IGNORED

So What Will Be This Gens....

Dimahoo

Kin' hell.

I just got outbid on ICO for £60.

Manged to get one copy for £51 inc. PP with postcards.

I hope its good. Its like the import days again.

Gutted :rolleyes:

The 2 brand new ones i linked to yesterday finished for £27 and £28.

I reckon DK Jungle Beat may well be rare one day, not sure what sales have been like on this great little game.

And yeah, GBA games eventually due to the lack of any legal versions on ebay. Golden Sun 1&2 will get pretty good prices I reckon, also Fire Emblem I reckon.

Ico goes for over £50? Great! Hated it bitterly, and now it looks like I may make a profit on it! Woohoo! :rolleyes:

I personally would say Skygunner is gonna be quite rare and expensive in the future. It never had a PAL release, and in truth, is a rather amazing title.

Seeing as some people are listing off their 'rare' games I'll join in with the few sought after titles I have:

ICO (PAL) - French LE.

Space Channel 5 Part 2 (PAL) - Australian version.

Star Ocean: The Second Story (PAL) - Australian version which comes in a double case like the US version (all the other PAL versions come in a standard PAL PS1 case). Fantastic game that's worth the highly inflated prices it usually sells for. It's in immaculate condition too :lol:

Suikoden II (PAL) - Fantastic game. I remember buying this from GAME and then two weeks later simplygames (when they were good) slashing the price to £9.99. I was annoyed. In the days before eBay they had the game at that price for weeks.

Valkyrie Profile (US) - owned this from new when it was going cheap ($20-$30) pretty much everywhere in the US. Now sells for stupid amounts especially when you consider it's not that good. In immacualte condition.

Skies of Arcadia (GC)

Can't find this for love or money at the moment.

I got a copy for £9.99 new in Game when they had that 'Wanted' sale on a couple of months back. Sold it for £18 on eBay.

As for ICO, i saw seven copies in MVC's pre-owned section about four months ago. They were all in DVD cases though.

This thred proves one thing, people only want to own rare games because they can boast about them on forums.

I see it all the time, thred starts up on a forum about a rare game and then directly the price goes up on Ebay, I know this to be trus as many forumites use the same Ebay name as their Ebay member name.

All sheep looking for bragging material so thay can take a picture of it all showing how great a gamer they are and post it on the internet.

Think I'm a hypocrite? Sure, I have many rare games. I brought them when they were new, when they were just good games that I wanted to play.

If you realy want a rare game, just wait until all the "flash in the pan" forumites move onto the next fashonable game and get it for a reasonable price.

If not all fight amongst yourselves with your pay packets to proove who's the one that has no patience or free will to decide what they want for themselves! :lol: (at people that pay collectors prices)

If not all fight amongst yourselves with your pay packets to proove who's the one that has no patience or free will to decide what they want for themselves!  :lol: (at people that pay collectors prices)

I've read it several times, but this sentence makes no sense to me at all

Some games genuinely pass people by at the time of release and they have to track them down after they have been freely available in the shops/online. Would you begrudge these people the chance to play a game at all just because they didn't buy it at the time of release?

Or are you bothered about people buying games just because they are perceived as rare? Personally, I don't see that as a problem.

Most of the "rare" current gen games can be had outside ebay for less than £30 which is generally less than you'd pay for them in the high street so in some ways it is worth waiting until they aren't as readily available.

Also, I hate smilies when I've turned off images rolleyes ph34r wub lol

People spend too much cash on accumulating 'rare' games only to have them on a shelf and gather dust, only to be looked at once in a while. Last time I checked, games were for playing and not for gathering dust.

Ironic when people also complain about the price of buying new titles when they'd quite happily spend double that on a rare title that has a few extras or such. The same can be said of DVD's as well. Everything decreases in value, it just takes some items longer than others.

Some games genuinely pass people by at the time of release and they have to track them down after they have been freely available in the shops/online. Would you begrudge these people the chance to play a game at all just because they didn't buy it at the time of release?

Fair comment for current generation software, but does the point still hold up for the average gamer that buys SNES, MD or PSX games?

Or are you bothered about people buying games just because they are perceived as rare? Personally, I don't see that as a problem.

Not at all, these people make me a lot of money on Ebay.

Most of the "rare" current gen games can be had outside ebay for less than £30 which is generally less than you'd pay for them in the high street so in some ways it is worth waiting until they aren't as readily available.

I'm glad we agree on this. That was one point of my post.

Also, I hate smilies when I've turned off images rolleyes ph34r wub lol

Ok, I see perhaps that's why my post was not clear.

Absolutely nothing wrong with collecting, IMO. I have tonnes of games and, sure, many of them I am going to struggle to play. However, even though some may find this sad, I do derive some pleasure from both having and looking at them.

I wouldn't pay over the odds for these games, though, as I prefer to keep an eagle eye out for the games I want and get them cheap.

