On 10/09/2020 at 10:22, Gotters said:

I don't get the same vibes off Auba as Ozil - latter day Ozil always appeared a reluctant footballer and I think he fell into the situation with Arsenal as you say @Art Vandelay due to the Sanchez situation, he had huge leverage and his people, quite rightly as they are paid to rep him, screwed the club to the mast over negotiations. I just don't think he wanted the pressure or aggro any more after the Germany situation but found himself painted as the top paid saviour of a club clearly in decline. A role he could never deliver on. 

This was then all compounded by him appearing to give up a bit and have a Ryan Giggs playing for Wales approach to away games.

Be best for all concerned when he's gone.

I still think he can come good. I don’t think he will, Arteta clearly isn’t one for bothering with such things and it’d take a lot anyway. We’d have seen him trying it on the pitch by now if he was going to, and I’m certainly thinking that Willian has been signed to do a lot of his job. But there are absolutely times when a static player who can put the ball in more useful places when he receives it are useful, especially in European matches. The problem when he was last in the squad was that it was stodgy and uncoordinated, there just weren’t people for him to pick out, whereas there would be now. Defenders that actually defend gives the midfield more freedom and he’d benefit from that lots.

And as much as he’s hard to have sympathy for when he’s getting that much money for nothing, I do. Between the Germany/Turkey mess and the attempted mugging, combined with Wenger leaving and Emery being a bit shit, it’s not hard to see where it’s gone wrong and none of that is his fault. Yes, he’s paid to be good at football regardless of such things, but he’s still human. Arsenal were a mess, on the pitch, off the pitch, everything.

I honestly don’t think I’m going to be as excited about a footballer signing for Arsenal as I was for Ozil, I certainly can’t think of anyone active now I’d be that excited about coming in. Perhaps Alexander-Arnold, a few based on Football Manager. But I really do think he was the best player in the world when he joined. Harder to make use of than Messi and Ronaldo, but the ball literally just went where it needed to pretty much every time he got it. And he carried on doing that in a team that was odd at best, but because we had him with just one or two more signings and we’d have won the league easily in 15/16.

I’ll be sad when he’s gone and I do think he’ll just retire but I’d love for him to go and win a title or two in the MLS or something. He really was such a great player. 

There’s absolutely no way he was the best player in the world when he joined. He was great to watch but he didn’t deserve to be spoken about in the same breath as Messi or Ronaldo. Even someone like Hazard who sits on the second rung was far more productive.

I think its a bit generous to absolve Ozil of any blame in the spectacular blowing up of his career - he's clearly a very talented player but one who needs everything perfect around him to perform. It's his way or fake back injuries and no shows. Arteta asks him to track back a bit and press as a unit, 'nah sorry got a bad hand can't play this week'.

Whilst Emery was clearly a clown looking for scapegoats during his brief reign the same accusation can't be put to Arteta, who I think would have done everything he could to get Ozil onside and part of the team. The only reason he wouldn't is if instructed by the management not to, which would be odd and I've never seen suggested.

I've said this before and it may be a bit harsh, but passing it sideways on halfway to Ronaldo for him to run up the pitch and score is an easy way to pad out an assist record.

Signing him was very exciting as it reversed the trend of us selling players like him to bigger clubs, we were getting a high level player in their pomp, but the fee showed his level in the game at the time, very good but not elite god level tier.

The Ozil signing as people have mentioned was very exciting because we where getting a proven world class player rather than losing one, it will also has that lore around it because of the whole Bale transfer it really felt like we got a world class player and got one over spurs at the same time.

7 hours ago, Gotters said:

I've said this before and it may be a bit harsh, but passing it sideways on halfway to Ronaldo for him to run up the pitch and score is an easy way to pad out an assist record.

lol come on, I get that he's become a shambles now but this is in no way representative of his play in that Real Madrid side. They were absolutely devastating on the counter and he was a large reason for that.

He's also got beef with the club over the Uighurs stuff don't forget, and he's not in the wrong on that one.

I have always liked footballers that can actually kick a ball well, a ridiculously uncommon skill in the whole great scheme of things, so Pirlo and Beckham are well up my list of favourite players and obviously Özil is in that category too. 

But it wasn’t just that, he constantly made the right decisions too. He didn’t try and get goals or even assists, he put the ball where it needed to be. Hazard is great, but he constantly makes the wrong decisions. He has as many successes as he does because of the sheer number of times he tries it, but each time he makes the wrong choice can be a goal to the opposition. Ronaldo and Messi did the same thing but better, until Ronaldo just started standing on the spot and kicking the ball into the net. 

I just don’t like players like that. It’s alright when it’s Messi, but probably the peak example of bad decision making in that way (even in the good times) was Sanchez. The most infuriating player and Özil made him work well for Arsenal because he didn’t always pass to him. Özil wasn’t just making his own decisions, he was making decisions for Sanchez too. I don’t think enough people acknowledge that was a big part of Sanchez’s post-Arsenal collapse. There was no-one at Man Utd to even come close to Özil. It’s the same way that Messi can be on the wrong side of an 8-2 drubbing without Xavi and Iniesta, they stopped the team from defaulting to “just give it to Messi and hope”.

All those players are better picks for your fantasy football team, but for me peak-Özil was better for an actual football team. 

Shame we're letting Matinez leave, it only makes sense if we desperately need that £20m to put towards a midfielder upgrade and are sacrificing the luxury of 2 decent keepers to make it happen.

But of a punt though as Leno needs to be wrapped in bubblewrap between games now.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

Shame we're letting Matinez leave, it only makes sense if we desperately need that £20m to put towards a midfielder upgrade and are sacrificing the luxury of 2 decent keepers to make it happen.

But of a punt though as Leno needs to be wrapped in bubblewrap between games now.

I think that we kind of had to let him go if we were going to be fair to him and as some kind of reward for his 10 years or so of service.

He's clearly shown he can be a number 1.

Add to that his massively increased valuation, thanks to his superb performances filling in for the injured Leno, selling him had to be done.

Like you say, if we put the money towards a Partey and/or Aouar then it makes even more sense.

Add in the potential sales of maybe Torreira, Guendouzi, Sokratis and even more (maybe Elneny, Bellerin and Ozil for example) then I'd like to think that we can got for both Partey & Aouar.

He’ll be alright. I don’t think you get the best out of him when he’s plowing a lonely furrow with Kolasinac, who just doesn’t posses the passing ability to find him in dangerous spaces. Being solid enough and then creating a moment of quality that wins you the game is OK.

Ceballos looks busy but anyone can see we need someone to add in the mix who can break beyond midfield and add some goals and creativity. I would be tempted to give Willian a bash in there and have Pepe running up and down the line a bit.

So our new £1.5m back up goalie is a 25y old who lost his place in the Dijon team last year and last played for Iceland in 2018.

None of these words fill me with confidence, better hope Leno is feeling robust.

I reckon he’ll be alright. We’ve had the odd situation for about a decade now where we’ve had two decent and comparable keepers on the books. There’s not many teams that can say that. Maybe that new coach knows he’s a selfless trainer or something which is pretty important for a number two. He’s taken a risk though. Anyone I’ve recommended for a job has been dismal. Brave thing to do when you’ve only just turned up.