Resident Evil

Let us measure

This thread is very timely. I'm a huge RE fan and have just bought a GC so that I can play REmake, RE0 and RE4 for the first time.

I'm a Sony fanboy, so I had been really missing the series, I played RE1, RE2 and RE3 when they came out first on the PSOne.

I'm so glad I picked up the GC to enjoy the RE series, these are great games. I love what they have done with the REmake.

Are RE2 and RE3 worth getting again on the GC or should I stick with the PSOne versions?

I currently playing through REMake.

I was going to play RE0, next.

What is the better sequence, REmake, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica, RE0, RE4?

Or REmake, RE0, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica, RE4?

RE0 comes before all of them. So I guess the second sequence if you've already started REmake.

The Resident Evil series is definitely my favourite ever. RE2 was probably my favourite before RE4 came out. I was addicted to it. Never did get Tofu though :) The bit where you first see the Licker, a truely 'oh fuck' moment. And where the tyrant thing crashes through the wall when you did the puzzle thing to get the gold cog...wicked. Oh, and where the dark licker drops down through the air vent. I swear it makes me jump every single time. This was the first RE game I'd played and I was totally hooked.

And in RE4 there were moments I just totally dreaded. Like when you have to choose the paths and there are the chainsaw women. brings me out in a cold sweat everytime. And the regenerators. Just hearing them breathing fills me with dread. The prison bit was horrible. There were many 'wipe hands on jeans to dry the sweat off' moments, for me anyway. Needless to say as soon as I completed it I wanted to start over straight away. So I did.

I'm also really liked the first and third in the Gun series, although not many people agree with me. They genuinely tried something different, an inventive use of light guns. The first one being 'Gun Survivor' and the third one being 'Dead Aim'. The second one was little more than an arcade game, though.

It's one of the best games series of all time.

I still remember the hype of the first game and rushing out to buy it on PAL release day.

Fun Fact: I didn't have a memory card so I had to try and play Resi for as long as I could without dying. The furthest I got was the plant room. Not the plant boss. The plant room. :)

The game was stunning for it's time.

It's quite frustrating as a fan to listen to people say how they love Code Veronica or Resi 4 (as awesome as the latter is) but then criticise the rest of the games. They're all worth playing, but Resi 2 is the clear standout. It's the Dawn of this Dead saga. Everything came together: Leon and Clare, limb decapitation, alternative routes, Nemesis, Thing-style mutations, haunting music, the best plot and NPC's of the series... I could go on... it was an utter joy.

I'd love to get my hands on Resi 1.5, with that Eva chick instead of Claire.

I think you mean Birkin instead of Nemesis, but I'm with you on every point, guy. RE2 is the peak of the series, in my eyes the best PS1 game there is, and a testament to Capcom's brilliance.

And yeah, what I would give to have RE 1.5...

It's one of the best games series of all time.

I still remember the hype of the first game and rushing out to buy it on PAL release day.

Fun Fact: I didn't have a memory card so I had to try and play Resi for as long as I could without dying. The furthest I got was the plant room. Not the plant boss. The plant room. :)

The game was stunning for it's time.

It's quite frustrating as a fan to listen to people say how they love Code Veronica or Resi 4 (as awesome as the latter is) but then criticise the rest of the games. They're all worth playing, but Resi 2 is the clear standout. It's the Dawn of this Dead saga. Everything came together: Leon and Clare, limb decapitation, alternative routes, Nemesis, Thing-style mutations, haunting music, the best plot and NPC's of the series... I could go on... it was an utter joy.

I'd love to get my hands on Resi 1.5, with that Eva chick instead of Claire.

I remember playing RE2 without a memory card, in a totally dark room at the tender age of 14. That was bloody scary. Can't remember where I got up to. RE2 is wicked, so high five to you Mr Stu. I really liked Nemesis as well. Ah, balls to it, I love them all.

It had a Nemesis-type stalker as well as Birkin was what I was lazily meaning.

And, "OH!" does anyone have the cheesy rock song from the end of the first game? I'm gonna try n find it on soulseek now...

Oooh! You mean the bloke in the brown coat from scenario 2? I completely forgot about him. He was freaky, an absolute bastard to put down.

It had a Nemesis-type stalker as well as Birkin was what I was lazily meaning.

And, "OH!" does anyone have the cheesy rock song from the end of the first game? I'm gonna try n find it on soulseek now...

I have the full OST, I don't mind emailing you the track. It's brilliant stuff in terms of riff-cheese.

But yeah, that Nemesis-style stalker is Mr X, bit of a nasty Tyrant. Really makes Scenario B a joy.

Exactly how much game was there in the demo? I remember the one you got with RE; The Directors Cut finished once you reached the Stars room, it had a cutscene of Ada that wasn't in the final game as a teaser, but the demo with OPSM I never got to the end of.

Me and my mates spent ages playing the RE2 demo before it came out... (hmmm... it was released on a Wednesday I believe)... we could get past the crashed helicopter within the 10 minute time limit. :)

I remember playing it to death, aye.

I set myself challenges like using the knife only, and became a proper master of the blade. Shame all that training has slipped away, I'm useless with it now. :(

Oooh! You mean the bloke in the brown coat from scenario 2?  I completely forgot about him.  He was freaky, an absolute bastard to put down.

I loved the scene when you take the lift down from the turn-table area to get the engine ignition key, and you catch a glimpse of a security camera mounted above you. Turn the corner, grab the key, quickly check the security camera screen and... OH HOLY SHIT, HE'S HERE! Mr. X slowly walks towards the screen and with one swing of his massive fist destroys the camera.

