IGNORED

Arsenal

cubeadvance

Viera had to go really.

He's 29, and needed a move for a nice signing on fee. Plus he's going to be earning a mint. PLUS he gets to live in Italy. Not alf bad, guvnor.

Good luck paddy!

Can't see Jenas going, even if Fat Fred is pimping him for a ridiculously high fee. He's good but no-one knows if he's gonna be *that* good yet.

Theres a load of specualtion about it cos he's not in the squad for our intertoto opener (i.e. avoiding being cup-tied) but you don't get cup-tied in the intertoto unless you're in the semi final or final apparently.

I'm not particularly bothered about Vieira going, to be honest. I think the time is probably right. What I'm more bothered about is losing a £20 bet to Brant on Vieira lining up for us at the start of the season. :rolleyes:

Seems we'll be back in for Baptista. Opinion suggests he might be a replacement for Pat but I thought he was a striker. Anyone know much about him?

This Jenas Inter Two Bob development is interesting. I assume if he played he'd be cup tied for the CL in the event of a move. I'm not a big fan personally but Arsene knows and ManYoo were/are interested too apparently.

The press were saying he was a forward but according to the teletext last night he is an attacking midfielder and the confusion is because of his scoring record.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=36272

However, he may not be the best person to replace PV with and crucially:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nal/4655995.stm

There is also the case of his Spanish passport, which I believe he will get in December if he stays in Spain.

Edit:

Arsenal could be prepared to renew their interest in Sevilla's Brazilian striker Julio Baptista.

The Spanish club turned down an offer of 12 million euros (£8.23m) for the 23-year-old from the Gunners after vice-chairman David Dein met Sevilla executives in Andalusia last month.

The Sao Paulo-born player, who joined Sevilla in 2003, hit 20 league goals in 30 Primera Liga appearances last season and would be eligible for Spanish citizenship if he spends one more year in Spain - his contract expires in 2006.

The arrival of striker Salva Ballesta in Sevilla today could see the club reconsider their decision to hold on to Baptista if Arsenal, cash-rich from the the sale of Patrick Vieira to Juventus, make a further bid for a player who started out as a central midfielder before becoming a striker.

Sevilla president Jose Maria del Nido said earlier this week: "His (Baptista's) agents are continuously sending us messages saying he does not want to renew his contract and that he is not happy.

"If he leaves the club it is because of him and not because we want to put him on the transfer market. We have not received any different offers to what we had last weekend - there are several English clubs interested.

"Sevilla will still try to extend the player's contract but if he does not want to then we will listen to offers.

"I hope no-one forces Sevilla to accept a bad offer just because it is convenient to the player. I think the Baptista situation is very clear. I can't add anything except I don't know any footballer who wants to leave a club and then has not left."

If we'd have lost him this time last year, I would have been gutted but after his attempt to join Real failed, he was average at best in most games and also plagued with injury. In all honesty, it's a good deal for us - we still have Flamini and Fabregas coming along nicely and Gilberto showed his detractors exactly what the team missed when he was out with his back problem all that time. If we can just get someone else in for depth of cover (not frickin' Jermaine Jenas, Jesus H. Christ on a bike he's barely worth £5m let alone £20m) then we should be fine.

Scott Parker would have been nice but there was never any chance of that happening, sadly...

Is it true Pires is staying after all?

Baptista used to be a central midfielder but is now a striker - presumably that explains the confusion.

I have to say I think you'd be mad to spunk the Viera cash on a striker, as you really need to replace him. Diarra sounds like a good option, though I suspect this whole thing may have arisen from SWP saying off the record that he wants to go to Arsenal, and selling Viera was the only way to free up enough cash.

Probably talking bollocks, though.

A bit OT but it's funny reading that Football365 article and comparing essentially the same articles from the broadsheets and the tabloids and how the tabloids have to sensationalise EVERYTHING. For example the Mirror suggesting Viera left "in tears". Yeah right.

I'm shocked.

Reyes was terrible last season!

He was excellent at the beginning and end of last season, showing his true potential. He suffered from a sever lack of confidence during the winter months (when the whole team wasn't exactly having a great spell) but is well worth hanging on to. Some of his finishing is spectacular, seeing him and Rapin van Persie in form is great to watch.

He was excellent at the beginning and end of last season, showing his true potential.  He suffered from a sever lack of confidence during the winter months (when the whole team wasn't exactly having a great spell) but is well worth hanging on to.  Some of his finishing is spectacular, seeing him and Rapin van Persie in form is great to watch.

He never really recovered from his 'kicking' at Old Trafford.

Damn right. Quite why he feels the needs to approach the press over this is beyond me. I can only feel people needed a quote because he is French, and therefore a reliable source on all things Henry. We should have got rid of this waster ages ago.

He had a torrid time at Milan. Only made 2 appearances, and generally didn't impress.

No, Vieira suffered because of the foreigner rule in Italy at the time. Plus Milan had an abundance of world class midfielders at the time (Boban, Albertini, Donadoni, Desailly, Savicevic, Lentini well maybe not him but you get my point) and Vieira was an unproven French kid who wasn't ever going to get a go in midfield at that time.

The Barnet match was ok BTW. 2nd half was pants though as Wenger took most of the first team off.

No, Vieira suffered because of the foreigner rule in Italy at the time.  Plus Milan had an abundance of world class midfielders at the time (Boban, Albertini, Donadoni, Desailly, Savicevic, Lentini well maybe not him but you get my point) and Vieira was an unproven French kid who wasn't ever going to get a go in midfield at that time.

The Barnet match was ok BTW.  2nd half was pants though as Wenger took most of the first team off.

what he said