Stephen King

Silent Runner

AARGH! It's a ghost card!

Also, once your card has been ressurected, check out the books by Joe Hill; there's 'Heart Shaped Box' and a book of short stories called '20th Century Ghosts.' He's none other than the son of King, and a damn good writer in his own write (right.)

Recently read this, very enjoyable read.

I've recently had a craving for a Stephen King, unusually since I haven't read one in ten years. I've read Pet Cemetary, Tommyknockers (too scared to finish it), Cujo and a load of short stories - they were my favourites.

Recommend me do!

Salem's Lot - it's perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
Firestarter is good, a real page-turner

Cool. I've bought 14 King books in the last fortnight (never read anything of his other than the DT series) and that's one of them. Unfortunately I'm reading Moby Dick and The Kingdom of Infinite Space just now so I might die of old age before I get round to the King books.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought 39 Stephen King books. Pretty much his whole canon, of which I have read precisely 0. If this thread is anything to go by, I have good times ahead. So, am I right to start with a couple of the short stories, or some of his early shorter works, and leave the bigger ones for later. Any one in particular for someone who has read no King whatsoever?

I've just bought 39 Stephen King books. Pretty much his whole canon, of which I have read precisely 0. If this thread is anything to go by, I have good times ahead. So, am I right to start with a couple of the short stories, or some of his early shorter works, and leave the bigger ones for later. Any one in particular for someone who has read no King whatsoever?

Wow, holy shit, youre in for a treat. Ive read alot of his stuff, (not all, mind). Id say to guide you in, start with some sort stories, or novellas. Go with, i think, Nightmares and dreamscapes, which has the novella 'The Mist'. Its about 150 pages long and is excellent. The rest of the short stories are very good too.

After that, maybe go with Pet Cemetary. Yes, the film is a joke, but my god the book is AMAZING. And its not too long either, just an amazing read. After that, work your way up to his best stuff, i.e. Salems Lot, and his IMO, masterpiece, IT (another shitty film, but amazing book). Ive read IT god knows how many times, and for a 1000 odd page book, thats saying something.

Ive never read any of the dark tower so cant comment on them.

I'm really looking forward to Under the Dome. Sounds like it might be real old-school King, especially as it's something he first started 25 years ago. Supposedly clocking in at 1000-odd pages with a neat sounding sci-fi premise (albeit one that sounds on the surface a little similar to events in Robert R McCammons Stinger), it sound like it might be a good 'un.

On an entirely normal, beautiful fall day in Chester’s Mill, Maine, the town is inexplicably and suddenly sealed off from the rest of the world by an invisible force field. Planes crash into it and fall from the sky in flaming wreckage, a gardener’s hand is severed as ‘the dome’ comes down on it, people running errands in the neighboring town are divided from their families, and cars explode on impact. Dale Barbara, Iraq vet, teams up with a few intrepid citizens against the town’s corrupt politician. But time, under the dome, is running out....

I haven't scoured this thread but as one of mr king's constant readers, if not the constant reader, I'd like to advocate two of the most recent novels in lisey's story and duma key. I think steveo is back on top form, if not more emotionally aware then ever. Like the passing of gandalf, i'll shed tears when he's gone.

I'll read pretty much anything King writes (even the proverbial laundry list), but Lisey's Story isn't a favourite. Duma Key on the other hand is fabulous.

I agree with what you say about him. When he's no longer with us there'll be a real hole in my life - I've been reading his stuff every year since I picked up a copy of Night Shift 28 years back, and it'll be a sad day when there aren't any new King books to look forward to. Here's to long life and happiness.

Is Blaze any good? I picked it up cheap a few weeks back, but started A Game of Thrones instead. Now I'm debating whether to read Blaze next, or head straight into A Clash of Kings.

And I agree with the last couple of posts; Duma Key is excellent. I need to pick up Lisey's Story, no idea why I haven't grabbed it yet.

Is Blaze any good? I picked it up cheap a few weeks back, but started A Game of Thrones instead. Now I'm debating whether to read Blaze next, or head straight into A Clash of Kings.

And I agree with the last couple of posts; Duma Key is excellent. I need to pick up Lisey's Story, no idea why I haven't grabbed it yet.

How bizarre, I read Blaze back in July and Game of Thrones (again) the same month!

I thought Blaze was pretty average (by King's standards), it's a decent read, but I found the plot and the ending in particular a bit disappointing.

A Clash of Kings on the other hand is amazing :lol:

Just finishing off Feast for Crows now, I got suckered by Amazon advertising book six to come out this autumn, so have re-read the whole series this summer in expectation for book six coming out. Doh

Roll on the HBO series :lol:

I didn't like Bag of Bones. In 'On Writing' I think King himself wasn't too fond of it either, it was one of the few books that he wrote with an actual 'plot planning' in advance and felt too crafted and overworked as a result or something.

Hmm... I nabbed a copy of Lisey's Story today, I might do that instead next. (Purely based on reading the back of the book)

I've been really getting into the Dark Tower series, they really are amazing books. The Gunslinger I wasn't too fond of, but it was some of his early work so it was forgivable. The Drawing of the Three was really solid and I really enjoyed it, not that much fantasy in it though. The Waste Lands was phenomenal, one of the best books I have read. Now I am on to Wizard and Glass, it's still really good but changed to Rolands back story. Please tell me that the remaining books maintain the bar that was set with Waste Lands? And that the conclusion to it all is amazing? No spoilers though