Arsenal

cubeadvance

It really is the same old problems

• Our defence don't know how to defend, worse still, they panic and flap far too much, leaving the keeper exposed far too often
  • We lack actual proper penetration, its okay having 60% possession, but when 40% of that is Walcott and Sagna (for example) exchanging passes near the corner flag, thats not really doing anything
  • Our formation leaves us too exposed and our defensive line is, in my opinion, far too high, we'd be better with having a central pair in midfield and return to a pairing like Vieira and Petit/ Vieira and Gilberto/ Flamini and Fabregas. This current system was designed to "accommodate" Fabregas and provide him with a much more creative role, I like Arteta, but he's not Fabregas and expecting that of him is far too unfair.
  • van Persie isn't a lone striker, I know I know our two wide players are "Wide Forwards" but they don't really play like that when it comes to the crunch, they try to play like wingers except the way we play doesn't get us men in the box for them to feed so it just results in yet another blunt attack.
  • Injuries, we're beginning to see signs of having players of near equal ability in some positions that allow us to change things around, in theory we have Vermaelen, Metersacker, Koscielny and Djourou at Centre Back which isn't a bad bunch of players, but 2 of those are injured (one indefinetely it seems) and one appears to have lost every bit of talent he displayed at the beginning of last season. Left back I'd say Gibbs and Santos are very similar, with Santos having more experience obviously. Midfield, Frimpong and Coquelin are proviing they can give Song a kick up the arse, hopefully we see Chamberlain and Miyaichi develop and give Walcott and Arshavin something to think about whilst we are also trying to accomodate Arteta, Benayoun, Rosicky, Wilshere (when he's back) and Ramsey. If we played a proper formation the strikers wouldn't be too much of an issue, Chamakh has shown himself to be willing to work hard... when he gets to play which is a sign he's getting his confidence back, hopefully his form follows, RvP is a no brainer if he's played in a position that he can both feed others from and take advantage of himself but we've seen nothing from Park yet...
    The problem then is, keeping them fit and away from the medical team as that appears to be when our troubles really occure.

I've actually become worried about the team, because on paper its not all that bad, I don't think it is anyway, but something, somewhere is going disastrously wrong and its time that Wenger, his coaching staff and the board sit down and try and tackle the issue because when the players are making the same mistakes time and again, then its less about their ability than it is about their coaching and the mentality of the club.

Jenkinson just looks terrible.

I'd like to think Wenger signed a League One player that was an unpolished diamond with massive potential, but Jenkinson just looks like a really terrible footballer.

I'm sorry but I have to call bullshit on this. Absolute over reaction to a kid who has been thrown in to a team that is fucked. I can't even recall any reason for the hate based on yesterday's cameo. A really terrible footballer? Really? I think that's just mental but I guess it's subjective to at least some degree. I just can't see how anyone could make such calls based on so few performances in a team that has SO many problems.

I realise he's been thrown into a shit team, but he looks completely out of his depth. I know he's got stacks of time on his hands to turn into a great player, but playing someone who's clearly not good enough right now is madness on Wenger's part.

It shows how shallow our squad is when we are relying on players like him to do a job. It also shows the difference between the likes of Man United & us. They go out and sign someone like Jones for mega bucks who already looks like a world beater and we sign someone from League One who looks like a League One player. I don't intend to be harsh on the kid, but he's blatantly out of his depth and it's wrong of Wenger to play him. I can understand playing him in the League Cup as that competition isn't high on the list of priorities, but risking him in the league & Europe is daft. But the weakness of our squad means Wenger is having to use him.

I don't know what the answer is to the right back problem. Selling our utility player Eboue is looking like a fucking stupid decision right now as he could have easily done a job there.

It shows how shallow our squad is

I think that's the crux of it. It's not a happy time with the silly amount of injuries we have at the back. I also feel that yesterday was all about how slow and static our midfield is. For all the stick Ramsey got yesterday I don't think Arteta did much better. There's no pace there - no one who can beat a man. Something, when he's on form, Diaby can do. That kind of action was what we needed yesterday.

Ah...interlul up next. I'll take the break to be honest. I'm starting to hate talking about this team because it just depresses me and I'd like to think I'm one of the more upbeat and delusional types in here!

I realise he's been thrown into a shit team, but he looks completely out of his depth. I know he's got stacks of time on his hands to turn into a great player, but playing someone who's clearly not good enough right now is madness on Wenger's part.

It shows how shallow our squad is when we are relying on players like him to do a job. It also shows the difference between the likes of Man United & us. They go out and sign someone like Jones for mega bucks who already looks like a world beater and we sign someone from League One who looks like a League One player. I don't intend to be harsh on the kid, but he's blatantly out of his depth and it's wrong of Wenger to play him. I can understand playing him in the League Cup as that competition isn't high on the list of priorities, but risking him in the league & Europe is daft. But the weakness of our squad means Wenger is having to use him.

