You A Garth Marenghi Fan?

biglime

Okay.

Just got clued up on some of this....

The boys behind Darkplace are working on:

'Deano's After Dark'

A chat show hosted by Dean Learner, from Darkplace, with Matt Holness playing Garth Marenghi, and other characters.

Early word is that the recordings were 'hilarious'.

Glad to be able to tell y'all!

:(

tickets available here:

http://www.riversidestudios.co.uk/cgi-bin/...xt&l=1120057148

Avalon TV/Promotions

Deanos' After Dark

Richard Ayoade and Matthew Holness, the Perrier Award winning team behind Garth Marenghi's Darkplace try out new material for their forthcoming Channel 4 series.

The first series was a spoof horror/documentary so expect more of the same!

Monday 4 July - Monday 1 August

Daily Performance Details can be found in the Calendar

8.00pm

Studio 3

£4.00

I went to see a try-out of this on Monday, and it was... okay. The show's basically a chat show- Dean Learner interviews Garth Merenghi and somebody else. I assume the somebody else is different every week- when I saw it, the new character was Weir Merryweather, a folk singer.

The problem with it is that it's basically the same as the Alan Partridge chat show- most of the jokes revolve around Learner being an inept, self-aggrandising interviewer. The folk singer segment was particularly bad for this, with most of Learner's jokes coming straight out of Knowing Me, Knowing You. The actual folk singer character is okay, but isn't really all that funny- Matt Holness is a superb guitar player, but not a lot of the material really worked.

The Garth Merenghi section was better, and was much more popular with the audience, who were obviously all there purely to see that character. This whole bit was modelled on a Q&A format, which was very funny. I'm not really sure how that would work as a TV show, though- most of the questions and answers wouldn't have been all that funny to non-Merenghi fans, as they were pretty specifically focused on aspects of Darkplace and his standup. I was going to ask a couple of questions but bottled it, I'm afraid.

To be honest, I'm not especially sure how well this new show's going to work- the appeal of Darkplace was the detail and ridiculousness of the fake show. Just having the characters on their own wasn't anywhere near as good, and Holness & Ayoade's new characters don't seem to be that funny.

Somebody did ask about the DVD at the show I attended, and the following information was revealed:

-There are commentaries for all episodes, which apparently descend into bitter arguments between Learner, Merenghi, and the actor Todd Rivers, due to old wounds being opened.

-There are extra interviews and deleted scenes

-There will be a full version of 'One Track Lover', complete with video.

However, there's no date for the DVD's release as yet, and according to certain comedy forum, it may never get released at all.

Somebody did ask about the DVD at the show I attended, and the following information was revealed:

-There are commentaries for all episodes, which apparently descend into bitter arguments between Learner, Merenghi, and the actor Todd Rivers, due to old wounds being opened.

-There are extra interviews and deleted scenes

-There will be a full version of 'One Track Lover', complete with video.

Fucking Yes!!

Darkplace was utter hilarious but I missed a few episodes when it was on tv, cant wait for the DVD.

• 7 months later...