IGNORED

My Two New Amigas.

Yod@

Just got these very recently - one black, one white.

Very "Ikaruga". :D

First the black one:

Black.jpgBlackOpen.jpg

It has an internal scandoubler, a Picasso II gfx card, and a Warp Engine with a 28MHz 68040 CPU. A couple of hard drives, CD-ROM, about 60Mb ram.

The white one:

White.jpgWhiteOpen.jpg

For the nerds, here's a list of all the bits I've got - *deep breath*

A 28MHz 68040 Warp Engine, a 40MHz 68040 card, a Dblscan 4000 (scandoubler), Picasso II and Picasso IV graphics cards, Ariadne network card, Buddha IDE card, a Catweasel IDE/PC floppy card, a couple of SCSI cards (one with a drive mounted directly onto it, seen in one of the pictures), a Vlab 1.3 capture card, a GG2 bus board (not even sure what that does!), and about 100Mb of RAM - as well as a few IDE and SCSI hard drives, and some CD-ROMs. And an LS-120 floppy drive.

Both of these machines were faulty (very common problem - after a long period of time, the battery starts leaking and corrodes the board), but I managed to repair one of them. Might still be able to get the second board functioning as well.

So the working one has 96Mb RAM, the 40MHz 68040, the network card, and the Picasso IV. I managed to get everything installed and configured, behold a 24-bit Workbench:

Boing.jpg

Wow. I'd love to get a super-powered Amiga. Do they use A1200 motherboards? I guess so.. or A4000?

In fact would you just build me one?

Seriously, If I was to make a super-miggy I'd be more interested in making it play as many classic Amiga games as possible rather than run later workbenches in 24-bit (nice as it looks).

I think I'd stick a decent sized HD into an A1200, and set up software emulation for Workbench 1.3 and 2 stuff, which I think should get most games running.

Then I'd just fill up the HD with WHDloaded games.

And then put in an 040 for the extra kick that some of the 3d games needed. Can you do this to an A1200 and keep it in its original case?

Wow. I'd love to get a super-powered Amiga. Do they use A1200 motherboards? I guess so.. or A4000?

The two towers have A4000 boards, although it is possible to put an A1200 into a tower case.

It's even possible (albeit prohibitively expensive) to get add-on boards for the A1200 in order to use larger Zorro or even PCI cards.

You certainly don't need anything particularly fancy just to play Amiga games though - the gfx cards will be useless for 99.9999999% of them anyway.

My "normal" machine is an A1200 with 8Mb ram and a 10Gb hard drive in it, with loads of games installed (WHDLoaded) onto the hard drive. My Xbox has exactly the same setup for WinUAEX:

WinUAEX2.jpg

It's possible to get 68030 and 68040-based accelerator cards for the A1200 (they fit inside the trapdoor expansion slot), but games compatibility tends to drop with these processors, and they'll only improve 3D games a bit.

I've been putting up with listening to Yod@'s jammy bast antics for over a week on MSN :D

To be fair though, he's REALLY had to work at getting any life from one of the machines (the second is still dead I believe), so it's not been without effort.

However, those pictures show it was certainly worth it.

He's still a git, though ;)

Edit:

My current setup is:

- An Amiga 1200 in a Power Tower (PC style tower)

- 34 megs of RAM (2 on board and 32 extra)

- 8 gig hard drive

- 68030 expansion board @ 50mhz

- 2 floppy drives

- CD ROM Drive

Yod@ is certainly correct when he says that a faster CPU can cause a few problems. Demos often run a bit weird as they were based so much on clock speeds, and some games give some seriously weird results.

Still, with new game hard drive installers coming out all the time this is becomming less and less of a problem.

Rob

Puts my stock 1MB A500 to shame! It was old in 1997, when I bought it for god knows how much

Haha, I wouldn't be too ashamed. As I mentioned, the higher-specced Amigas aren't necessarily that much better for gaming with regards to compatibility.

I also think you'll find that very few people will own an A4000 unless they're die-hard Amiga fans - even the hardcore Amiga fans will usually have towered A1200s. And A4000 owners will almost certainly have quite a few other Amigas - I've got an A500, an A500+, 2 or 3 A600s, 2 A1200s, and a CD32 as well. And, from what I've seen on other forums, my collection has been considerably dwarfed by others!

