rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sng

Spaced

I have two tickets to this event at the BFI tomorrow, but I won't be able to make it.  If anyone is in central London and would like them for free please PM me.

Spaced 21st Anniversary

+ Q&A with director Edgar Wright, producer Nira Park and actors Jessica Hynes, Julia Deakin, Katy Carmichael, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Mark Heap (work permitting)

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=4533B540-727C-495F-B848-BFD40A53CA8B&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::context_id=2EFE7F89-9467-40C3-9005-4D3CE179D40A

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Sold out :(

Yeah that's why I'm offering two free tickets :) It is tomorrow though, and 6-7 hours long.

10 hours ago, Nick R said:

Considering this article was publicised as a celebration and reunion old friends, it reads like half of them have fallen out and they the interviewer had to scrape together some tepid quotes.

Can anyone remember why biglime hated Simon Pegg so much? It was long before his film career had taken off.

• Upvote 1

On 12/01/2020 at 00:14, CarloOos said:

Considering this article was publicised as a celebration and reunion old friends, it reads like half of them have fallen out and they the interviewer had to scrape together some tepid quotes.

Can anyone remember why biglime hated Simon Pegg so much? It was long before his film career had taken off.

Hmm. Frost wasn't at the BFI thing either.

On 11/01/2020 at 15:23, Festoon said:

That interview felt.....weird?

Yeah, I imagine they were forced to do it by something contractual and just couldn't be arsed to get engaged in it. Reading between the lines, the journalist was not impressed and let a little of that show in how she wrote it up.

The fact that it’s the best thing they’ve all collectively done must rankle somewhat when reminded of it.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, SozzlyJoe said:

Yeah, I imagine they were forced to do it by something contractual and just couldn't be arsed to get engaged in it. Reading between the lines, the journalist was not impressed and let a little of that show in how she wrote it up.

As a long time Spaced fan, it's a bit hearbreaking reading that. :(

It seems like Nick could not be arsed, Simon was trying to be nice and enthusatic but came across a bit desperate and Jessica was nice but reacted oddly at the Shaun of the Dead mention.

Part of me felt that Spaced was a group of friends making it so they would always remain close. Jessica seemingly pulling away with Shaun (With just a small cameo) felt odd and despite 3 Cornetto films, Edgar didn't come back for the film Paul and now, all of them seem diconnected. That interview, despite starting as a celebration, now just comes across as 4 separate people no longer bound by any friendship.

I feel Nick & Paul must have had a falling out but can't work out why Jessica seemed to jump ship so soon after Spaced. Eitherway. :(

Or maybe, I'm talking out of my arse:

10 minutes ago, ZOK said:

The fact that it’s the best thing they’ve all collectively done must rankle somewhat when reminded of it.

I think Edgar Wright has gone beyond what he achieved with Spaced, and Jess arguably has too, based on her trophy cabinet.

I read an interview with Frost last year where he sounded very post-therapy, so that may explain the blanket "I don't like to talk about the past" statement.

Also Pegg slags off Game On so has gone down a touch in my estimation.

21 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Pegg expanded on the Game On chat not slagging the show but just saying that they didn't feel it represented them at the time and how what was one of the moviations for Spaced. 

Fair enough. I remember me and my best mate (and housemate at uni) watching both Spaced and Game On series 1 well into our 20s - they were both defining shows for reflecting our lives.

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

I could see Edgar Write and Jessica warching some of the episodes and it was fun watching them react.

I loved the DVD commentaries, I must dig them out.

On 13/01/2020 at 13:28, Pob said:

Also Pegg slags off Game On so has gone down a touch in my estimation.

I used to like Game On when it was on. I was a bit younger than the intended audience. It's one of those shows that just disappeared and was never repeated (not that I ever saw it anyway) and years passed. I spotted it somewhere online recently and tried watching it. Terrible. Has aged horribly. So twee and lame. I think what Edgar Wright said about it seems pretty spot on. 

• Upvote 1

I remember thinking Game On series 1 was quite good, but then series two started, and I realised that actually it was just that Ben Chaplin was good.

• Upvote 4

On 11/01/2020 at 14:16, Nick R said:

Hadley Freeman is so laughably transparent. "And then one of them brought up one of the only jokes in the show that has dated badly and could be interpreted as endorsing my shitty TERF-y views and everyone cheered!" Yeahhh, I bet that's what happened.

Edgar Wright was hardly unknown either.

• Upvote 2

I liked that Pegg at least acknowledged there wasn't a female character worth a damn in any of the Cornetto trilogy movies. Daisy was such a great character in Spaced and that seemingly had very little to do with either Pegg or Wright judging by their subsequent work.

• Upvote 3