Arsenal

cubeadvance

meh - we all know that it would have been a defeat if we needed a point from the game for a euro spot or anything that mattered

I always thought the golden rules of backpassing were to actually look where you were kicking it and never ever ever do them on target

at least the ref didn't blow for an indirect fk on 6y box for handling a back pass.

Forget about Pep and his super tactics and false 9 and all that.

We played with a false right back last night. And had three of them on the bench.

That's what you call super tactics.

19 hours ago, wev said:

That's a hell of alot of words to basically keep saying "there's not enough high level experience within all aspects of the decision making processes at Arsenal"

Yeah, I thought it was far too long and just repeated the same thing about 12 times.

From the outside, Arsenal seem to be at about the right level now - a cup team and no more (and it's been that way for a very long time).

Does anybody in here particularly rate Arteta and think he has the ability to take the team forward? Obviously getting back into the Champions League is the priority, but do you think that's possible under his guidance? 

5 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Does anybody in here particularly rate Arteta and think he has the ability to take the team forward? Obviously getting back into the Champions League is the priority, but do you think that's possible under his guidance? 

I've got a feeling he's merely average, but he's that person at work who has learnt to wear a nice suit and nod in meetings whilst looking intense and thoughtful, like they are really considering the discussion. Occasionally they can chuck in a comment which doesn't reveal them as a total idiot, but they aren't really the people you ever want in charge of something. They've just learnt to fly under the radar and not reveal their incompetence.

the problems come when those people get over promoted into the limelight and silence and moody stares with a nice tie knot isn't enough any more.

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I've got a feeling he's merely average, but he's that person at work who has learnt to wear a nice suit and nod in meetings whilst looking intense and thoughtful, like they are really considering the discussion. Occasionally they can chuck in a comment which doesn't reveal them as a total idiot, but they aren't really the people you ever want in charge of something. They've just learnt to fly under the radar and not reveal their incompetence.

I feel personally attacked

I think Pep is such a weird one. He's been blessed with amazing squads his whole career who are both able to technically execute his nutty professor tactics and are super driven sportspeople who just want to win. Arteta has struggled as he's got a pretty motley crew of serial underachievers to work with. I think he's probably finding out now, which is why he's thrown a bit of a fit, that a lot of them are at their limits technically and some just aren't that arsed. When you see that City documentary the one thing you think is that it doesn't look like much of laugh to work under Guardiola, but then as I say, you've got people who want to win and will put up with the intensity whilst their mantlepiece groans with trophies. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're trying to play a very technically difficult Pep-light game with much shitter players, half of which don't want to be there.

Arteta was definitely right to set standards he wants met and if people don't like it they can bugger off. But I think that's the easy bit though. You can't chuck the whole team away every season.

Interesting that we've decided to go all in on Sander Berge. I remember seeing him a couple of seasons ago when we went to see a Genk play and he was dreadful that day. Just so slow and cumbersome with an awful touch and passing range. I honestly couldn't believe someone thought he could mix it in the Premier League, and lo he hasn't. Out injured for months and didn't win a single game when he played. For a team badly lacking any technicians he is literally the polar opposite of what I would be looking for.

Mind the gap lads….

I mean we had a disaster of a season so even i can’t bring myself to really have a go, thanks for all the bantz tho as without your lot and AFTF this season would have been unbearable.

Definitely glad the season is over, the whole thing has been a massive tedious slog, felt like the case watching it and suspect it was for all involved too. 

The biggest sign of that for me is that since boxing day we are second only to City in terms of points per game taken in the league (ppl used as we played 1 less than Utd), the second half of the season felt a shapeless awful mess never playing the same team 2 weeks running, but somehow despite that we have ended it one of the form teams over a long run.

We'll get Willock back and he'll score less all season in all comps than he got in the last 7 matches for Newcastle. 

Promising to see Saka & Smith-Rowe as first team starters, Pepe still looks ungainly but has become increasingly effective at making stuff happen, Tierney looks great for the matches he plays and by what I've read Saliba has been pretty decent in France. 

Cebellos needs to go back to Spain, I like Odegaard but probably not for the money Real will want, not got a clue what the point of Partey is at present and Auba looks like he could be heading the way of Ozil on his £300k a week.

Club has a lot of work to do in the close season to sort it out.