If anyone's thinking of getting into Amiga gaming again, here's what I'd recommend that you look out for on the cheap:

*An A1200 (say around £30 on ebay for an unboxed one but with some games/peripherals) - an A1200 is great value for money, it has an internal IDE port and the AGA chipset used by a lot of newer Amiga games.

*A RAM expansion. You can find RAM-only expansions, or you can get expansions which consist of both a faster accelerator and a RAM slot.

A stock A1200 only has 2Mb of RAM, and most games will require more than that if you're running them off the hard drive (a lot of WHDLoads just copy the entire game into RAM, and then patch it to run it from there).

A RAM-only expansion with, say, an 8Mb SIMM would usually be worth around £15ish on ebay - if you're lucky, you may get an A1200 which already has one fitted.

I will also point out that the combination of a hard drive and an accelerator will often be too much for an ordinary A1200 PSU to handle - you'd probably need a meatier one (which therefore adds a bit of cost to the whole thing). Since there's not much benefit to having an accelerator and it will also be cheaper, I recommend that you go for a plain old RAM expansion.

*It's possible to fit either a 2.5" laptop hard drive into an A1200 or a 3.5" drive (it's easy if it's a very slim 3.5" drive, although it's possible to put a full-height 3.5" drive in there if you're willing to sit on the case to get it closed afterwards :D).

The standard A1200 IDE interface and filesystem will only be able to use the first 4Gb of an IDE drive - but Amiga games are small, so it's usually not an issue. It's possible to use drives/partitions larger than 4Gb, but for the sake of simplicity I'll ignore it now.

I find the slimline Seagate 10Gb Xbox drives are ideal for fitting inside an A1200.

You should be able to pick these up very cheaply (£5-10) on ebay or wherever.

*Note that the A1200's IDE connector is a 2.5" type - i.e. 44-pins. If you use a 3.5" drive, you'll need a 44-to-40-way adapter or cable. Usually around £5-10 on ebay or wherever.

That's pretty much all you need. I can give more specific information with regards to installing WHDLoaded games onto the hard drive if anyone wants it.

Oops, nearly forgot to say - if you're going to use WHDLoad a lot, then register it on the website! Considering the time and effort that has gone into making these installs, as well as all the bug-fixes and decreased loading-times that it brings, it's an absolute bargain.

The registered version will not have any nag requesters which are present on the demo version. (I think some games will also only run with the registered version - Moonstone is one of them.)

Just wondering, is it possible/feasible to do the same sorta thing with a CD32?

Cost is a bit of a problem - AFAIK the only way to add RAM/hard drives etc is with an SX-1 type expansion for the CD32, and last I heard they were still pricey.

A lot of games also need the use of a keyboard (to skip copy protection, start the game etc), which means you've also got to fork out for a CD32-compatible keyboard if you don't already own one.

I do know of a guy who put together a couple of self-booting discs (one with 444 games, another with 888 games) on it - designed to run on the CD32, has a front end which can be navigated with a pad - but the loading times are very poor due to the CD32's slow drive (1x or 2x I think). He's left off any games which require more than 2Mb of RAM to run though (quite a lot of them do!), and I think he left off the ones which require any keyboard presses.

If you're interested in trying the CD32 disc images, drop me a PM with your name and address. I won't be able to post them until I'm back from holiday on the 20th though.

my current 'l33t' miggy is a 1200 with blizzart PPC / Bvision GFX card 64 megs ram, sci hd/cdr/cd.... completely useless for gaming :lol:

my second rig is a 1200 with blizzart 1230 and 16 meg fast. (and a 6 gig HD). This thing is ideal for gaming: runs just about any whdload-game and even 3D stuff at decent speeds (frontier runs excellent).

my next and ultimate miggy: a CD32 with an SX32, 8 mb fast and a 30 gig HD (should be able to get every game in there). The bad part is i need wb3.5 to get the miggy to recognise the huge HD :)

Sweet A4000s there. Get Samba for the one with the Network card, browsing the Amiga as a network drive from the PC and vice versa is incredibly satisfying in a very nerdy way! :wacko:

The bad part is i need wb3.5 to get the miggy to recognise the huge HD :P

I got my A1200 running WB3 to recognise a 10GB drive without bother. Due to a limitation in the FastFileSystem though, you can only partition it up into chunks of about 4GB max. Not really a bother for you I would expect!

