IGNORED

So What Will Be This Gens....

Dimahoo

I can see Konami's Ephemeral Fantasia picking up value as the years go by, despite being a load of fucking drivel. Anything Suikoden-related is always a good bet, too, although I doubt prices for 3 and 4'll reach the crazy levels of 1 and 2 - the PS1 titles are simply much more enjoyable games, which always helps demand.

I've just noticed that I have flawless copies of Ico on PS2 (with all the art cards and everything), and Rez, Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2 on the Dreamcast.

Who wants to touch me? Or alternatively, rob me?

Actually, how rare are the DC Shenmues?

As have I, and I daresay quite a few more people on the forum.

Thing is these are worth peanuts. Rez has struggled to make £25 in the trading folder in the last six months, and every GameStation I go into has Shenmue 1 & 2 for aroud £20. In other words they're all going for around the same price as to buy them new. We're hardly talking the silly kind of money people pay for Saturn games.

But then I suppose that's true in any gen. Give it time and who knows.

Ico isn't hard to get ahold of - I've picked up 6 copies in the last few months alone and resold em through eBay for a modest profit - but it's not worthwhile now as there are so many copies on eBay that the price has dropped to 'sensible' levels...

Gitaroo Man is quite hard to get ahold of but I'm not sure it's going to be 'cult' enough to gain value - same applies to Frequency (both games I've owned many times).

Amplitude isn't hard to get ahold of - every branch of Gamestation and Blockbuster I've been to has a couple at least in the 4for£20 deal - same applies to Gunvalkyrie etc. etc. - it's some-way inferior to Frequency anyway tho so...

JSRF isn't easy to come by - unless you count the unboxed freebie with GT discs which fly around eBay, not exactly collectable those tho - again it's not a game people will queue-up to get I suspect.

I think rarities are going to be mostly confined to the GBA and GC - low sales volumes, short shelf lives and high 2nd-hand values due to long, long waits for low-price re-releases (many titles never getting one) could make some of these titles quite collectable.

Currently, for example, Paper Mario and Pikmin 2 are quite hard to find cheap (or Pikmin 2 ANYWHERE!) - both 'may' get a £20 re-release in the coming months of course - but even then I don't see them being easy to find in a few years time.

GBA games rarity is only encouraged by the STAGGERING level of pirated goods on eBay which tends to disguise the true value of genuine carts as well.

One PS2 definate rarity for the future tho is the last Castlevania - no sign of a Platinum release and it wasn't exactly easy to get when new (I sold my copy for MORE than I paid for it just 2 weeks after release!)

For the current generation, I think these games are getting increasingly hard to find :

Ikaruga (DC & GC)

Rez (DC & PS2)

Ico (PS2)

Klonoa 2 (PS2)

Culdcept (PS2)

Not sure about the following :

Phantasy Star Online I & II, I & II Plus, III (US GC)

Sly Racoon

AFAIK definitely not rare, just expensive and/or hard to find in some shops :

Steel Battalion & SB:LOC (Xbox)

Panzer dragoon orta (Xbox)

MGS:Substance (PS2)

Zone of the Enders : 2nd runner (PS2)

Shenmue 1 & Shenmue 2 (DC)

For previous gens, I'd say

Radiant Silvergun (Saturn - Jp only)

Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn - Pal : if I'm not mistaken, only 5000 have been made)

Suikoden 1 (psx)

Suikoden 2 (psx)

Rhapsody (psx)

Valkyrie profile (psx)

Tactics ogre (psx)

Persona 1 (psx)

Persona 2 (psx)

/enter willy-waving mode :D :

I own mint/near mint copies of all those games, heheh. None of them shrink-wrapped though : I have played them all, or intend to play them. That's also why I recently sold my Castlevania games (gba), Vib Ribbon (psx), Arx Fatalis (xbox) - I didn't enjoy playing them, so someone else can now give them the love they deserve...

Although... d) it already appears to have had its eBay value halved, compared to the prices it was going for last year.

3rd-party maracas are not, in my experience (from new!) really worth much.

An original set - so long as they've been cared for - is worth the asking price tho - which seems to be what they cost originally - about £80-90.

Shame Sega Superstars didn't convert more of SdA tho isn't it? :D

Skies of Arcadia (GC) is quite rare I hear, as is the 0-01 printrun of Metroid Prime US - an "updated" version of the game, released a few months (?) before the players choice version. I've heard of Metroid fans paying 50$ for just the disk!

EDIT :

I think the Game of the Year version of Morrowind (Xbox) is hard to come by as well.

I wasn't aware Arx Fatalis was worthy of any love.  Is it rare?

It's definitely hard to find. It's not bad - the problem is : it's not worth playing if you haven't played Morrowind yet (as Morrowind is a much better game), and once you've played Morrowind you'll be put off by Arx Fatalis' glaring flaws. Obviously, that's the reason I sold the game - but there's some fun to be had there, at least if you're into that kind of thing.

I would have said the GC Resi series as they were starting to go for silly money when Resi 4 was released. Things seem to have calmed down, though, and you'd be lucky to break £20 for any of them now. It's about time I picked up CV:X really.

