IGNORED

Don't Have A Decent Gaming Computer?

Blue

That's another thing I never got; the way in which:

a] there are "PC games" - RTS, RPG, FPS - and "console games " - platformer, beat 'em up, shmup, and it's rare that you will see one being hosted by the other (although ever since the Xbox we've seen more console FPS games)

and

b] the fact that there are few simple, arcadey, consoley titles for the PC. "They wouldn't feel right on the PC?" Bollocks: one of the reasons I'm such a naughty lawbreaking emulation fan is because it gives me access to classics like Street Fighter, Rainbow Islands, Mega Twins, Killer Instinct. If someone realises that there are people out there who like playing these games, even on a PC, maybe I will feel less need to emulate.

The only thing I feel I'm missing is stuff like BattleField 2. I could get it I suppose, but I have no idea if it'd work on this PC. Blasting someone in the face with a shotgun is so much more satisfying when it's not an AI character. I used to play Allied Assault at my freinds house, and it was great fun. I wish I could have played that at my own house. I did buy it, but I had a ping of 700 online, and the game went black on the third level, and would only give me sound.

I can't be arsed with stuff like that, which is why I prefer consoles. BatteField 2 is tempting me quite a bit though.

Its costs more, but theres such a huge back catalogue of amazing games which a dirt cheap and you don't need a monster PC unless you want to play the most current games.

Indeed. These days there are only maybe half a dozen games at any one time that require a ninja PC. The mad upgrading scramble to get everyone onto halfway-decent 3D cards ended a couple of years ago. These days you just need to splurge on the latest GPU if you want super-high res and super-high framerates.

I used to think I was missing out, but now I have an ultra powerful PC I still never play anything that's really pushing it (was rather underwhelmed by Half Life 2, other than it looking pretty), and have reverted back to simply playing Sim City again - albeit with all the visual effects turned on (not that I notice any real difference).

Being an arcade gamer at heart there is very little on the PC that looks interesting/diverse and worth playing.

Its very much an oversaturated market full of the same types of games, Fair play if people want to pay £400+ for the latest graphic cards but when the choice in games is so limited I can't justify if its worth it for an extra layer of AA in another military combat game.

After looking at the release schedule I don't feel as if im missing out at all.

Definitely. They rock when playing a platformer, racing game, sports game, action adventure like Prince of Persia. You name it and the Keyboard and Mouse combo kill a gamepad.

I'll never really understand how some people find moving forward/backwards/strafing/reloading/jumping/crouching etc etc easier, never mind intuitive, with a keyboard as opposed to a controller. I must lack the necessary coordination.

Could it be that consoles such as the 360 and PS3 (or their successors), hooked up to high definition televisions, will negate the benefits of P.C gaming altogether?

There must come a time surely where the consoles are powerful enough that P.C's can't outclass them visually. Then all we need is for publishers to stop patronising console gamers with watered-down versions of "deep" P.C games.

I'll never really understand how some people find moving forward/backwards/strafing/reloading/jumping/crouching etc etc easier, never mind intuitive, with a keyboard as opposed to a controller. I must lack the necessary coordination.

Could it be that consoles such as the 360 and PS3 (or their successors), hooked up to high definition televisions, will negate the benefits of P.C gaming altogether?

There must come a time surely where the consoles are powerful enough that P.C's can't outclass them visually. Then all we need is for publishers to stop patronising console gamers with watered-down versions of "deep" P.C games.

That won't happen becuase PC technology moves forward on a daily basis, whereas console technology remains stagnant for about 6 years..

I got a new PC recently, having had an old PIII 800Mhz machine for the past 5 years... so it was quite a sizable jump. It wasn't for games specifically, I just needed a new one for all my other stuff.

I got Half Life 2 and played through that, it was really fantastic, a really great game.... but, I don't think I'll ever be a "PC Gamer". I played with the mouse and keyboard, and although the mouse is fabulous for quickly aiming and stuff, it does let you hang yourself if you get into a panic and start swishing it around everywhere.

Also, even at the end of the game, the keyboard controls still weren't intuitive to me, and I had to occasionally look down, or really think about what to press. I the best console games you don't have to think, you just become one with the controller.

So control method was annoying from my point of view - yeah I could get a joypad, but I really don't think it's the case of one fits all for the PC like a console has it's one controller.

