IGNORED

Nes Problems

locke_211

Just unearthed my NES today and whilst it's absolutely brilliant (Ghosts and Goblins, argh! bloody impossible) some of my games just refuse to play. It's a miracle it works at all considering the age, but I read something on this forum about making it have a higher success rate by removing one of the pins on the cartridge connector, or something like that. Anyone know what I mean, or better still have a link to a site that explains it in detail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You have to remove pin 4 of the lockout chip. This will stop the blinking problem and also make it region free but it will not stop the bastard nes problem that is having to blow on your carts a billion times to get them to work (this is caused by dirty pins on both your games and the nes connector and the useless ZIF system).

You need to clean ALL your carts and also the edge connector inside the nes thoroughly. It's also recommended that you bend the pins on the cart connector inside your nes upwards by about a mm or so (not too much!) with a screwdriver so that your carts have a slightly tighter fit when you plug them in. My dodgy old nes games work first time about 95% now after doing this.

Alternatively you can actually buy replacement 72pin connectors on ebay and chuck them in.

Google around for that lockout mod, it shouldn't be too hard to find a page with info and pics.

You have to remove pin 4 of the lockout chip. This will stop the blinking problem and also make it region free but it will not stop the bastard nes problem that is having to blow on your carts a billion times to get them to work (this is caused by dirty pins on both your games and the nes connector and the useless ZIF system).

You need to clean ALL your carts and also the edge connector inside the nes thoroughly. It's also recommended that you bend the pins on the cart connector inside your nes upwards by about a mm or so (not too much!) with a screwdriver so that your carts have a slightly tighter fit when you plug them in. My dodgy old nes games work first time about 95% now after doing this.

Alternatively you can actually buy replacement 72pin connectors on ebay and chuck them in.

Google around for that lockout mod, it shouldn't be too hard to find a page with info and pics.

Thanks, I think I found what I need, in text form at least! Seemed a lot harder to unscrew the base than it should though, the screws are so deep beneath the surface you can't tell where you're putting the screwdriver, though I've always been terrible at this sort of thing so am probably making it harder than it is.

Thank you all, yes thank you! God I'm a technical genius. Nintendo probably want to get me on board for the Revolution. YES!

Now I can play my 'European' copy of Kid Icarus finally. God knows why it didn't work on my PAL NES beforehand, I guess nobody told Nintendo that England is actually in Europe.

Plus I got about two years ago a really heavy funny-coloured cartridge that claims to have 120 games on - that didn't work either. But now it does! And it has mario tennis, mario golf, baseball, galaxian, yie ar kung-fun, bomberman, bombjack, 1942, Twinbee, a weird-as-hell version of SMB where the floor and tree textures are different, the list goes on. Wow!

So now I could just get an original copy of Final Fantasy off Ebay and it'd work? This is all beyond my wildest dreams.

locke_211, did you bother to solder the snipped pin to ground?

I only ask, because on that page with the photos it says `you could`. It doesn't say you have to.

Just wondered what you did.

Rob (who's very tempted to try it with one of the NES systems has has knocking around)

Yeah, never bothered grounding it. (what does that even do?)

If it's grounded, it means it's held at a fixed 0 Volts. If it's left floating then the actual voltage may vary slightly depending on what the surrounding circuitry is doing - in a NES/SNES lockout mod it doesn't seem to matter if you leave the pin floating, but if you do a Saturn 50/60Hz mod and leave it floating then it can sometimes behave randomly.

EDIT: ISTR that some NTSC NES games will have trouble running at 50Hz (i.e. on a PAL NES with the region mod) - do you happen to be able to confirm or deny that, Szczep?

Sadly I cannot.

I only own a handful of NES games, of which only Zelda is NTSC. I just did the mod mainly to play French games on a UK system. I'm actually more of a Famicom game collector, none of which I have tried on a PAL NES with adapter.

I do know that when emulating, some PAL games like Elite, Digger T Rock and Asterix won't work correctly unless you force PAL emulation.

locke_211, did you bother to solder the snipped pin to ground?

I only ask, because on that page with the photos it says `you could`. It doesn't say you have to.

Just wondered what you did.

Rob (who's very tempted to try it with one of the NES systems has has knocking around)

No I didn't, just wrenched it off with a knife. Don't own soldering equipment for one thing! Seriously, I'm the least technically able guy in the world with stuff like this and I managed it, it's the first time I've even seen a chip or a motherboard outside school classes that were about 7 years ago, you really can't go wrong, so I'd try it.

Being so crap at electrics makes snapping that bit of metal feel extra satisfying too.

Was able to play Ice Climbers last night - the first time I realised you could club seals with a mallet was one of the most OMFG! moments in gaming - to think of the stuff Nintendo censored!

I got a pretty decent little nes convertor from robbwebb's family game site.

Dont use retrogamer though, his descriptions are never right.....

Oh and I have a "chipped" nes too. works a treat, though sometimes still does the white screen thing.... usually sorted by blowing on the cart and really driving it home when u insert it....

I did change to a new 72 pin connector, but it stopped working after a few months.... very poor quality