rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Sng

Spaced

I bought series 1 & 2 the other week. Believe it or not but I had never seen any of it before.

It's good. It's not constant laugh out loud stuff that I was expecting, but it's still all rather funny. Clever too, and cool in a brilliantly geeky way.

The music used is great as well. The use of Fantastic Plastic Machine was great and finishing with The Staunton Lick worked nicely.

No plans for a 3rd series or (gulp) a movie? I don't like the sound of a movie really.

Anyway, anyone else that kinda missed the boat with this should definitely pick up the collector's edition DVD! Well worth it.

Did you get the 3 disc version with the documentary? If you watch that there's a little bit more closure on what could happen next but other than that I don't think there'll be another series/film. I think it's better that they leave it rather than come back and do something that's nowhere near as good as the first two series.

I hadn't seen any of it until a year or so ago either and like you say I don't find it constant laugh out loud funny. But a lot of it is very funny though, in a geeky way, and I also love it for the fact that it seems to remind me (and almost everyone who's seen it) of my own life. Almost everyone will of at some point been to that really rubbish party from episode 2 etc.

Yeah I got the three disc one but haven't checked out the third disc yet. I don't think I'd like to see another series. It finished nicely. I don't think it's something I can tire of watching, like The Office.

Got the three disk box set recently (for my birthday, yay!) and am slowly working through the first series atm. Watched the Resident Evil episode (ep.3) this morning. Aceness.

Got the three disk box set recently (for my birthday, yay!) and am slowly working through the first series atm. Watched the Resident Evil episode (ep.3) this morning. Aceness.

"We're having a post mortem later at the Squid and Mashed Potato. I suppoooose you could tag along...."

Also:

"It's not finished."

"It's finished."

Vulva = best character ever.

There's a great Edgar Wright Q&A on the Speced forums - and his take on series 3 is...........

"I'm torn about a Series 3. On one hand there's definitely more scope to continuing the adventures of Tim & Daisy, but then I do like the way series 2 wraps it all up. The seemingly endless talk of maybe/maybe not doing specials is not a bullshit way of keeping fans sitting on the edge of their sofas. We have genuinely talked about it and have some neat ideas that could work in a Before Sunset / Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads kind of way. If we're talking about the former - expect to see the special in 2009!

The other irony to the whole series 3 business is that there's no actual guarantee that C4 would actually commission a 3rd series or specials. Let us not forget that C4 still haven't repeated the second series."

No plans for a 3rd series or (gulp) a movie? I don't like the sound of a movie really.

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead? It's probably about as close to a Spaced movie as you're gonna get. And it's really good.

Shaun of the Dead's a wicked film, but it's missing Jessica Stephenson's input- Spaced was great in that all the characters were given ample breathing space. SOTD suffers in that its female characters aren't great- Shaun's girlfriend's only real character traits are telling Shaun off and being in a huff. She's the typical 'girlfriend' character in a comedy, whereas Daisy was a brilliant character.

A Spaced film would be ace, but unlikely to happen I would say.

• Upvote 1

I dont know how a spaced film would work, nothing really happens, same way as friends could never be a film.

The humour is brilliant, its so dry and often hidden that repeated viewing is needed. I watched series 2 first and even posted here that while i enjoyed it, i wont buy it as i couldnt see myself ever watching it again.

I downloaded the first series and still thought the same but for some reason i kept on going back to watch it, so i bought it and i love it. It is a show that really grows on. Its probably because it doesnt throw things at you that you dont think its so great to start off with, but the more you think about it, the more you realise it is great.

Check out the commentaries too, great fun!

Also shawn of the dead is the closest you'll get to a film version, the characters are pretty much the same as in spaced and theres a lot of nods and winks to spaced in many of its scenes. A great film and i cant wait for the follow up which is rumoured to be From Shawn till Dead.

Have you seen Shaun of the Dead? It's probably about as close to a Spaced movie as you're gonna get. And it's really good.

Yeah I love it.

A great film and i cant wait for the follow up which is rumoured to be From Shawn till Dead.

You're thinking of From Dusk Till Shawn, which Pegg has since admitted was a piss take. No plans for a sequel.

Pegg and Frost may possibly be doing a BBC sitcom called La Triviata about a pub quiz team, but this may be in limbo. The next Pegg/Wright/Frost film project is going to be an English take on a US style buddy cop movie apparently.

