IGNORED

Resident Evil

Let us measure

First off, this thread is shamelessly pilfered from the fantastic guys on NTSC-UK. Second off, after having been seduced by our forum's very own all-powerful Beertiger into replaying the whole Resident Evil saga from the beginning, a number of things have come to my attention...

1)First thing I noticed was how wonderfully the whole story fits together. Yes it's B-movie tosh, but it's B-movie tosh which is fairly coherent. I started off with REmake, the 'mansion incident', the beginning of the Chris/Wesker feud; went onto RE2 with Claire looking for her brother and the introduction of a certain rookie cop; followed Jill as she desperatly fought to stay-alive in the Nemesis-patrolled streets of an infested Raccoon City; followed Claire yet again a few months later in an abandoned Antarctic laboratory where the Redfield/Wesker saga came to a head; had a flashback to the night before the mansion incident and finally found out what happened to Bravo team and how the T-virus broke loose in the first place; and finally, several years after the collapse of Umbrella, caught up with Leon and Ada in a Spanish-Romania-looking place and fought some chainsaw wielding hillbillies. The story's brilliant, and Wesker has to be one of videogaming's most brilliant villains. For those who haven't, it's well worth playing through RE:CVX - the Wesker/Redfield matrix duel at the end is very well done, but perhaps creates more questions than it answers...

2) We've all gone on (and on and on) about how fan-bloody-tastic RE4 and how it's chock-full of 'sublime set-piece after sublime set-piece'. This is true. But it doesn't detract at all from the fact that, contrary to popualr belief, it is possible to go back to the previous REs after RE4 and that also, Resident Evil has always been jam-packed with fantastic set-pieces. It's like a franchise trademark. Here are some of my favourites!

Remake - I love the whole Lisa Trevor sub-plot. My favourite part of the game is when you first leave the mansion and enter the gardens. You stumble upon a small shed, you enter, you save at the typewriter and then the front door slams. Cue tense music! Lisa's moan is also terrifying, especially if you examine the double doored-entrance to the lab at the beginning of the game. Sends shivers down my spine!

I also really like the whole underground cave set-piece. Hunters sprinting round corners, Enrico's murder and a chase through narrow claustrophobic tunnels with multi-faced Lisa stalking you Nemesis style. RE really is the scariest game in the series.

Resident Evil 2 - Best bits for me were seeing the licker crawl past the window, and when another one crashes through the one-way mirror. Heart attacks all round. I also love the fact that , as opposed to REmake, you really can take two umique paths through the game by playing as Leon or Claire.

Mr. X, as a precursor to Nemesis, is also a tad unnerving, especially when he crashes through the wall in the police station conference room.

RE Code: Veronica - This one's my favourite, but I know that's an unpopular opinion. I think the Nosferatu boss is the best bit - when you first see him tied up and gagged far below you, knowing that somehow or other he's going to end up getting released, and then hearing his tortured, furious screams of agony - pant-shitting stuff!

I also loved the Tyrant boss fight on the plane - very tense, and provides for a great cliffhanger before... the return of Chris! When we see him scaling those cliffs and the ace 'man-on-a-mission' music kicks in, we know thar REs coolest character is back!

So what are your favourite moments and set-pieces in the whole RE series guys? Any particular scenes that stick in the mind? Sure we know that RE4 is probably the best game this generation, but what about it's prequels? There was much to admire there too! In fact playing them again may make you realise that RE4 perhaps wasn't as much as a departure from the series roots as we first thought...

My favourite thing about RE2 was the piano on the soundtrack. It seemed to kick in more when you were at the police station's reception desk. Hopefully you all know the music I mean. It has stayed in my head ever since.

I can't really remember much else about the game, though I do recall the bits you're on about. As well as the zombie that grabs you through the boarded up window, but I guess that's a watered down/copy of the dog in RE1.

Re2 is a fantastic game. I would cream myself if RE5 turned out to have two characters / two scenieros like in RE2. I thought it just made the game even better.

I liked Codename Veronica, but that boss battle on the plane is... crap. Well its crap if you dont have any ammo.

Twice i have got to the plane and have failed both times to kill him. I really cant be bothered to play it again, and REALLY save my ammo.

Re2 is a fantastic game. I would cream myself if RE5 turned out to have two characters / two scenieros like in RE2. I thought it just made the game even better.

I liked Codename Veronica,  but that boss battle on the plane is... crap. Well its crap if you dont have any ammo.

Twice i have got to the plane and have failed both times to kill him. I really cant be bothered to play it again, and REALLY save my ammo.

You don't need ammo do you?

REGENERATORS AAAAAAAAAAARGH

Yeah, they were bastards weren't they? I found their barks to be worse than their bites though, so to speak.

Actually, something I forgot to mention, the lickers' slow breathing/gasping in RE2 is almost as bad as the regenerators'! Both enemies cause you to stop, pause the game and take a breather when you hear their horrible sighs but can't yet see them. Best sound effects ever?

whats the big deal with the regenerators? I thought they were a piece of piss to kill. The only eerie moment was that one when its a long corridor and one of them is in the cell..

And wiener, i think you do because you have to make him bleed, and then he gets weak and you can launch him out the back of the place, with the crate.

RE4 was a fantastic game but I still think I preferred the REmake. I like the backtracking, puzzling aspect of the RE games and the way you can see things slotting into place as you gradually uncover more rooms and progress through the game. I also prefer my RE games to be at least a little bit scary.

RE4 was an exceptionally well-made linear shoot-em-up. Somehow, though, it doesn't feel very Resident Evil, if you know what I mean. Having played it, I don't have any urge to play it through again, whereas I've played RE1 and RE2 multiple times.