I wish I could run WOW on my pc.  :)

Don't do it. Everyone I know who's bought it has lost a significant part of their life to it. As below:

before.gif

This is a typical week.

after.gif

This is the week after WoW is installed. Note the drop in hygene, sleep, lateness to work (and leaving early), and crippling neglect of your friends and loved ones. These figures are assuming you haven't just pulled a week-long sickie, in which case just imagine a big purple circle.

Is that you? Are you a big purple circle?

Exactly.

That won't happen becuase PC technology moves forward on a daily basis, whereas console technology remains stagnant for about 6 years..

Yes, I appreciate that, but how much further can it go really and are the consoles not in danger of closing the gap considerably especially with hi-def T.V on the rise?

There's a bit more to the differences between what kind of games are possible (or work best) on PC versus on console than screen resolution.

There's a bit more to the differences between what kind of games are possible (or work best) on PC versus on console than screen resolution.

Care to elaborate? The only thing I can see holding publishers back from bringing P.C-type gaming to future consoles is their continued condescension towards the attention span and preferences of console gamers, given that keyboard/mouse peripherals could easily be made available for such consoles.

Yes, I appreciate that, but how much further can it go really and are the consoles not in danger of closing the gap considerably especially with hi-def T.V on the rise?

I don't think there will ever be a point where graphics are so good on consoles/pc's that no one actually cares about the graphics getting even better. The fact is when new consoles are unveiled with all new sparkling graphics, consumers lap it up and open their wallets without a second thought. There's no limit in terms of graphics, as long as technology/pc's etc keep getting more and more powerful then visuals will just keep getting better and better and we shall consume!

Not "stagnant". "Consistent". To say "stagnant" is to suggest that a console becomes more rotten and unpleasant over its lifetime, when in fact, quite the opposite is true.

The consistency of console hardware is the greatest strength of the medium - if it works on one, it works on them all.

Care to elaborate? The only thing I can see holding publishers back from bringing P.C-type gaming to future consoles is their continued condescension towards the attention span and preferences of console gamers, given that keyboard/mouse peripherals could easily be made available for such consoles.

Keyboard/mouse peripherals are already availavle for consoles, have been since the PSone. The problem is no fucker wants to buy them, and as a result no publishers wants to bring out a game complex enough to make use of them. Complex games with complex controls are going to stay on PC, short of having the most cumbersome and overloaded pad on the planet.

I don't play all that many games on my PC, and most of those I do play are only strategy games that don't require too powerful a computer.

However, I'm really looking forward to The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, which is coming out on PC and Xbox-360 at the end of this year. The cost of buying a PC to handle a game like that would just be INSANE.

So it looks like I'm going to end up buying an Xbox-360 JUST to play that game.

Oh well!

For most of my gaming life I have been a computer gamer, rather than a console gamer (and we're talking about 30 years' worth of gaming life, from Pong onwards).

Didn't have an Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Megadrive or any of that lot - went the ZX81, Spectrum, ST, PC route. Possibly because I like a bit of everything, matron, but have been particularly partial to flight sims, adventures and RPGs in the past.

Looked longingly at the NeoGeo import scene as I grew up in the arcades, but have never had deep pockets so didn't spring for one.

Then I was out of the country for six months on business. When I came back, I bought a PS1 for a quick gaming fix and picked up a couple of decent games (MGS, Driver, Vib Ribbon) and a lot of average stuff. I eventually cobbled together a PC with just enough oomph (Athlon 500, GeForce 2MX) to play a few games that had come out in the previous year or so: Half-Life, Deus Ex, Thief II, Shogun, Homeworld, Crimson Skies, Baldur's Gate II, Grim Fandango, etc.

Then I got a DC and picked up stuff like Soulcalibur, Shenmue, Rez, Jet Set Radio, Skies of Arcadia and more; then a GC and stuff like Pikmin, Zelda TWW, Animal Crossing, Mario; Thousand Year Door, and the awesome Resi 4.

I just have not been able to justify upgrading the PC, not even for HL2; especially when you look at the calibre of the games I bought when I first built my PC, there seems to be much less variety to the killer hits on PC this time around. Not only that, but the shorter bursts of gaming on console suit my ageing lifestyle. I think I'd rather pick up a cheapo PS2 or XBox and trawl the back catalog than get a new gaming PC.

I have been seduced by the lighter, brighter side . . .