RR6.  Xbox Series or PC, the emulator is amazing.

That's why FH1 is by far the best. It has so much focus. Shame it's locked at 30fps tho 

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Because I bought a racing game and wanted to race.  Instead it sets up characters and story that are not needed.  I believe Forza Horizon is the Arcady side of Forza Motorsport, yet there's so much waffle and fluff, none of which adds to the experience. In fact, when you return to the simplicity of Ridge Racer 6 you wonder why they bother.  Forza seems to pride itself on giving you a hundred of everything to choose from. Pick a name from the list, some voice artist has recorded each line of dialogue with each name.  Pick a hairstyle. Who gives a shit?  Then instead of music, it has podcasts. How much work went into them and is anyone really listening?  What's this now, I need to buy a house?  

See Ridge Racer, Daytona, rally etc.  Choose a car, choose a track, and you're racing within 10 seconds of pressing start. 

This is why Outrun 2 is the first game I install whenever I setup steam on a new machine.

You cannot beat the classics that have at most a handful of features, but done very very well.

I agree entirely but also there's a limited amount of manpower, budget etc to make the game in the first place.  I keep picking on Forza 5 as it's the most recent in my mind, but there are plenty of examples of this in all genres.  Developers spending millions making games bigger when there's no need. 

Metal Gear 5 Phantom Pain drew a lot of criticism for the last 50 levels being a repeat of the first 50. Why not just have the game end at 50? Surely that was enough for anyone? It was perfect right up to that point.

Games have got bigger and better with every new hardware release since the Sinclair Spectrum but today games are getting bigger and sometimes being demonstrably worse in doing so. Forza 5 is peak "this" because it's an arcade racer with hundreds of hours of content and none of it feels exciting or fun.  And it's inevitable that it will be that way because your programming team have a fixed number of man-hours to create the game, so if someone has to create that huge open world they're not meticulously crafting a perfect set of race tracks - they have a whole world to fill. I'd be very happy to buy Ridge Racer 8 for Series X at £39.99, ten cars, 10 tracks, but they don't make them like that any more.  If they brought it back in 2022 they'd sell you "Ridge Racer Open World" with a million cars, a massive map with a million tracks, paid DLC, user generated content, tutorials and unskippable story. It would be £79.99 and wouldn't sell very well, proving to the publishers that no-one likes arcade racers anymore.  The reality is that the audience is so desperately wanting to play a decent arcade racer that we're setting our VPNs to Mexico and buying a game from 2006.

6 hours ago, dumpster said:

Because I bought a racing game and wanted to race.  Instead it sets up characters and story that are not needed.  I believe Forza Horizon is the Arcady side of Forza Motorsport, yet there's so much waffle and fluff, none of which adds to the experience.

Those five seconds it took to select pronouns and prosthetics must've been a real struggle. You're so full of shit.

13 minutes ago, Quest said:

Those five seconds it took to select pronouns and prosthetics must've been a real struggle. You're so full of shit.

Aah, I see the issue you're imagining. 

You chose to include those things in your list of Forza's crimes against racing. Of all the things to criticise, you choose a couple of menu screens that take a few seconds to skip through but are important to many, in one of the only games to even bother trying to be inclusive.

I also have no idea why the fuck you keep mentioning podcasts.

19 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The disc version is hella expensive

If you watch marktplaats cheap copies will show up. I managed to buy one for 12 euro last month. 

30 minutes ago, Sane said:

If you watch marktplaats cheap copies will show up. I managed to buy one for 12 euro last month. 

Thanks for the tip!

It's like 40 euros used in Nedgame! Like wtf, it's not a PS5 game!

11 hours ago, dumpster said:

There are no podcasts and people liked having avatars to race with. You sound like old guy yells at cloud.

I think the problem with FH nowadays, at least for me is there are no shared single player experiences. Like Elden Ring, it's open world and people are relatively free to play it but everyone shares common experiences, namely the bosses. It brings people together. 

But when games lack a structure of sorts, you can't really say hey any tips on this race or what car to use etc etc.