IGNORED

Don't Have A Decent Gaming Computer?

Blue

I've never been too bothered at not having a decent gaming P.C. After all I have every home and handheld console for handy, hassle-free gaming at the drop of a hat, I generally can't stand trying to control a character with a keyboard (though I love mouse-aiming) and P.C controllers are a bit shit aren't they?......but......just sometimes....when I read a review of Battlefield 2 or imagine just how wonderful Half-Life 2 really is, I wish I had a Radeon 9600 (or whatever :rolleyes: ) monster to hook up to my nice new 32 inch lcd t.v.

Do you think I should just console (sorry) myself with Xbox live etc, or am I missing more than I think?

Am I an incomplete gamer? :)

Do you ever wish you had a gaming-monster P.C? ;)

While the PC has some truly fantastic games I still spend most of my gaming time in front of the telly playing console games. I am happy to have a nice PC that can handle any game (at least those that has been released so far) and some games are better on the PC than on any console. Overall, though, consoles are better/more fun.

.::: Ehm... I've played some MMORPGs but they never keep my attention that long. The only games I've played on my current pc for longer periods are: Uplink, Age of Wonders, Rollercoaster Tycoon (the first) and any of the ABA Games.

You might notice these are all pretty simplistic yet deep, and that's what I like about them. A lot of PC games just go overcomplex with controls and features just because they can. The same goes for style and such.

SimCity is a prime example. I'd happily play the first one with the worst graphics on earth, but no way I'm going near the new versions. Same goes (sadly) for Civilization.

i REALLY should have mentioned the homebrew stuff.

Have thoroughly enjoyed Sim City 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and Civ3 too.

Games like this (management games that is) just don't appear on the consoles and are very interllectually stimulating.

Keyboards are a bugger to keep clean though.

I do have a pretty decent computer and even though I do generally prefer console games , I would feel like I was missing out if I ever suddenly found myself without one. There are games available for the PC that would never be released on consoles for whatever reason. Most RTS and simulation games for example. Plus the fact that online gaming is so well established on the PC (I really can't stand the Live community).

Well I would miss out playing Total War Rome, Far Cry, Half Life 2 and Football Manager games.

But again I don't have enough time to play all my games on all N64, DC, PS2, XBOX, GC or GBA SP or PSP. I should really trim it down to 2 format and 1 handheld, but it is about likely as me winning a lottery jackpot.

Me either, except for Fallout 1 & 2, which I strongly suggest you buy!

Apart from those, homebrew shmups are all they're good for.  :P

.::: Oh, Christ it's getting REALLY scary now... (O_o) What's next, you eating copious amounts of instant noodles as well?

Definitely. They rock when playing a platformer, racing game, sports game, action adventure like Prince of Persia. You name it and the Keyboard and Mouse combo kill a gamepad.

Prince of Persia worked quite fell on the keyboard and mouse, I thought. I still bought the console one though.

My entire experience with PC gaming was Quake III. The nail in it's coffin was Tomb Raider Gold Edition deciding that it didn't like my sound card and was therefore going to look like a really low budget Mega Drive game. Don't ask me why.

My friends (big PC gamers) told me at the time I could get new cards and the like, but when a top end graphics card costs about the same as a new console, I couldn't be arsed.

Ocassionally I feel like I may be missing out, but not often. Most of the major titles get ported around eventually anyway.

Basically, I'm too lazy to keep up with PC gaming and all it's foibles. My laptop is for work type stuff, my games machines are for games. Plug and play, it's the way forward. :P

I'm not fussed, both have their pros and cons. PCs have Half-Life 2 and stuff, will always be on the cutting edge, and they're brilliant when it comes to user-created content, be it mods for existing games or nice homebrew stuff. Consoles deliver scruffier experiences (i.e do not have the best resolution or whatever) but you don't have to fret about whether or not it will work with your machine, you don't have to faff around with configurations, and...hey...am I turning this into a vs. thread?

Most of the major titles get ported around eventually anyway.

Nah.

The only PC game I play at the moment is GTA:SA, before that HL2 (which I haven't touched since completing it). There doesn't seem to be anything interesting on the horizon either. All the big events are going to be on the next gen consoles for the next year or so, until full DX9.0 support becomes entry-level.

I got to play through HL2 on a friends PC, so I don't feel like I'm missing out there but I do with Battlefield 2. Loved the original but don't have a good enough PC for BF2. Doesn't help that my friends keep going on about it. :P

Speaking of BF2 I was hoping to see a 360 version, but it seems EA are releasing a depressingly cut down version for Xbox and PS2 instead. What a shame, BF2 could surely be done more justice on 360. Not to mention being an excellent selling point for the 360 and to get people on Xbox Live. Still could be fun I guess :-/

Oh, Christ it's getting REALLY scary now... (O_o) What's next, you eating copious amounts of instant noodles as well?

I do scoff a fair few noodles, aye. None of that Bachelor's shite, mind. I like cheap-arse "authentic" chinese stuff.

I have gone from owning PS2/GC/Xbox to just owning a PC now. Depth and beautiful graphics is what I really crave, so it just has to be a PC..

I am not anti-console becuase I have owned many over the years and played them to death, especially N64.

What annoys me about consoles is that the PC game ports are terrible, they always dumb them down etc, Call Of Duty is an example. If you have never played Call Of Duty on the PC then you are missing out massively and thats before you even try multiplayer!

I also don't like the way console graphics age e.g PS2. I could never play on PS2 again because the graphics are so poor. Currently I am enjoying San Andreas in high res with super smooth frame rate and a draw distance that goes for miles. It's like a totally different game to the console versions and I love it!

When it comes to control aspects you can't beat mouse and keyboard for FPS, if anyone says otherwise they are talking shit. I use a PS2 Dualshock controller with an adapter for the games that require a pad (GTA) so you don't have to lose out in that department either.

Its costs more, but theres such a huge back catalogue of amazing games which a dirt cheap and you don't need a monster PC unless you want to play the most current games.