IGNORED

Mojo Magazine

I know this mgazine is primarily aimed at geriatrics, but I just wanted to speak of my respect for it. The cover cds are ridiculously good, and I have learned so much from reading it. They seem to get the balance right between old and new, and their reviews are pretty respectable, if slightly too lenient. To me, it is the music Edge, and has helped me after getting fed up of the NME turning into Smashhits. Any other fans?

I know this mgazine is primarily aimed at geriatrics, but I just wanted to speak of my respect for it. The cover cds are ridiculously good, and I have learned so much from reading it. They seem to get the balance right between old and new, and their reviews are pretty respectable, if slightly too lenient. To me, it is the music Edge, and has helped me after getting fed up of the NME turning into Smashhits. Any other fans?

Yeah, I'm getting into Mojo too. Them, and Uncut, actually offer decent broad ranging music journalism of the sort that NME and Melody Maker (and Sounds for that matter) used to be renowned for before they became scene chasing record company whores..

There's always a bit too much of an emphasis on 'classic' rock/musicians for my liking but it's always a decent read and eminantly more enjoyable than Wire's ludicrously left-field focused whitterings.

The Chess CD on the cover this week is fucking hot. :ph34r: Especially that first Ramsey Lewis Trio track. I agree, their CDs do open up a lot of new music styles.

I like Mojo. I can't easily digest it, but in that way it is good, because it means I have to read articles a couple of times. Their reviews are good, and I like the way they look to review new albums from all around the music world.

Yes! The Ramsey Lewis trio cd is obscenely good. I'm going to have to investigate further. Like the look of the Ali Farka Toure album very much as well.

I've been holding out on buying Mojo and similarly not listening to Radio 2

At 34 it'd be like giving in to middle age. Next stop, Bob Dylan bootleg box sets, cup of tea and comfy slippers.

I'm 15 and buy Mojo and listen to Wogan in the morning sometimes. Make of that what you will. :ph34r:

I listen to Radio 2 at work and turn to Radio 1 if I really hate the song. Radio 1 seems to suffer from major ateention defectit disorder, playing the same song maybe 7 times in a working day, that is my main gripe. Plus who wants to here Audio Bullys at 11am?

Shit! thats a purchase for me!

Yeah, they cant really go wrong. Hopefully the disc includes some of the harder to find Rotary Connection cuts, some (electric) Muddy Waters and loads of Charles Stepney goodness.

Though I never seem to buy Mojo it is definitely a great mag - it complements The Wire perfectly.

I picked it up last night and its a really good cd.

The Rotary Connection track is Black Gold Of The Sun but the stand out track for me is the Muddy Waters/Electric Mud track (which I can't remember the name of right now).

Its well worth £3.95 anyway.

Yeah, I'm getting into Mojo too. Them, and Uncut, actually offer decent broad ranging music journalism of the sort that NME and Melody Maker (and Sounds for that matter) used to be renowned for before they became scene chasing record company whores..

I don't consider Uncut's range very broad at all. Another main feature on REM this month. So it'll be either U2, the Beatles, the Stones or Pink Floyd next month, then.

I don't consider Uncut's range very broad at all. Another main feature on REM this month. So it'll be either U2, the Beatles, the Stones or Pink Floyd next month, then.

Or Bob Dylan :rolleyes: . I did make that point in my second paragraph but Uncut, in particular are always digging up new bands and their reviews pages cover most genres pretty well. And even their coverage of the rock dinosaurs is mostly well written and can be entertaining whether or not who have any interest in the band's music. A sign of good journalism IMO.

I got mojo last month, after deciding on a magazine which could be the musics equivalent of Edge. I love the cd (the U2 playlist), but it's one of the most boring magazines i have ever read. I hate the font and the bland pages with lots of white space. The inside of the magazine doesn't seem to want to make an impact, its layout isn't appealing, it's headlines predictable or dribble, and they seem to take ages at making a point.

So i'm still in search of a musical equivalent of Edge, hoping I dont have to end up getting the Q magazines.

About two months ago I saw a music magazine on a crowded music shelf in whsmith. It had a style similar to Edge. It was square shaped, had that glossy card look and feel to it like Edge, and had an artistic style. On the cover it had the Gorrilaz. Does anyone know what the mag is called?