I don't know what the answer is to the right back problem. Selling our utility player Eboue is looking like a fucking stupid decision right now as he could have easily done a job there.

If you're going to judge a right back based purely on how they did against Bale in the last twenty minutes of a match then at least Jenkinson is better than Maicon.

I realise he's been thrown into a shit team, but he looks completely out of his depth.

That's because he is, but that's not because he's shit, it's just because he's not ready. It'd be like trying to play a 16-year-old from the youth team against Bale, you can't write off his entire career based on that and some games he simply shouldn't be playing in.

Anyway, who's looking forward to next summer?

I think Jenkinson has some promise. Considering he was playing for Eastbourne not long ago he's done remarkably well. I think he shows genuine courage and heart. As has been said he shouldn't really be in this position but I'm not sure I'll blame Wenger too much. Sagna and Jenkinson as back up sounds good to me. Eboue would fill in nicely but we can't go there, I think we sold him cos he wasn't really adding any value and it's unfortunate that we suddenly find ourselves needing him.

The injury list grows and grows. No-one is to blame for Sagna, shit happens. I am still massively concerned about the medical side of things though. And I'm not really convinced about our general fitness either, but I might be wrong on that one. Ramsey looks knackered at times, I know he's had a bad injury but still. We've got no spark whatsoever, the team lacks energy in my opinion.

On the positive side, I think Arteta looks good if a little slow. Gibbs has impressed me, I think he's definitely improved and I also like the new left back. Mertesacker has improved with each game. Not great, yet, but I don't think our philosophy and style particularly suits him. He's a career defender and I think he needs to be put to good use just reading the game, getting in the way and using his height. Our poor defensive unit is so fragile and unpredictable that his shortcomings are magnified. Him and Vermaelen is obviously the ideal pairing and I'll be pleased when we get to see them both starting.

I wonder if Wenger put off some major moves til January. I'd like to think that we could make two very, very good signings.

Always, I really like Martin Keown.

Clive Allen is clearly a half wit, he's well and truly embarrassed himself on this one.

As far as media sniping goes there probably hasn't been a worse quote than "he's two bob he is, two bob" in the history of the universe.

Always, I really like Martin Keown.

Was chatting to a spark at work the other day who's worked for Arsenal for the last 15 years - did a lot of the work on the elaborate lighting rig Arsenal pioneered for the turf. Anyway, he couldn't have gushed any more about what a nice a chap Keown is, both as a player and a coach. I had to ask who the worst chap he came across was - 'David Seaman, without a shadow of a doubt' was his immediate answer.

Was chatting to a spark at work the other day who's worked for Arsenal for the last 15 years - did a lot of the work on the elaborate lighting rig Arsenal pioneered for the turf. Anyway, he couldn't have gushed any more about what a nice a chap Keown is, both as a player and a coach.

Nice. It seems incredible that players like him are not at the Club in some capacity, I find it quite depressing actually. I'm not saying get them all in for the sake of it but it wouldn't hurt to get some experience and know how back into the Club. I get the impression that it would be over Wenger's dead body.

Nice. It seems incredible that players like him are not at the Club in some capacity, I find it quite depressing actually. I'm not saying get them all in for the sake of it but it wouldn't hurt to get some experience and know how back into the Club. I get the impression that it would be over Wenger's dead body.

Wenger hates anyone telling him what to do. There's a great story about this Italian restaurant he used to frequent near his home. One day the owner welcomes him in and decides to have a chat about football. He offers his advice about selecting this or that player. Wenger never went there again.

The gist of that seems to be that we're in steady financial shape but wouldn't actually be making any money if we didn't sell loads of players or ruthlessly extract cash from our fans through ticket prices. Financial fairplay won't be the white knight we hoped and Wenger knows it. Also, the more you read the more you realise that how the club is run has little benefit to the fans who pay top whack and will never see great players sign. It's pretty shitty when you think about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15235618.stm

Pearce tries to play Welbeck in the U21s and Ferguson says "nay, lad." Pearce replies with "okay sir sorry to bother you sir won't happen again sir."

Wenger tries to stop him playing Wilshere and the argument drags on for fucking months, and requires the kid to physically die before Pearce accepts that he won't be playing.

Ridiculous.

I watched the Sao Paulo game last week and he was shocking. Shame for him as SP are actually pretty damn good at the moment so its a good opprtunity for him to move his career on a bit, but he's got Casemiro playing more or less the same role as him there and he's a little bit special, so these red cards are pretty much screwing any chance he had of establishing himself there. Oh, and Rivaldo (yes, that Rivaldo) is still ace.