1)First thing I noticed was how wonderfully the whole story fits together. Yes it's B-movie tosh, but it's B-movie tosh which is fairly coherent.

Yes, yes and a thousand times yes. I was amazed how well everything fit together and in early games you'd see something pop up that appears later or some event will fit in to what happened a couple of games back.

It fits together so well and it's really annoying when in the Resident Evil film threads you have people going on about how it doesn't matter the story is completely different because the games don't follow each other either.

Hope you enjoyed your survival horror marathon!

I haven't played RE4 yet, and I don't think i finished CV, but they are all great. I like the bit in RE2 (or was it 1?) where you come into a room and the camera is out side the window looking at you. then the shape of a licker crawls across the window....

another great bit is where the Nemesis chases you REALLY fast through the buildings in RE3, and pretty much any moment where you run out of ammo.

is there a resident evil story outline somewhere, detailing dates and events involving wesker, the viruses etc? some parts seem to have slipped my mind.

I think the Resident Evil series, with the exceptions of Code Veronica and RE4 are atrocious. They are held to no standards but their own.

It creates fear not through the clever use of setting, music and ambience but through clumsy deeply flawed game mechanics. It's scarier than other games in the same way that walking through a city at night with a broken leg and a patch over your right eye is scarier than doing it while fit.

The unknown is scarier than what is known, this doesnt apply however when the unknown is merely stuck behind a door.

I prefer Resident Evil 2 although it is the only game in the series that I have actually fully completed. The game is not that scary although obviously it works better in the dead of night, now, the spiders on the other hand, well, entering the sewer in Resident Evil 2, the atmosphere was superb.

This was mainly because I knew they were in there (heard it from people who had played it when it was first released, I completed the Dreamcast version) and then as Leon runs towards the screen the camera changes and lo and behold a huge spider is perched on the wall waiting for me.

The fear and adrenaline was great, I got my revenge when I unlocked the rocket launcher, superb game nonetheless.

Is there a resident evil story outline somewhere, detailing dates and events involving wesker, the viruses etc? some parts seem to have slipped my mind.

A while back GAME gave away limited edition DVD's when you preordered the PS2 Code Veronica. The DVD was called Weskers report and told the story from Weskers point of view from the first game right up to CV.

Oh and definitely one of the highlights of the series for me the opening sequence to the original Resi 1, fucking golden.

My mate was over earlier and we put it on just to watch opening.

The title video is brilliant too with the "ketchup bottle squirt" blood. Love it.

RE4 was a fantastic game but I still think I preferred the REmake. I like the backtracking, puzzling aspect of the RE games and the way you can see things slotting into place as you gradually uncover more rooms and progress through the game. I also prefer my RE games to be at least a little bit scary.

RE4 was an exceptionally well-made linear shoot-em-up. Somehow, though, it doesn't feel very Resident Evil, if you know what I mean. Having played it, I don't have any urge to play it through again, whereas I've played RE1 and RE2 multiple times.

o/\o

I too preferred the Remake over 4. Whilst 4 was outstanding as an action game, it never once scared me or had any creepy atmosphere, only ever slightly stumbling onto that sort of territory in the prison towards the end.

Plus the abundance of ammo meant it was a totally different experience to the one found in the original, where I had to account for every round.

#4 for me was very much like Mikami @ the movies, which isn't a bad thing I hear you all cry but for me I'd like to see a return to form for the inevitable fifth iteration....

Just all IMO.....

#4 for me was very much like Mikami @ the movies, which isn't a bad thing I hear you all cry but for me I'd like to see a return to form for the enivitable fifth iteration....

Just all IMO.....

And lose all those people who think RE is shit, but that RE4 is a work of the Gods? I don't think so.

RE fans who dislike 4 to the "normal" RE games are in the minority in comparison to fans of RE4 who dislike the "normal" ones. If Capcom don't realise this, they are most certainly fools*.

I respect your opinon of which is the better style of game, obviously. I just hope Capcom stick with the RE4 engine, and I'm pretty sure they will.

*Though if they are the ones responsible for only getting 7 copies of the game out in the UK, then they are already fools. Supremely talented, genius level fools.

I really should finish CV, I got up to the bit with a certain person becoming a monster and I couldn't remember how to get away without getting murdered so gave up. I'm also up to the shed in REmake, was dissapointed that it didn't really seem scary second time through. 2 is the only GC one I'm missing but have it at home for the PC.

I'm actually quite fond of RE3 too and I only bought that like 2 weeks before 4 came out so it's not due to nostalgia or anything. I guess it just felt like it was a good step towards the feel of 4, I never felt my inventory was as much of a problem as the rest in the series (I despise 0 for this) and it always seemed to have lots of ammo to waste on people (zombies).

There are actual Resident Evil novels available although whether they follow the game closely is another matter entirely, I mean look what happened to the film adaptation.

I have a few, but they're mostly divorced from the game's storyline.

I'm actually quite fond of RE3 too and I only bought that like 2 weeks before 4 came out so it's not due to nostalgia or anything. I guess it just felt like it was a good step towards the feel of 4, I never felt my inventory was as much of a problem as the rest in the series (I despise 0 for this) and it always seemed to have lots of ammo to waste on people (zombies).

True this. RE3 felt very much more like an action/shoot 'em up game than a tense survival horror and I think its RE4's true spiritual predecessor in this respect. Obviously the Nemesis chase sequences were always way up there on the scare-o-meter, but you nearly always had enough ammo to deal with him.

I just finished the DC version of RE3 last night. Cracking stuff. Forgot how good it was. Oh, and for anyone that's bothered, with the DC versions of 2 and 3 both having 60hz options along with 2 having full screen FMV, the Dreamcast has the best versions of these two. Miles better than the frankly shit cube versions.