IGNORED

Gamestation Generous

dumpster

I went car booting on Sunday - got hold of a load of stuff, nothing really fantastic or Uber Rare so I thought, A Snes, a Master System, and some games for each. Total Spend was £8, but that included a big cumberland sausage in a bun. Chatting to my mate BillBaileysBeard who works at Gamestation (used to work with me at Game) conversation turned to when I left Game, and had to return all the consoles I had (they are on loan whilt you work there, and when you leave you have to give them back). I bought a Gamecube and an Xbox on my last day, and didn't bother with PS2 because there was not much I played on it. I was quite tempted to get a PS2 again for Gradius 5, and BillBailey (Steve) mentioned that it was in the sale at £14.99, and R-type Final was £3.99 in the sale. I decided to trade in all the stuff from the car boot sale, and pay the difference, and get a PS2 again.

When I got home that evening, I got all the stuff I was to trade in, and tested it. The consoles themselves did not work. So today, I wandered into Gamestation, with a load of absolute TAT, nothing of any interest to trade in, the only things worth having were Halo2 and Metal Gear Twin Snakes. All the rest was crap I had lying around, and I knew that this was getting a bit silly. I'd started off with the idea of getting a PS2 and not spending any money, and now, all I had to trade was rubbish! The only reason to get a PS2 was to do the trade in, and now, all the stuff of any value to trade was in my bin at home!

Last time I was in Gamestation, I took a load of stuff I thought was rubbish, and Halo2 to trade in for Paper Mario. I came away with Paper Mario and Halo2 still in my pocket, because the rubbish fetched enough on its own - and today it happened again!

All the stuff I had left (10 master system games unboxed, some Megadrive cartridges without boxes, a Tomy Caveman game, and the 2 games above came to £87 trade, enough for the PS2, Rtype and Gradius. And this evening, I have just spent all evening shooting things, and thinking that Gradius is now my favourite franchise ever.

So the moral of the story is go to Gamestation. There.

I've been thinking about selling my N64 collection of about 30 titles plus the console and little bits and bobs like the transfur pak and so on.

Once the Revolution comes along and offers all the past console gaming at low prices ( hopefully ) and free, I'd predict the retro section, for Nintendo at least, the value would go down.

On the flipside the chances of Revolution allowing me to play Mischief Makers, New Tetris, RARE's games and some other quality 3rd party stuff ( Wetrix ) might be slim.

It's a risk. Hrm hrm...

-----

NEG

-----

Once the Revolution comes along and offers all the past console gaming at low prices ( hopefully ) and free, I'd predict the retro section, for Nintendo at least, the value would go down.

On the flipside the chances of Revolution allowing me to play Mischief Makers, New Tetris, RARE's games and some other quality 3rd party stuff ( Wetrix ) might be slim.

It's a risk. Hrm hrm...

-----

NEG

-----

Id keep them personally. Whilst the download service might decrease the value of your games ABIT nothing is better than actually having the cartridge and box in your own hands. People have been downloading and playing roms on emulators for years, and i dont really think thats decreased the value in these retro games.

We've been trying that in the retro folder but prices change so quickly and often at GS its hard to keep up.

Then add dates to recent updates. It's virtually impossible to have it up-to-date without a bit of corporate espionage, but it would at least be a useful guideline if everyone did it.

I'll check out Retro though. I'm also wondering if CEX have fixed their website - a couple weeks ago it just didn't show the prices of any trade-ins. I'm at work so can someone check for me? Cheers.

Id keep them personally. Whilst the download service might decrease the value of your games ABIT nothing is better than actually having the cartridge and box in your own hands. People have been downloading and playing roms on emulators for years, and i dont really think thats decreased the value in these retro games.

But you forget the number of actual people using emulators are small, the how should I say it, geek community only. Of course it still does effect the industry. But when Nintendo does it officially, on a large scale and so on, things will be different.

Also, I used to think I could never give my Mega Drive and games away. But when I did ( to gamestation too ) not only did I get a DS and nearly 5 games free, I felt happy for giving away old tat that would have stopped working give it a few more years. Not to mention all the Sonic's are in a collection anyway. I just miss the 2 sparkster games, Wiz N Liz, Streets Of Rage etc etc. But they will appear on modern consoles/handhelds eventually.