Ico's rarity seems to be something of a self-fulfilling prophecy. There was a time when you couldn't move for mint second-hand copies (mine was less than a tenner not that long ago, and it was always kicking around in the Game bins) but somehow people got it into their head it was 'teh R@RE!!1' and began hoarding copies. Anyone have a rough idea how many were actually sold? I've a feeling it's far less of a niche title than some would have you believe.

The DC Shenmues are still pretty common. Less so in mint condition, but there's still plenty of them around and you shouldn't be looking at more than £20.

I'm smugly awaiting the (inevitable) day Radiant Silvergun is perfectly emulated in MAME, just to watch it destroy the value of all of those selfishly hoarded Saturn copies I know are out there. :D

I wish there were more Radiant Silverguns available.

I've only had the pleasure of playing it once but it was good fun!

My saturn is missing many many rarities, but then I wasn't into gaming that seriously when I had it.

Still I've got a PAL Shining Force 3 pt1, and pts 1 2 & 3 Japanese and the bonus disc that wasnt comerically available - thats my one piece of gaming history right there.

I've got a limited Edition version of Killzone, which comes in a very nice collectors tin.

Is Voodoo Vince rare, and will Killer 7 (Cube) be?

I think Voodoo Vince is hard to find nowadays - if I remember correctly, it flopped at retail. Might become rare. As for the Killzone tin, it's a beautiful collector's item but it isn't really rare, is it? Killer 7 ps2 will definitely not be rare - it's going to sell too many copies. As for the GC version - who nows? I wouldn't hold my breath.

On a side note : I have a tin collector's edition of Unreal Championship 2 for Xbox. Anybody knows if *those* are rare?

As for the Killzone tin, it's a beautiful collector's item but it isn't really rare, is it?

No? I couldn't find any tinned copies in the UK, I had to pre-order mine from a game shop in Belgium, and they were literally the only shop I knew which was selling it.

Ah, I remember the amazing bargains folder thread where someone tipped everyone off about 10 mint cardboard sleeve ICO's that were on sale in Virgin Megastore for a tenner each. Only 2 were left when I got there, but still - nice find :rolleyes: Got £40 for one and have held on to t'other.

How about Doshin The Giant?  PAL-only English release, instantly panned due to Animal Crossing debacle, hence nobody bought it.  Now all it needs is someone to champion it as a cult classic... LOOK RARE!

Blimey, if it's not Mr Lim.

Doshin is a fantastic game.

Whatever the rare games turn out to be - it'll turn out I have them.

I'm a jammy cunt that way. I think if you have a taste for the quirkier games, you end up with a lot of gold in among the crap.

Strangely, I've been offered 30 quid for Akira Psychoball in the past. And that was ages ago. So I dunno what the score is there.

EDIT: The same person offered me 50 quid for a promo edition of Devil May Cry 2 - which has an alternate cover, and has the Diesel logo all over it. It's pretty, and I've never seen another one, but I doubt it's worth anything.

Whatever the rare games turn out to be - it'll turn out I have them.

I'm a jammy cunt that way. I think if you have a taste for the quirkier games, you end up with a lot of gold in among the crap.

[...]

That's *so* true.

Voodoo Vince, Burnout 2 DC. (Xbox)

Burnout 2 DC? I take it that's Director's Cut. What's special about it?

Skies of Arcadia (GC) is quite rare I hear, as is the 0-01 printrun of Metroid Prime US - an "updated" version of the game, released a few months (?) before the players choice version. I've heard of Metroid fans paying 50$ for just the disk!

And the same question to number 2, please. What's the difference? Did they take the Mines out? [/Throw Rocks at Hornet's Nest]

WE6:FE has, like someone has already said, seen it's value tumble greatly. As soon as that guy sold his for £80, everyone put thier copy on eBay, and they all went back to being sold for around £30.

Pikmin 2 (US) is hard to find for much less than £30, too. Whether that qualifies it for this thread, I don't know.

Chibi Robo looks like it could be a rarity of the future. Quirky, niche game, probably a low print run, right at the end of the GCs life... if it's really good, me thinks that'll be one to look out for.

The thing with rare games though, is that they normally just hold thier value, rather than falling to £15 a month after they're released like most games. You're unlikely to make a profit out of these, unless you get lucky and find them cheap in the first place. I'd never bother buying a game with the hope of making money on it in the future.

I can't belive how childish this thread is.

Games are for playing. Sales the rare games are the selfish man's only comfort. I don't complain about older titles (MD, SNES, etc) because these can be moreorless perfectly emulated 99% of the time. I don't mind promo copies of games, because you can always get the "normal" version. Others (Majora's Mask, Conker) have recently been revived through compilation packs, so that's no biggy.

But holding onto shitty titles for their rarity only illustrates how bizarre this pursuit can become.

I can't belive how childish this thread is. etc.

I'm not sure we're complaining, here. Plus, most of the time we're not exactly talking about shit games either.

If you don't like collecting - well that's OK : to each his own. I happen to like the idea that a few of the games I bought & loved playing are becoming rare and/or increasingly hard to find. I see it as a confirmation of my taste/choice in gaming, and I am sure others do as well. Now tell me, how is that childish?

I think most people in this thread, if not all, are simply going through which games they own and play, which also happen to be rare. I've never ever bought a game that I wasn't going to play, or that I didn't think I'd enjoy.

I'd hope everyone else in here was the same