rllmuk
cubeadvance

Arsenal

OK i'll check with my little group, see who is going. Probably a good time for me to ask them!

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

Well at least we should get a few games on Saturday now for the rest of the season, and TV will have no interest in our fixtures. 

Can go 2 ways on this - its either a good chance for Arteta to coach his team without Europa league distractions and make a concerted run for 4/5th and a CL spot or its the start of a Watford style downing of tools as they all go on holiday early mentally and coast into the season end with nothin to play for.

If we (LFC) are still unbeaten when we play you 3rd to last game I’m guessing that’ll be a huge game for your fans/players..?

10 minutes ago, JamesTW said:

If we (LFC) are still unbeaten when we play you 3rd to last game I’m guessing that’ll be a huge game for your fans/players..?

Arsenal Fan TV will be pretty special after that one.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

its either a good chance for Arteta to coach his team without Europa league distractions and make a concerted run for 4/5th and a CL spot

You've got 11 games to make up somewhere between 0 and 7 points on Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Burnley.

2 or 3 of those maybe. All six?

Just now, Plissken said:

You've got 11 games to make up somewhere between 0 and 7 points on Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Burnley.

2 or 3 of those maybe. All six?

It's such a wonky season who knows - Chelsea and Spurs seem to be stalling a bit, Leicester too, Utd are patchy, Wolves may be distracted by Europe.

We still play 4 of those teams.

Its unlikely but not impossible by any means, especially with 5th possibly being in play if City ban holds. 

It's unlikely that we will make 5th by the end of the season TBH. Despite that and last nights performance I do feel positive about our long term prospects. There's been visible improvements in the team and players performances have been getting better. It's probably going to take a few windows to get the team to where Arteta wants it, but I don't think the squad is that poor and we have quite a few decent young players coming through.

Losing Aubameyang would be a blow, but I'd rather we sell him and invest the money than lose him on a free. Plus with Martinelli, Pepe, Saka and Nketiah we have a bunch of promising attacking talent coming through.

Mari starts. So do Gwen and Martinelli - this looks like the kind of team he should have started last Thursday. 

Can I just say, I utterly despise Jermaine Jenas. Such a cretin. 

Just went in on the ‘Arsenal are a bunch of fairies who don’t like their legs breaking’ before they’d even kicked off. 

• Upvote 2

He is on my stream, yeah. Achieved fuck all his entire career but drones on about how shit everyone else is. 

• Upvote 2

Nelson had a really good game tonight. We looked poor in the middle of the park though. 

10 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

He is on my stream, yeah. Achieved fuck all his entire career but drones on about how shit everyone else is. 

Just for his comments on the challenge on Torreria he needs to be banned from ever commenting on football. Both professionally and socially.

Every cliche you could imagine justifying it. My favourite bit was when he talked about how a player can't stop his momentum in a challenge like that - I waited for the penny to drop - it didn't.

He’s just a lazy idiot with nothing of note to say. I do find it annoying when you get someone with such a strong affiliation with a rival team commentating too. I love a bit of needle, but on games like this having a pundit slag off one team constantly is just exhausting. We were one-nil up and Portsmouth hadn’t had a shot on target at the break but he still felt fit to have a pop. Terrible coverage.

Annoyed for Torreira too. Mike Dean seemed to referee the game at League One standard for them and Premier League for us until it settled down. If there’s one official you can guarantee to follow a narrative it’s him.

Anyway, Nelson and Martinelli were class. Would love to see more of them this season. 

My favourite Jenas-ness of the evening was how he was gleefully negative about our defending (which was admittedly nervy at times) any time Portsmouth got anywhere near our goal, and kept singing Nelson's praises all game, but then when asked who his MOTM was said 'none of the attacking players for Arsenal caught my eye, so I'll give it to David Luiz'. Brilliant.

• Upvote 1

Torreria's got a fractured ankle.

Edit: on the plus side this has made Jenus look even more of a dickhead for his retarded commentary.

My mate was saying during the game that ‘one-nil to the Arsenal’ is still probably his favourite chant; I told him that I still love it,  but miss feeling like you could sing it with a bit of confidence/conviction, when lately it’s felt more like opportunism - sing it while you can!

Regardless, a good result (especially considering how the other results have gone this far) from a half-decent game and an fairly meh performance. Leno was certainly still a bit busy for my liking, so thank fuck he’s as good as he is. It definitely feels like there’s an actual system in place now, but we’re lacking a bit of a spark going forward sometimes, and remain prone to individual errors at the back. I’m also so, so tired of watching our defenders continuously backing away from opponents coming at them with the ball...

The main thing I’ll remember from the game is the lengthy delay and then (amazingly, positive) result of the VAR decision on the goal; the general mix of bemusement and disapproval in the ground was something to behold, giving way to the the slightly surreal scenes as we realised it’d been given, with people who’d been watching the ref celebrating as people who’d been watching the screens gradually caught up and joined in the celebrations.

Five minutes of injury time, and I genuinely believe four of that was from the VAR delay...

7 hours ago, JDubYes said:

My mate was saying during the game that ‘one-nil to the Arsenal’ is still probably his favourite chant; I told him that I still love it,  but miss feeling like you could sing it with a bit of confidence/conviction, when lately it’s felt more like opportunism - sing it while you can!

Regardless, a good result (especially considering how the other results have gone this far) from a half-decent game and an fairly meh performance. Leno was certainly still a bit busy for my liking, so thank fuck he’s as good as he is. It definitely feels like there’s an actual system in place now, but we’re lacking a bit of a spark going forward sometimes, and remain prone to individual errors at the back. I’m also so, so tired of watching our defenders continuously backing say from opponents coming at them with the ball...

The main thing I’ll remember from the game is the lengthy delay and then (amazingly, positive) result of the VAR decision on the goal; the general mix of bemusement and disapproval in the ground was something to behold, giving way to the the slightly surreal scenes as we realised it’d been given, with people who’d been watching the ref celebrating as people who’d been watching the screens gradually caught up and joined in the celebrations.

Five minutes of injury time, and I genuinely believe four of that was from the VAR delay...

Do you mean this 'thing' of running parallel with an attacking opponent (with the ball) as much a possible, allowing him further into our half and consequently doing his thing (pass/shot etc)?

I too find it baffling, and don't see any other teams doing it as much.

Yeah, it seems so rare for our defenders to move toward the ball carrier, or stand their ground. It’s not always inadvisable to back off, of course, and often the shot ceded isn’t too dangerous, but still, we do seem to do a lot of it (Luiz had a pretty glaring example yesterday that sprang to mind) and I always wonder how much it’s coached, and how much it’s a lack of confidence.