I'm also wondering if CEX have fixed their website - a couple weeks ago it just didn't show the prices of any trade-ins. I'm at work so can someone check for me? Cheers.

The list of games is there but the accompanying prices are nowhere to be seen!

How much will GS give me for Destroy All Humans (Xbox version)? The sooner that abomination of a game is off my shelf and out of my life the better.

There's only one way to find out, unfortunately.

Have a wank. What did you think?

I hate the miserable bastards who work in my local Gamestation but I always get good prices on my trade in's and they have some great bargains every so often, the recent 4 preowned games for 20 quid and 2 gamecube games for 20 quid offers spring to mind.

I'm thinking we should try starting a sticky in Bargains, or soemwhere, with a list of Gamestation trade-in prices.

I'd be pretty interested in finding out what all my stuff's worth, to say the least.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showt...=88732&hl=trade

I have tried this but it is failing for many reasons.

Firstly GS trade in prices vary wildly from store to store: One store are selling all of their md stock for £2, snes for £3 so hence is giving £1 or less for anything (i mean anything, secret of mana for example). Another store has got SoM for £80 in the window.

Secondly, I don't have time to update the list.

At the end of the day GS should publish a list of their trade in prices so that we can all know what we're gonna get before we lug all our stuff in there. I would certainly give GS a lot more of my business if I knew what they were going to give before I take it in.

I've taken master systems to them before and been told that they're not taking them at the moment. Gone to another in a nearby town and been given £18.

The one near me is very dodgy, b'stards. However, after driving 30 miles to dump all the stuff I didn't want there...I wasn't in a position to complain.

Some of my stuff I could see them whispering about at the back, clearly they'd taken a fancy to something. His voice was also a little shaky when he announced some of the prices. Hey-ho.

I took my copy of Destroy All Humans to GS today and they gave me £23 in trade value for it. Seemed more than reasonable to me: a world away from the days when you'd pay £60 for a new N64 game and GAME would offer you £15 a month later. GS don't even twat all over the their preowned games with black marker.

At the end of the day GS should publish a list of their trade in prices so that we can all know what we're gonna get before we lug all our stuff in there. I would certainly give GS a lot more of my business if I knew what they were going to give before I take it in.

trade prices change every day. theyre all fucked up anyway so they get constantly changed. they (we i guess) dont sell imports but we'l still buy peoples US chrono trigger for a fortune. we pay 100 quid trade for steel battalion for it to rot in a window priced at 180. thats 180 for the tatty box, manky joystick and probably scratched disc.

the rules are:

unboxed game = fuck all

console with no leads or back bit missing = wont take it

boxed snes games = kings ransom

boxed md, n64, ms games = fck all

most retro consoles = you get more store credit than you pay in any other damn shop for the entire thing. then it sits in the window while people laugh at the concept of paying 20 quid for a brown megadrive

gamestation are just constantly upping their ante in the high street trade war. you pay 29.99 for a new release but yet you get 23 quid back for it a month later in a lot of cases (see: fifa street). theyre burning money and investigating it constantly.....but they never act on advice from their staff. they just say 'shut up, we have highly paid analysts working from margins at head office'. this is why the poor shop staff have to lower and raise 2nd hand prices by single fucking pound increments every day.

brilliantly you're supposed to ask customers politely to leave the shop, remove the seal on the game and return to the counter. never heard a good reason why yet.....never done it myself yet. but the people i work with seem to treat company policy as gospel, and they ask disbelieving customers to leave. and no you cant unseal it at the counter it must be off the premises....why that would be crazy!

id override prices to get a sealed / signed plok, especially if you added a mouth organ signed by tim and geoff :(

brilliantly you're supposed to ask customers politely to leave the shop, remove the seal on the game and return to the counter.  never heard a good reason why yet.....never done it myself yet. but the people i work with seem to treat company policy as gospel, and they ask disbelieving customers to leave. and no you cant unseal it at the counter it must be off the premises....why that would be crazy!

id override prices to get a sealed / signed plok, especially if you added a mouth organ signed by tim and geoff :(

I don't understand the sealed thing either. Other stores seem to take sealed games no problem. I think I'm going to stop shopping at the Hereford store. They seem far too tuned in to the retro scam. I only got £6 each trade for a ps1 and N64 last week. They still have most of my traded in consoles on display from last year.