Stephen King

Silent Runner

You can't care too much about the words if you're willing to wait. Ah, you mean you're cheap.

Waiting until something becomes more affordable, or until you have time to read it, can hardly be considered uncaring.

No matter what edition you read, the content is unchanged.

Waiting until something becomes more affordable, or until you have time to read it, can hardly be considered uncaring.

No matter what edition you read, the content is unchanged.

Whilst the previous poster made it clear he only cares about the words and they will indeed be unchanged, this first edition will be unique due to the illustrations. That cover is all kinds of awesome and whilst I don't expect every King fan to be up for this edition, it's hardly a king's ransom at 25 bucks + postage for a unique first edition. Maybe I expected a little more enthusiasm from genuine King fans, I know I would've been grateful for the heads up if I hadn't found out about it of my own accord. Quite staggered how scarce information of this release is.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for that.

I'm quite excited by this, my order should be shipping shortly.

Mine too - I ordered it the day it was announced - first time I've ever gone out of my way to pick up a limited first edition, but the price was pretty decent. Now I keep getting emails from Cemetary Dance pimping up how collectable it's going to be (and also the 2nd printing 'library' edition')...

Mine too - I ordered it the day it was announced - first time I've ever gone out of my way to pick up a limited first edition, but the price was pretty decent. Now I keep getting emails from Cemetary Dance pimping up how collectable it's going to be (and also the 2nd printing 'library' edition')...

Yeah, same here but do you know what, I do reckon this will be worth more in 10 years than what we have paid for it. How often does that happen?

Finished "Under the Dome" last week. Liked it a lot overall, especially

the Apocalypse that I thought would have been stopped from happening just in time thanks to our heroes actually taking place

although

the ending was a bit lacking and unhinged ... the whole 'hand of God' thing doesn't really do it for me

Now I'm reading some other authors but I've got 4 more Kings on the pile: Blaze, Cell, Lisey's Story and Just After Sunset.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So I finally finished the dark tower after a two year break between wizard and glass and wolves of Cala. When I eventually picked up Cala again it introduced one of my favorite characters of the series and I read the rest of the books within a week or two. I honestly could not have had a bigger smile on my face with the ending. Hugely satisfying stuff sai King.

Then I went directly into IT which I can't wait to reread. That book is FILLED with brilliant moments of horror. Oddly, my favorite bits didn't concern any of the main characters.

Eddie Cochran running away, Patrick with his killing 'jar' and the axe murderer in the bar

I've been toying with what to read next, dipping into Salem's Lot and Duma Key but I've settled on the Insomnia audio book read by Eli Wallach. Occasionally smiling at the casual references to IT.

There are some really good King books. OP said the stand was the greatest american novel ever written, I think the OP should read a few more books :D The Stand is excellent, but not worthy of such high praise.

:lol:

Whoops.

It's quite a coincidence though, five years is approximately how long it takes to read The Stand :coffee:

The best novel I've even read is Halo: The Fall Of Reach.

That's crap, you should read the Starcraft books.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ive only read Salems lot about 5 years ago or so which was pretty cool. I did enjoy that and at the time had been also reading a few James Herbert novels too which are also good. There was a point where I touched on a bit of Cujo, but never actually completed the whole book.

Reading The Stand at the moment, about 500 pages in. It varies between self-indulgent twaddle and really gripping. Feels a bit too much like it was his baby and he couldn't bear to lose the less interesting characters.

Yeah, the revised edition of The Stand was the beginning of the end (of King being properly edited). His novels are fantastic, but many are 200-300% longer than they should be. I'd love to go through the later Dark Tower novels with a hatchet. But he tells such fantastic stories, I have to read them.