Dog Soldiers

CarloOos

An all round nasty bastard basically.

Sean Pertwee is probably my favorite British actor, for this film alone. Not that he hasn't done loads of other good stuff, that is.

The scene where he's pissed in the bed as they glue him together is hilarious.

Spoon definitely has the best lines in this.

When they are wondering about a decoy...

Cooper: "We need something quick and loud."

(all look at Spoon)

Spoon: "What?" ... "Sorry, what?"

and when he is being chased back into the bedroom...

Megan: "Move your fucking arse!"

(upon getting back into the room)

Spoon: "I love it when a posh bird talks dirty!"

Cracking!

CJ

They say on the commentary they had a shot of Spoon getting ripped in half but they took it out because everyone liked him so much.

Speaking of which everyone should get the DVD, the cast commentary is the funniest commentary I've ever heard. It's brilliant, they're all blatantly getting pissed while they do it too.

I love the bit where the guy's hammering the door shut, and the werewolf sticks its hand in. The speed he hits it at always cracks me up.

That sword-teeth bit makes me cringe every time.

Elevated hand slap!

I loved it. An absence of useless and gratuitous tits (why most horror directors/fans insist on having this is beyond me), a great script that keeps the energy up, and performances that keep you interested throughout all made it a supremely enjoyable film for me (this being my first time watching it).

And I second the mention of the sword-teeth bit. Top class, and excruciating.

Great film. Everything a horror film should be; Funny, Gorey, Simple and ever so slightly Cheesy. Fantabulous.

I like my horror stone-cold and bereft of comedy*. As soon as humour creeps in it loses its poignancy. Besides the poor FX this is where Dog Soldiers (along with countless other movies) fell on its face. Occasionally, rarely and if handled with precision the two genres can combine and make a credible integration**

*see Halloween

**An American Werewolf In London

I like my horror stone-cold and bereft of comedy*. As soon as humour creeps in it loses its poignancy. Besides the poor FX this is where Dog Soldiers (along with countless other movies) fell on its face. Occasionally, rarely and if handled with precision the two genres can combine and make a credible integration**

*see Halloween

**An American Werewolf In London

But the humour comes from the dialogue between the characters - it's not just comedy for the sake of it. A bit of black humour to lighten a grim situation is only natural - especially considering they're soldiers...

The FX weren't THAT poor though - as mentioned it would have looked MUCH worse in CG AND it meant the characters could actually hit the things instead of swinging at empty space.

Besides, the budget was absolutely piffling compared to any major studio film so it's understandable. It looks better than a lot of US horror films on much less money.