Panic. Run. Straight into his arms.

I remember getting the original when I was 14, i didn't have a memory card at first either, like everyone else for some reason....

the intro was amazing, like with the cool music in the background, wesker with his shades on, chris, jill, barry....

I played RE2 enough times to get Tofu, and the various extra costumes. I never could finish the mini-game, though.

Do you remember if you played the opening section to the police station without firing a shot, you would meet Brad the helicoptor pilot outside the police station and if you killed him this would unlock something? It took me ages to achieve this.

Another Easter egg was a picture you could find in the Stars office if you pressed X enough times.

My favourite was always RE1, it was the first.

What I never liked about RE2 was the fact that you did not return to the streets. I always thought it was a bit strange that the Police Station should be the front for the whole hidden Umbrella reseach complex. The way RE1 was laid out just seemed more plausable.

Favourite moment in RE1, was when you enter the projector room in the Umbrella lab and you review the presentation slides and they were descriptions of the enemies you would soon be fighting. This was a great way to make you fear what would happen next. RE1 also had some neat variations in gameplay. There was the bit where you had to run away from the boulder. The was also the book puzzle, that mean't you had use your item screen to find the vital object hidden in the books. Did anyone else notice that Tomb Raider and RE1 both had the hidden entrance behind water fountain puzzle. In my mind RE1 always seemed to be a slightly bigger game than RE2.

Should I stick with PSone versions of RE2 and RE3 or get the GC ones, what are the differences?

Do you remember if you played the opening section to the police station without firing a shot, you would meet Brad the helicoptor pilot outside the police station and if you killed him this would unlock something? It took me ages to achieve this.

Another Easter egg was a picture you could find in the Stars office if you pressed X enough times.

Brad appeared on the second play through only though, didn't he? Took about 20 shots to put down and from him you got the Special Key to the alternative costume locker in the save room with the photo developing room.

And that picture you got from pressing X 47 times at the STARS main desk was a picture of Rebecca in a Basketball uniform. Very odd.

And that Mr X guy from scenario two ended up as the big amorphous blob you had to kill on the train at the very end of RE2. The best bit was where he got dropped in by helicopter. When that happened on my first play through, i was thinking, "Oh, shit!" and then when he barged through the wall and cam walking round the corner with that security camera bit <_<

My favourite game series ever. No doubt.

Oh, and Nick, if you have one, get the Dreamcast versions of RE2 and RE3 as they both have a 60hz mode whereas the cube versions don't. I started playing RE2 the other day in 60hz and the speed difference to the PS1 and cube version is incredible, the same with RE3. Lordy, they seem so sluggish in 50hz PAL now.

I had all the DC releases - and flogged 'em! D'oh!

First RE game I played was Code Veronica. Perhaps for that reason it remains one of my favourites. I remember loving the fact that there was just so much of it, that when you thought it couldn't get any better you had a whole other area on disc 2.

I then played RE2 on DC, RE3 on DC, REmake (which was fantastic), RE0 and now RE4 (4 times nearly).

In terms of replayability, RE4 pwns the rest of the series. Possibly because it is more accessible, more linear in structure, but also more deep in gameplay terms. The treasure, weapon choices and the more freeform nature of the individual set pieces make it a markedly different experience each time, whereas the others are exactly the same on each play though. Plus of course you have Mercs and the Shooting Ranges. I have played CV twice though.

The thing about all RE games prior to 4 is that I would always say "I love them, but I understand 100% why someone wouldn't". Some of the conventions, the door opening, the chests etc, seem almost designed to put people off. Contrary to a post earlier in this thread, it is the sheer brilliance of the ambience and atmosphere of the games, the tension, the horror, that made me look past those flaws.

I did struggle going back to "the old ways" though when I played REmake last week. I think I need to go and play some ponderous 8-bit game like Driller or something before I go back to RE!

hang on Mr.X was not the big blob you faced it was william berkin, Mr.X got blown up by the rocket launcher when you faced him on the second game

No it wasn't. Birkin was the thing you shot with the rocket launcher because he was the main villain in the first play through. MR X didn't turn up until the second scenario so it would make no sense for him to turn up as the first scenario's main bad guy, would it?

The only time you get given a rocket launcher in 2 is by Ada though right? And it was definately to defeat a very slightly mutated Mr. X (or he may have just lost his coat so he looked more like the RE tyrant).

no, i have played this one the most out of all them

Mr.X turns up the second and you have one final show down after he falls into the liquid steel and he climbs out with both claws and stuff, after you put both plugs in and charge up the train ada will throw you the rocket launcher and boom he is blown up, no more, end off Mr.X, tell me how somthing that has been blown to pieces come back

William Birkin 6th form *** B scenario only ***

This boss looks more like a bowl of jelly then anything else, you saved one

rocket launcher didnt you ? well now is the time to use it, fire at it with the

rocket then take out your most powerful gun and start shooting, dont worry

about ammo cause this is the final battle of the game , ammo is no

obect here, shoot it alot and the boss will melt down and the battle is over.

that was taken from a guide off games faq, so don't start saying something that is blown up into pieces is the final boss

'Tis true I'm afraid. The big blob on the train has Birkin's tell-tale giant eyeballs.

And I agree with Nick on RE1 being better than RE2. RE2 was short and sweet, and had two sides of the story to compensate for that, but it was a shame you didn't go back out on the streets. I guess RE3 made up for that though...

which RE1 because the remake is far better than the orignal, the tyrant, i used a cruel tatic beating him, i used barry as bait, let barry take all the heat from the tyrant as i shot from afar, when i had the rocket launcher i let the tyrant pick him up before fireing