Actually think the squad is not too bad and hopefully some of that on-the-job training our Coach got this year will pay off next season. Most of the names we have been linked with make sense and would hopefully improve us next year if we can bring them in. Thank god we didn't make the Europa Conference League!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, what am I missing about season ticket renewals? 19/20 £1,392 for 19 home games and 7 home games either FA cup or Europa League, £53 per game

This season is coming in at £1,218 for 19 home games and 2 FA cup games. £58 per game...

Missing out to Aston Villa on Buendia is a real reality check, holy shit. I mean it's one thing being priced out of the market by Chelsea, but not being able to outbid Aston Villa for a player we want is thoroughly depressing.

I think he was always option 2, but Villa were decisive and got their man. If he was still available in August I think we would have been more interested perhaps. What we're likely to do though is be led around by the nose by Real all summer in our futile attempts to buy Ødegaard.

Pretty obvious Real going to yank our chain on this. Odegaard played more mins for us than Real now but Marca will be reporting all summer how Ancelotti wants to build a squad around Odegaard and they couldn't possibly let him go for anything less than €60m, or €65m if we chuck in Xhaka. 

I've seen enough to know he would be an amazing signing and he's only going to get better. It's tricky with loans with a view to buy though, as we already had him and we were still rubbish. Now we realistically need to spend our whole budget to just stand still. He's obviously our main target though, so I would have to hope someone took him to one side after training and were made to feel confident he'd actually sign if we asked. 

It's quite sobering reading who we're being linked to in the gossip columns though. It used to all be bollocks on Teletext, but at least the rumours were us buying Baggio or Nedved or someone fun and glamorous. Now it's Ruben Neves, a drugs cheat and some freebie carthorse from Southampton. As if suggesting anyone actually good would conceivably join us would be a stretch of credibility too far.

I think we've seen the good and bad with loans from Real, Cebellos would have been an utter waste of an actual transfer fee so we've dodged a bullet there, whereas with Odegaard we've upped his value and put him in the shop window. 

I can only assume Buendia was viewed as an option if others failed to come off late in the window, or we really are so skint we're getting outbid by Villa for players now. 

You can only judge a window though once it's closed, no point getting riled over Buendia now, like you say the time for that will be when we've hoovered up several names off the released players list today (Cahill as a former Chelsea cast off has our name all over him)

I can see how we half heartedly went in for Buendia, hoping to negotiate a good deal only to have Aston Villa come in more determined and with more money. Now we'll f around trying to get Odegaard (who I really like) all summer and end up missing out on both.

Neves is a good player and if we are going to sell Xhaka (fingers crossed!!!) we will need bodies. That fact that he's at Wolves means he's coming from one of those super agents though right? Summer starting to feel very familiar...

• 2 weeks later...

In our first 14 games, until 4th December, we've got Chelsea at home, City away, Sp*rs at home, Leicester away, Liverpool away, Utd away & Everton away.

It's going to take some performances, and even more so results, if Arteta is still going to be in charge at Christmas.

Even more ridiculous, Sky are also reporting that we've rejected a Villa bid for Smith-Rowe

I know his contract runs out in two years but if we don't tie him down to a long term deal we might as well pack up and call it a day.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2021 at 10:39, Lucky said:

In our first 14 games, until 4th December, we've got Chelsea at home, City away, Sp*rs at home, Leicester away, Liverpool away, Utd away & Everton away.

It's going to take some performances, and even more so results, if Arteta is still going to be in charge at Christmas.

was there some alternative possibility where we wouldn’t have to play 7 of the 19 other clubs in the same league in the first 14 weeks?

or are you arbitrarily giving the manager until xmas, and these are just the key games?

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

was there some alternative possibility where we wouldn’t have to play 7 of the 19 other clubs in the same league in the first 14 weeks?

or are you arbitrarily giving the manager until xmas, and these are just the key games?

My point wasn't that we are playing 7 out of the other 19 teams, surely you get that yeah?

My point was that 7 of these games, out of the first 14 games, are against the teams I've mentioned (all the 'top' teams) and they look pretty tricky on paper of course.

5 out of these 7 are away too.

And what I meant about Christmas, is if we find ourselves adrift in mid table or even worse by this time I can't see Arteta surviving.

Hope that's cleared it up for you.