Arsenal

cubeadvance

Facepalm ahoy.

You would think that if the paper went to the effort of copying and pasting the thing about the VAT rise they would also look at the cheapest price for a ticket, which is what, £25? Isn't our average seat £38 or something? I usually pay no more than £40 at home. If there are any going.

So the suggestion that the cheapest ticket will be £100 is utter bollocks. (Though the really decent seats will be £100+ with the VAT increase.)

A £100 ticket would make watching Arsenal 11 times more expensive than following Bundesliga side Borussia Dortmund. The German team charge just £9 for their cheapest seat.

shit journalism is shit, comparing apples and oranges, ffs!

[edit]

Dammit, you have to register to submit comments on the DM website now! I wanted to post

How much is the most expensive seat at Borussia Dortmunds ground?

You can't compare "the most expensive non-hospitality seats in the history of English football" with the cheapest seat at a team in the Bundeslige.

Bad journalism, bad!

but can't now!

Edited by SeanR

Facepalm ahoy.

You would think that if the paper went to the effort of copying and pasting the thing about the VAT rise they would also look at the cheapest price for a ticket, which is what, £25? Isn't our average seat £38 or something? I usually pay no more than £40 at home. If there are any going.

So the suggestion that the cheapest ticket will be £100 is utter bollocks. (Though the really decent seats will be £100+ with the VAT increase.)

I do remember seeing Tier A (big four plus "derbies") games having seats at or near £90, mind that was as a red member...

While we're pointing out that apples are different to organges, it should probably also be mentioned that Dortmund's stadium holds more than 20,000 people more than the Emirates does. That's a whole stand. Assuming both sell-out and Arsenal charge so much more, they might not get more income from gates.

Also, iirc, travelling fans are a bit rarer in Germany (largely as they have to travel further), so there will tend to be more seats available to home fans, again reducing the price.

Even by Daily Mail standards, it is a shit article.

I do remember seeing Tier A (big four plus "derbies") games having seats at or near £90, mind that was as a red member...

Yeah, that was my point; there may well be £100 tickets, but only in exceptional circumstances. The suggestion that they were the cheapest tickets is utter shit.

Was out in Dublin to watch the All Blacks play and strolled past a coffee house to see the Arse 2-0 up. Yes!

Next scene: Getting back to the hotel a while later for a pre-game drink and maybe catch the end of the football. I am greeted upon entry the site of a tottenham fan leaping up and down and hollering. I'm thinking what the fuck has he got to be happy about? A consolation goal?

Cue: my slow motion turn towards the screen, :facepalm: at the scoreline.

Still, we're still only two points off the lead. The manner of defeat is galling but it's still two points and everyone is dropping points this year. I just want Wenger to stop buying bargains and start buying stars.

Was out in Dublin to watch the All Blacks play and strolled past a coffee house to see the Arse 2-0 up. Yes!

Next scene: Getting back to the hotel a while later for a pre-game drink and maybe catch the end of the football. I am greeted upon entry the site of a tottenham fan leaping up and down and hollering. I'm thinking what the fuck has he got to be happy about? A consolation goal?

Cue: my slow motion turn towards the screen, :facepalm: at the scoreline.

Still, we're still only two points off the lead. The manner of defeat is galling but it's still two points and everyone is dropping points this year. I just want Wenger to stop buying bargains and start buying stars.

I don't even think it needs to be "stars" I think just one single marquee signing is enough to get really, really close to winning the league.

Although that theory does sort of dismiss the fact he'd spend 92% of the time injured, whoever it was.

I don't even think it needs to be "stars" I think just one single marquee signing is enough to get really, really close to winning the league.

Although that theory does sort of dismiss the fact he'd spend 92% of the time injured, whoever it was.

I think we should just invest our money and buy a motivational speaker. Like Tony Robbins or that sergeant from Full Metal Jacket to motivate our lot when we're 2-0 up.

Just heard about this analogy from Jacob Steinberg on the Guardian's website:

For 45 minutes a swaggering Arsenal had held a gun to the back of their rivals' head. Tottenham winced, waiting for the trigger to be pulled to end it all, but it never happened. It rarely does. Like a James Bond villain, they got complacent, bored even, spending too much time telling their victim what they were going to do rather than actually doing it.

Nails it.

I'm less angry than I was on Saturday, partly because in the cold light of the day, we're only 2 points behind Chelsea and Man Utd. Still hurting though.

Just heard about this analogy from Jacob Steinberg on the Guardian's website:

Nails it.

Yeah, it does. Week after week. Is Wenger not telling them this every single day? If he is and they're not getting the message then he needs to move them on. If he's not telling them, then everyone is to blame and the whole set up is fundamentally flawed. I think he possibly needs a new number two, a different perspective and new ways of motivating the team. A slight change in the way messages are delivered could be beneficial without watering down Wenger's philosophy. There's a watershed moment waiting to happen and transform the team into winners but I think things are a bit stale just now.

It might be an idea to get a new number 2 because there isn't much else that needs changing too drastically.

We could do with a proper keeper, maybe a striker & maybe a centre back who will give everyone a kick up the backside every now and again. Maybe TV is that already that. Like I said I don't think there's that much wrong or anything that needs to be drastically changed.

Back to the number 2.

If AW will allow it, we need someone who can/will play the role of the bad cop. Someone who can and is willing to stand up to AW when needed, but more importantly someone who can give these pampered millionaire superstars that are lucky enough to wear the Arsenal shirt a bollocking and a big kick up the arse every now and again. (Like after the game on Saturday).

Someone who they'll have to answer to, as it seems they have it a bit too cushy with AW.

Obviously I don't know what goes on behind closed doors but I can't quite see AW ripping into the players too often. They seem too protected to me, like he doesn't want to upset them or something.

We need a number 2 that will ask a player after a shit performance what the fuck he was doing out there, someone who'll tell a player that he played like a cunt, someone who'll tell a player that if he doesn't start performing he'll be on the bench very soon.

Not quite sure who, maybe a Martin Keown or a Steve Bould.

Maybe Tony Adams but he seems to have mellowed a lot since his playing/drinking days.

He's obviously a hero, but Tony Adams needs to be kept a thousand miles away from the Arsenal squad. His management style is apparently like a guidance counciller with all that philosophical mumbo jumbo 12 steps nonsense. Steve Bould or Martin Keown would be a better fit, but Bould already has an important role at the club and Keown has been and gone for whatever reason.

From what I've read Pat Rice is supposed to let fly at the team when needed so I'm not sure that's the problem. The issue is that we surgically dismantled an amazing team and are left with a squad of players who have no experience of winning anything.

From what I've read Pat Rice is supposed to let fly at the team when needed so I'm not sure that's the problem.

He's the go between, as far as I can see. The one who the players can moan at behind Wengers back, take the piss out of, offer an ear and possibly have a reassuring listen in return. I can't imagine him coming across with any authority whatsoever. I might be wrong.

The issue is that we surgically dismantled an amazing team and are left with a squad of players who have no experience of winning anything.

Prior to the Spurs game, they showed a clip where I think Pires scored. Bergkamp was next on the scene celebrating, followed by Vieira, Lauren et al. All the players who joined in on that celebration were proven winners and I've said it many times before but Wenger prematurely took away the possibility of a transitional period by getting rid of certain players at the same time as Bergkamp retired and Henry needed to go. Ferguson got it right at United. We got it wrong. Giggs, Scholes and Neville are worth so much more than putting in a decent shift on the pitch once or twice a week. No-one was left at the Arsenal to pass on what it meant to play for the shirt and the winning mentality and that's what we've missed IMO.