IGNORED

Nes Collection

Lorfarius

I can't scan in any pictures, sorry. My collection is pretty big, but unfortunately they're all PAL games and are pretty cringeworthy to play when you've been using emulators for years (the slowness in terms of gameplay and music is very apparent). Probotector is particularly upsetting, haha.

You have a very smart collection there, and I must say you've done well to keep your NES nice and grey. Mine's chuffing yellow! Did you have a NES "back in the day", or are you kind of catching up by buying these games now?

As an aside, does anyone have a spare AC adapter for the SNES? I lent mine to a friend whilst I went on holiday years ago, and ever since then I've had to mess with the adapter and put it in all sorts of funny positions just to get my SNES to work. If these things are actually worth quite a bit of money and I'm being impertinent, please tell me to fuck off. :rolleyes:

PS - Seek out Rad Gravity, it's boss!

You have a very smart collection there, and I must say you've done well to keep your NES nice and grey. Mine's chuffing yellow! Did you have a NES "back in the day", or are you kind of catching up by buying these games now?

PS - Seek out Rad Gravity, it's boss!

I was a big user of emulators for a long, long time then one day I managed to find a NES at a carboot and just realised that true retro feel only comes with holding the pad in your hands and playing it on your TV. From then on I was hooked. Sadly I never owned a NES in the day, instead I had a Master System but I can still remember sneaking round a mates house far too often and playing the good ole NES console.

Ah, nice. Doesn't the difference in speed get on your nerves? Maybe I'm just a right anal sod. For some reason, even PAL games being emulated PAL style on windows feel faster than they do on the actual PAL NES!

The difference between (the American) Contra and Probotector is really quite shocking, and seems to be far greater than the "17.5%" that people often talk about.

Ah, nice. Doesn't the difference in speed get on your nerves? Maybe I'm just a right anal sod. For some reason, even PAL games being emulated PAL style on windows feel faster than they do on the actual PAL NES!

Maybe its the rose tinted glasses but the difference in speed rarely annoys me.

Aye, obviously when I was little I didn't know there was any difference, but now it's like "Phwoar, we were jipped big-time!" :rolleyes:

Bloody tellies, eh.

Ive just been playing MegaMan 3 on the console, now youve pointed it out I keep noticing every lil speed issue!

I used to have a NES with Mario Brothers 3, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Marble Madness and Super Off-Road. Unfortunately the NES suffered from the common fault of just powering up and then turning itself on and off again (power light just blinked) and so I decided to sadly discard it and sell the games on.

I never did get to play Turtles. Quite annoyed at that.

I used to have a NES with Mario Brothers 3, Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Marble Madness and Super Off-Road.  Unfortunately the NES suffered from the common fault of just powering up and then turning itself on and off again (power light just blinked) and so I decided to sadly discard it and sell the games on.

I never did get to play Turtles.  Quite annoyed at that.

Sadly thats a common fault in NES's today. Usually its the pins inside the cartridge slot which tend to bend after continued used. You can either replace the unit or reset them yourself.

Funnily enough, today I purged the very last of my NES stuff - boxed and pretty much mint Super Mario 3 and Solar Jetman. Held onto them for sentimental reasons long after getting rid of everything else, but woke up this morning full of steely resolve.

For gods sake people, the flashing light problem can be fixed by cutting a single pin.

LOOK HERE:

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/nes-lockout.htm

See? Problem solved. :P

Now you too must go out and help a NES-gaming-brother out by linking them to such a guide.

This doesnt solve all cases. If the pins in the cart slot are too far back it wont work, no matter what pin cutting you do.

I've been looking to "upgrade" to a Famicom for some time now - would it be cheaper to just cut this pin and buy the adapter mentioned on that site? If so, where can I get one of these fellas from?

Cheers!

Ebay is your best bet. Just look for 60/72 Pin Adaptors.

The difference between (the American) Contra and Probotector is really quite shocking, and seems to be far greater than the "17.5%" that people often talk about.

You should check out the original japanese version for an even bigger shock - Extra animated backgrounds, a full story complete with intro and also cut scenes in bewteen stages. Translations available online at the usual places (i realise this is a Nes CONSOLE thread and not emulation related but it's well worth at least trying this particular rom out to see what we missed!)

You should check out the original japanese version for an even bigger shock - Extra animated backgrounds, a full story complete with intro and also cut scenes in bewteen stages. Translations available online at the usual places (i realise this is a Nes CONSOLE thread and not emulation related but it's well worth at least trying this particular rom out to see what we missed!)

Aye mate, I've seen it running - nearly wept!

:blink:

I loved my NES as a kid. Then when I discovered ebay, I went through a collecting habbit of trying to buy them all up. Then I just suddenly stopped, and thought that was enough. It's not though, there're still a few games I would like to get, but they are the expensive ones. In terms of numbers I have about 150 NES games (this does include a few dupes though).

Whilst we're on the subject of the NES, there's one question no one has ever been able to answer me. Did The Empire Strikes Back get a UK release? I've seen US copies and German copies, but I've never, ever seen a UK copy, so I'm assuming for some strange reason they didn't bother. Anyone?

I loved my NES as a kid. Then when I discovered ebay, I went through a collecting habbit of trying to buy them all up. Then I just suddenly stopped, and thought that was enough. It's not though, there're still a few games I would like to get, but they are the expensive ones. In terms of numbers I have about 150 NES games (this does include a few dupes though).

Whilst we're on the subject of the NES, there's one question no one has ever been able to answer me. Did The Empire Strikes Back get a UK release? I've seen US copies and German copies, but I've never, ever seen a UK copy, so I'm assuming for some strange reason they didn't bother. Anyone?

I have a pretty comprehensive European list and it doesnt mention a UK version. So it probably didnt happen :lol:

I love the Famicom system. It was the first machine I owned as a kid, and with the thriving Hong Kong bootleg scene where I lived (South Africa), you could buy cheap bootleg games by the dozen. My first cartridge was a 32 in 1, which had all the old Nintendo classics in their original form.

Ahh, sweet bliss. Say what you like, but to a small kid starting school, bootleg games were great. Most parents could afford to buy a new one every few months or so. So most of us were always well stocked.

I highly recomend getting an adapter to play Famicom games, since while the West only had a few hundred releases, Japan had over a thousand, many of which were purely action based.