Look out for a cameo from Pegg and Wright in Romero's new flick, Land Of The Dead. He cast them after enjoying Shaun so much.

"We're having a post mortem later at the Squid and Mashed Potato. I suppoooose you could tag along...."

Also:

"It's not finished."

"It's finished."

Vulva = best character ever.

Best episode ever as well.

I really liked Spaced but I don't find it as funny watching it now I must admit. And I think the second series isn't a patch on the first.

[Tim guesses he may move back in with Sarah]

Daisy Steiner: What do you mean you have a funny feeling?

Tim: I can read her like a book

Daisy Steiner: Never judge a book by it's cover

Tim: He who dares wins

Daisy Steiner: Look before you leap

Tim: Do YOU believe in life after love?

Daisy Steiner: That's a song

Tim: Shit.

[On Daisy's party decorations]

Brian: I see at as a tribute to Christo, the artist.

Tim: I see it as a waste of Baco, the foil.

Like soong, I slept on this until my housemate got the box set and I absolutely loved it straight away. I find that although I hardly ever laugh out loud, I love every minute of it (it has a very 'warm' feeling to it.) I absolutely LOVE Marsha's voice and whenever I go to talk to my housemate who lives on the floor below I do the old 'only me, the weirdo from upstairs' thing.

and the clubbing episode!! totally uplifting.

Tim: You've got some paint on you.

Brian: It's a literal tribute to the self-reflexivity of Rembrandt.

Tim: Did he like it then?

Brian: He's dead.

Tim: Bloody hell, that backfired.

Yeah the clubbing episode is probably my favourite. Or the other one with Tyres where at the end he's hitting the pedestrian crossing button for the beep-beep-beep to dance to. That's the one where he has to break into that guys office to grab that sketch before he sees it.

They're all great. I liked the second series just as much as the first.

Daisy Steiner: Do you rent downstairs?

Brian: You mean am I gay?

Daisy Steiner: WHAT?

Brian: You mean am I gay?

Daisy Steiner: No, I meant "Do you rent the downstairs flat?"

Brian: Oh. Yep, sort of.

Tim: Are you gay?

Brian: Hmm?

Tim: Are you gay?

Brian: No.

Daisy: Colin's gone.

Tim: What?

Daisy: He went next door.

Tim: Oh, Daisy. I'm sorry. How did that happen?

Daisy: He walked.

Tim: Right, right. Sorry. My mum used to use "going next door" as a euphemism for being dead.

Mike: Whoa. Does that mean my rabbit's dead?

Tim: It's been 18 years Mike, where did you think he was?

Mike: [sobbing] Next door!

Spaced is great. It's the little things I love, the pauses and the way the characters look at each other.

Also, theres a bit where Brian goes to knock at the door, only Mike opens it exactly so Brian's hand is in a fist in the air, Mike just salutes him back with a fist in the air. That bit always creases me up.

I think I'm gonna watch series 1 again tonight. I sat through it non-stop about 2 weeks ago, finishing around 6am.

Did you see the alternate ending to the last episode? It's on the series 2 disc (Daisy's speech). Quite nice I thought. But then I like the ending they went with too. Oh, confusion!

Nope, not caught any bonus material yet. I think I'll actually watch that tonight instead of series 1 again.

Sophie: It was nice to see you Tim

Tim: Well, you're nice too...nice to see you too.

The way he pulls a face and turns away cracks me up :D

Brian: I see it as a tribute to Christo, the artist.

Tim: I see it as a waste of baco, the foil.

Too many good bits to mention. The funniest bit of the whole thing, for me, is the way Simon Pegg says "It's too orangey for crows" in the outtakes- the way he says the word "crows" then wets himself laughing is side-splitting in its ridiculousness.

A little gag that always makes me chuckle, and one that I always do in real life, is when Marsha is heard opening the bottle of champagne in her flat.

Pop! Fizz....

"Raaaaaay...."

It's the most feeble, desperate, alcoholic "hooray" ever heard.

A little gag that always makes me chuckle, and one that I always do in real life, is when Marsha is heard opening the bottle of champagne in her flat.

Pop! Fizz....

"Raaaaaay...."

It's the most feeble, desperate, alcoholic "hooray" ever heard.

So much love for this show, where's the first negative post. Is Biglime still banned as he could star the Pegg hate :(

In fact I think I may have to watch Spaced again thanks to this thread :D

The whole Mike running around the tree scene kills me everytime.