EDIT: You seem very bitted about something, 'master, but I can't quite work out what it is?

There you go, I'm bitter about something or any similar comments.

I've been involved in these discussions many times before.

The only people who are bitter are the ones that want to own rare games really cheaply, kudos without cost.

I'm just making a point that many medecore titles are worth over the odds because they are status symblols. It's desirability that people seek and not rareity.

Otherwise the rarest PAL Megadrive game would be worth loads as it has the smallest production run.

The "what are the rare games" topics actually are asking

a: What can I buy and sell at a profit

B: What can I buy and boast about owning

topics that are asking about hidden gems or cult classics are about the games as games for playing and that's the point.

As I've said before I make a lot of money from the people that want to own the "rare" games and threads like this only add more games to the list for me to buy to sell on for a profit.

The issue is about percieved "rare" games and peoples reason for wanting them.

People spend too much cash on accumulating 'rare' games only to have them on a shelf and gather dust, only to be looked at once in a while. Last time I checked, games were for playing and not for gathering dust.

Ironic when people also complain about the price of buying new titles when they'd quite happily spend double that on a rare title that has a few extras or such

That can be levelled at anything though.

People derive much pleasure from buying cars, reading books, and looking at dried paint, but yet these items can sometimes go for serious amounts of money.

I see no problem with treating games as an investment.

I will play ICO when it arrives and i have invested much time play then Densha and Train Sim real series too.

I see no problem with selling those same titles at inflated price if thats was the baying dogs want.

As already stated - if you REALLY want to play the game that bad then wait for its emulated version to appear.

Its not perfect of course, but you've proberly paid nothing to do so apart from a Hi-Tek PC.

But i'd like to think i'd get something back for my time invested in a game.

Why do i say that, well, proberly because i have paid masses of money in the first place.

If game companies choose to sell games at the prices they do, the buyer deserves the return.

What he said...

A lot of what you say is fairplay. However, you do sound bitter.

Chill out.

Also, a lot of the expensive games are good games. Ico is, arguably, the best game on the PS2.

I wasn't in the position you must have been in when many of the now expensive SNES and Mega Drive games were released. I was surviving on pocket money and, if lucky, was getting 3-4 games a year. I couldn't even afford to have a SNES as well as a Mega Drive. Didn't mean I didn't want the games on the SNES. I loved Mario Kart and used to have to make do with playing it at my friend's house.

It was only in 2000, when I graduated and got a job, that I was suddenly able to buy whatever games I wanted. Now I was able to start going back and buying all the games I had missed out on. Will I be ablet o play them all? Maybe not but the intention IS there.

A lot of what you say is fairplay. However, you do sound bitter.

Chill out.

I'm not sat here mashing my keyboard hard with a scowl on my face or anything.

You back up the distinction I'm highlighting, the games you know you would like to try and not the games with a high price tag. I'm sure that the higher the price tag the better the game must be mentality is part of the drive to own rare games.

It was only in 2000, when I graduated and got a job, that I was suddenly able to buy whatever games I wanted. Now I was able to start going back and buying all the games I had missed out on. Will I be ablet o play them all? Maybe not but the intention IS there.

Exactly the same with me, when I suddenly had a "disposable income" it mean`t I could buy the games I wanted to play. Problem that I`ve got is lack of space. At the moment a new arrival gets 30 minutes to an hour play, then gets put into storage. I`m intending to move house this year and will have a games room we`re I can display and play my collection.

Personally I find the most loved parts of my collection are the "pretty things" like my Gradius jigsaw puzzle (from 1985) and my Darius 2 soundtrack. Nothing in my collection is sealed, very little is mint and its there to be played, not for me to sell on ebay or to make a profit from.

I'm not sat here mashing my keyboard hard with a scowl on my face or anything.

You back up the distinction I'm highlighting, the games you know you would like to try and not the games with a high price tag. I'm sure that the higher the price tag the better the game must be mentality is part of the drive to own rare games.

Sorry, I must have read the tone incorrectly.

Sometimes, that is the case, though.

I think Castlevania SoTN is a terrific game but it's very expensive. I also think Tombi is a great game but that too is expensive. Of course, there are games that I can't understand why they have such a high price - Kula World, for example, but I am sure there are plenty of people who do.

I'm sure that the higher the price tag the better the game must be mentality is part of the drive to own rare games.

I agree, but boasting about what games you`ve got is futile to be honest as due to ebay anything can be obtained at a price, however boasting about how cheap you got a game isn`t (insert story about £4 Sin & Punishment here) B)

Aye, SoTN is too dear. I got mine at a comparatively cheap price (£30, with the fantastic bonus music disc), but I see it going for £80 and above all the time.

It's daft, too, because the non-PAL versions (which are better anyway) are ten a penny. I've had a shitty pirate copy since it came out, so maybe I shouldn't have bothered with either version, but I love the series too much.