The game plan today seems to be just pass the ball aimlessly around midfield until it's worked out to Tierney. He then fires in a cross towards Nketiah who's jumping against 3 defenders who are all taller than him. It's so flat and uninspired. Third game in a week though so they are probably well tired.

It feels like we need a really specific midfielder to make it work. I’m not sure it’s a creative 10 as we hardly ever seem to be camped outside the final third and looking for bit of magic, but an 8 who can win a ball every now and then, beat and man and drive forward a bit would be nice. Basically Ramsey or Rosicky:

3 minutes ago, wev said:

Anyone else a bit concerned that Aubameyang hasn't scored since signing his new contract?

I've assumed the problem is I keep making him my cpt in fantasy football.

Poor Gunnersaurus

Arsenal’s COVID cuts have claimed another victim in the shape of dinosaur mascot Gunnersaurus. Jerry Quy, who has played the role since its inception in 1993, has been let go as part of the club’s ongoing streamlining process.

In August, Arsenal announced the decision to make 55 redundancies due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on the club’s finances. Many departments have been affected, from scouting through to retail and marketing. As a part-time role, Quy’s departure is not counted among the 55, but is nevertheless part of the same cost-cutting process. The absence of fans has had a significant impact on a club who rely on matchday revenue more than their competitors — and with no supporters in the ground, Quy’s Gunnersaurus role has been deemed no longer necessary.

A hugely popular figure, Quy had a longstanding association with Arsenal, having worked with both the Junior Gunners and the Travel Club. An Arsenal fan since attending his first match in 1963, his devotion to the club has known few bounds — he even missed his brother’s wedding to attend a home game.

Quy was the man inside the iconic Gunnersaurus suit at most Arsenal games, although his identity was a close-guarded secret. He did not travel on pre-season tours — on those occasions, the suit was worn by either a local or another member of Arsenal staff. When the coronavirus outbreak struck, the Gunnersaurus suit was stowed at Quy’s home, which led to a series of candid shots of “Gunnersaurus at home”.

Arsenal confirmed Quy had left his post as they strive to do everything more efficiently. However, they insisted the beloved mascot will return.

Utterly fucking classless, which is now expected of the club.

Gunnersaurus is a more beloved part of the club than any of the Kroenke's will ever be, or most of the players for that matter.

It's more than 'bloke loses job due to Covid' - he's been a part of the culture and part of the image of the club for years and even missed his own brothers wedding as it was matchday (I'm talking about Jerry Quy here, not Gunnersaurus who I', sure will be back). 

My son was bought up with Gunnersaurus, from his first games at only 5-6y old he always loved seeing him and the halftime penalties were still something we greatly enjoyed  watching now he's an adult, its part of our watching Arsenal tradition.

The Kronkes have deep enough pockets to have been able to guarantee jobs and support the first team in an ambitious way. Instead we've had a net spend on the squad of £7m and were the first in the league to let go huge numbers of people. We can discuss them spending money, but it's not their investment. Funds have just been released that the club had earned. They talk about investment and support, but it's not financial. What support exactly are the providing? Moral? It's hardly the staff or fans fault we wasted all of our money. They installed a crooked idiot to manage it and left him to his own devices to bleed it dry. 

They bought a plot of land in N7 and the proceeds of a TV deal. Everything else is secondary. 

He was also (deliberately) even worse at saving penalties than Cech, even while dressed in a giant Dinosaur suit, and that takes real talent.

On the one hand, you can see what they're trying to do, and why, when it comes to cutting costs, but on the other it's absolutely disgusting to see someone in such a (sometimes ironically) beloved role, who's presumably on a fraction of most of the player's wages (that parallel always makes it worse), let go like this.

I've commented to people previously that I thought it was possible that some of the 55 staff (who were supposedly mainly scouts) were going to be let go at some point anyway, as part of an already-planned restructure, and that the club badly misjudged using COVID as an "excuse" (though letting Raul send out the message before binning him a week later was a bit more savvy, at least), but this one is even harder to rationalise.

As Art says, the Kroenke's are unwilling (but absolutely able) to support the club, at least in this kind of thing. The only good thing to say about them at the moment is that they're not the Glazers.

Well, Auba hasn't scored since he signed his new contract, and if that keeps up I wouldn't rule it out.

It would be very like us to have tried to do the Gunnersaurus thing today so that everyone will forget when we sign someone, only for us to not sign anyone.

How much can he be on per year? A day of Auba’s new contract?

It’s a fucking disgrace. Sacking scouts when we bought a scouting company was crappy, but realistically it’s one or the other.

Reports we've told Athletico that we'll pay Partey's release clause, which I believe is €50m, must have been binning Gunnersaurus that finally scraped the pennies together.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

Deadline is 11 right? Plenty of time to announce we’ve re-signed Jack Wiltshire.

If he wasn’t so injury prone it wouldn’t be the worst idea. Would prefer Ramsey back though, think he’d thrive under Arteta.

interesting read on Partey's stats compared to our current players - obviously different leagues and systems/teams but statistically he's not a stand out improvement, I recall a similar write up on Pepe last year from statsbomb concluding he was decent but we'd overpaid by £30m or so for him.

https://arseblog.news/2020/10/thomas-partey-by-the-numbers/?utm_campaign=autotwitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

The wages are insane, but the fee isn't that crazy. I think we needed the exact type of player that he is for years, and he's arguably the best one you could get within our budget. If it means playing him allows us to go to a back 4 without shipping goals again he'll be worth it. I think the stats only tell part of the story though, you can see with your own two eyes how good he's been at Athletico.

Pepe is another matter. We horribly overpaid for him by any measure. If the plan was to get him before he got more expensive, I'd like to meet the person who thought he'd ever be worth say, £90m. 

Kieran Tierney has had a corona close contact and will have to isolate for 14 days, so will miss the Manchester City game. Strikes me as nuts internationals are still being played with all this going on. 

Edited by Silent Runner
  • 2 weeks later...