rllmuk
cubeadvance

Arsenal

Just now, SeanR said:

Red and a junior gunner and it’s the 24th

you trying to buy in the family sections - recall when my son was on junior gunner card you can't buy seats in adult area until family enclosures sold out ?

Didn't we concede a penalty for shirt-pulling against Liverpool? Because that looked like an identical shirt-pull from the corner that VAR ignored. What's the point of VAR if these things aren't enforced consistently? 

Another half with no shot on target - I want to like Pepe but he is playing like shit at present, despite some oddly flattering stats.

we’re not fun to watch away from home

That was utter garbage, just another clueless shapeless away performance - its not even a shock or a scalp when we capitulate like this any more, I expect it.

Some believers still refer to Emery and his preparation, tactical flexibility etc I just don’t see it, how long can he persist with Xhaka and Guendouzi, they don’t work as a pair, but arent the only issues.

the pen decison puts a cherry on a shockingly bad weekend for VAR, the official line is they look for ‘triangles’ on shirt pulls and not deemed enough of a pull to overturn, but apparently if ref had given VAR wouldnt have struck it off as a pen either - the more they explain it the worse it gets.

That we had two weeks to scheme out that plan just about says it all really. I saw Sheffield Utd in the flesh a few weeks ago and thought they were an incredibly limited side at this level, that would almost certainly beat us. Joylessly working it from the wings in slow motion is meat and drink for a back four like theirs, and that’s really all we have to offer. 

There’s no variation or creativity to what we try and do and unless the front two pull a goal from nowhere we don’t score. This season will be a disaster if we don’t sort things out. Everyone else bar Liverpool look undercooked or in some kind of transition and not capitalising would be unforgivable. Emery won’t turn this around. He’s had about 50 games in the league and aside from pumping a terrible Fulham outfit, Leicester at home and 45 against Spurs about a year ago it’s been dismal.  

• Upvote 2

I just don’t understand the difference in approaches to cup games and the league. We set up with a high pressing game in the cups, keeper plays it long as do the centre backs, we play on the front foot, yet in the league we play deep and let the opposition play onto us. I don’t understand why we don’t play the same in the league.

This is our best opportunity to get top 4 for a few years, and will almost certainly be harder next season. Hopefully the club realises before it's too late.

I wonder how much it would cost to buy out his contract? 10 million vs 35 million lost for reaching the CL?

The bigger question is who replaces him. We'd probably not get Arteta away from City so is Ljundberg ready for the big chair? I'd be happy with Freddie until the end of the season but only if it was understood that it was a temporary setup so as to avoid a Solskjaer type mess. 

I suppose as long as Spurs and United carry on being shit, he'll manage to keep his job by virtue of us still being in the mix. The Europa League is also full of dross so we'll probably keep progressing there too.

It was interesting listening to a few of of the Ramble Meets... podcasts recently. They had Winterburn and Perry Groves on, but also people like Heskey and Jonathan Greening who spoke about how when they turned up at clubs like Liverpool, Utd and Arsenal, no matter who else was offering whatever, they knew this was big time and that's where they wanted to be. It's a bit of a cliche when talking about these big status clubs, but I think that's one of my main criticisms of Emery and I think Utd supporters have with Solskjaer – that they approach games in a way not befitting of where the club should be. These timid performances against quite poor sides are embarrassing. It's why these results aren't a shock anymore, because we spend all week worrying about what the mighty Watford or Newcastle are going to do to us. You've already visualised the loss so it's hardly a surprise when it happens.

Emery just isn't a fit. If you're going to have a pragmatist then have some uppity prick who wants to stick it up everyone's bollocks every week, not some accountant. And if you're not as good as the best, fake it for a bit until you are. We play like an absolute load of old ladies.

• Upvote 1

Weird how literally every single player he's tried there, from Ozil to Ramsey to Willock to Ceballos to Torreira, can't play No10 properly in whatever 'system' Emery is trying to implement. :sherlock:

As promising as he's beginning to look, we also have Lacazette and Aubameyang, the problem is the lack of service these players are getting from Emery's tactics.