What you do need though is a good HD partitioning tool, HDtoolbox sucks for big drives, it gets partition sizes wrong and generally makes a pig's ear of things. Get hdinsttool from aminet which worked for me.

If you have to partition over 4GB though you need to format it with a different filesystem; there's one called SFS (smartfilesystem) that's supposed to work very well and be much quicker that FFS.

Good luck with your monster CD32. You don't need WB3.5!

Couple of extra things to add to what master yoda has said.

If you want a beefier PSU for your A1200 - use a A500/A500+ one. That should be fine.

Also - be wary on RAM-only expansions. I cant remember exactly, but if it has more than 4mb onboard it will disable the PCMCIA slot. This means obviously you cant connect cd drives and external hard drives. Therefore best to get an accelerator with more memory.

Those Amigas really sound impressive. All I have is an A1200 with a 20MB HD, an A2000 with a 50MB Hard Drive and an A500. But they all play SWOS so I'm happy although I wish the A1200 would also run Ghouls 'n' Ghosts.

I loved my 'migas. My trusty A500 (with 512mb expansion to make it a mighty 1mb machine) was my workhorse for years. Haven't powered it up for a while, but I ought to check it still works!

My A1200 was bought second hand from a mate and has an 8mb expansion plus a 50mhz '030 processor and (get this) a 50MB (that's MEGABYTE) HDD! I was forever running out of room on it! I used to know the system inside out and haven't since been interested in how an OS works, or how to write scripts, etc. I have the fondest memories of the machines and I ought to dust them off one day.

It feels like I've lost my youthfulness now!

Just out of interest, using WinUAE you can pretty much get a proper amiga set up working (ie workbench, hard drive etc) its like a real Amiga except with the option of emulating better gfx cards and having shitloads of memory!

The Amiga is in my opinon one of the least satisfying machines to emulate. you need the click of the disk drive, the satisfying feeling of sliding a 3 1/2 inch floppy in (oo-er) and a chunky zipstick in your hands for the real Amiga gaming experience.

Winuae has always seemed very fiddly to me, and a nightmare to get a lot of stuff running on.

I have used it to check out the latest workbenches and stuff like that though, which are all very nice, but for me the Amiga is all about pre-1993 games.

I've had to stick to Atari ST emulation as I haven't been able to get any of the Mac-based Amiga emus working. Unfortunately, the ST doesn't seem to have versions of loads of the games I intended to play with Amiga emulation - not bothered by the 16-bit games of the 1980s, really.

You really, REALLY should have gone for another one. Then you'd have the best topic title ever "The Three Amigas"*

*apologies if joke has already been done!

I might dust off (literally) my A1200 and zipstick and give SWOS a good playing through. I actually think that emulating the Amiga can be quite satisfying it is just that it takes some time to perfect.

I like the idea (through WinUAE) of creating my own virtual Amiga HD and then installing games and Workbench onto it and things like that. It allows me to experience games that my A2000 just was not built for.

the thing is: winuae almost never runs as smooth as a real amiga + the blocky vga screen is much much worse then playing on a telly.

besides, thanks to whdload getting those old games to run on a real amiga is MUCH easier then winua'll ever be. All you need is a simple 1200 with a hard disk (and maybe some extra mem) and you're sorted.

personally, i don't see any reason to use winuae (except on my laptop so i can have a mobile miggy)

personally, i don't see any reason to use winuae (except on my laptop so i can have a mobile miggy)

space?

I still have my A1200 (4mb extra ram and 1GB drive) but i just dont have the space to set it up, especially as I doubt ill even use it too much. I probably would if my hard drive had not of died because it was full up to the brim with games, music, demos, animations etc.. i nearly cried. (I had loads of stuff that i had made on it too). After it died, i just bought another HD but never got that far besides installing workbench on it.

I coud never get my A1200 to work with WHDLoad. I think it lacked enough memory, it always said I was missing a certain file that was on the final disk of Workbench that I did not have so I never got to install SWOS.

the thing is: winuae almost never runs as smooth as a real amiga + the blocky vga screen is much much worse then playing on a telly.

There a neat graphics filters added to recent WinUAE's. Also, if you have a TV-out on your graphics card then it's a very authentic experience indeed (except that hi-res Amiga screens don't fliker like a stobe). It also means you can Vsync for perfect smoothness as a TV (unlike most monitors) can easily do the 50hz required to emulate PAL amigas.