rllmuk
cubeadvance

Arsenal

33 minutes ago, gooner4life said:

Well you're forgetting the fact that Aubameyang plays as the left forward, he's clearly going for a 4231 formation so Laca, with Auba, Ozil, Pepe behind him

I’m not forgetting that; I just wanted us to use our best striker as a striker.

42 minutes ago, suzzopher said:

I thought we might have given Iwobi a chance in the middle this season. He’s one of the few players who can run with the ball at his feet. Very disappointing to see him go.

No Luiz though?

I was getting worried myself there but....

Regarding Iwobi, it’s time we were a bit ruthless.

Yeah he’s got a bit of pace, a bit of skill, runs at players etc.. but unfortunately zero football brain. He doesn’t know when to shoot, pass or get a cross in the box.

He must be a bit of a nightmare to mark because the defender must have no clue what he’s going to do next because Iwobi certainly doesn’t.

We did the same with Walcott for about 10 years when it was obvious after a few he wasn’t good enough.

Might as well give a youngster a go instead.

Give Willock or Nelson a go

• Upvote 2

I don’t have an issue with selling Iwobi. I don’t like a) the fact we don’t have a proper, senior replacement on the left, and b) that we’re only getting an initial £28m for him. I also think it’s a bit sad that most people here don’t seem to have a good word to say about a player who’s been at the club since he was a little kid. 

• Upvote 2

I'm confused as to why we sold Iwobi tbh, I though Emery liked him? Seems like there no natural replacement in the squad now, maybe Kolasinac will move forward? Other than that pretty decent window.

Kolasniac is playing as Ozils shadow, the Premier League have allowed it as he's not allowed to touch the ball but can chase off anyone who comes near Mesut

• Upvote 1

I assume we had to sell  to recoup some of the outgoings. I’m sure Iwobi wasn’t top of Emery’s list to get rid of but as nobody would touch Mustafi with a barge pole and other fringe players look to be staying I guess they had less choice. 

I really don’t see much reason to think Willock or Nelson will be notably better than Iwobi. We didn’t really give him the best development and he was doing pretty well. There were a lot of games last season that changed after half time because Iwobi came on. He might not have got many goals or assists, but he made a shit-ton of chances. I think I read at some stage he made the most chances in the team, which must be a ridiculous ratio per minute.

I can see we needed money, but it seems counterproductive to me. I think we should have worked to integrate him more. Aubamayang does play on the wing well, but he does turn our formation into a diagonal 4-4-2 rather than actually playing as a winger. 

A bad move for me. But the rest of the window was good if you assume that it is actually impossible to get rid of the players we actually wanted rid of. While Luiz and Mustafi may just spontaneously combust when a striker walks near them, I’ve got a vague suspicion that they might actually form a pairing.

Certainly I’m happier with getting Luiz in than if we’d ended up keeping Koscielny.

1 hour ago, The Fox said:

I don’t have an issue with selling Iwobi. I don’t like a) the fact we don’t have a proper, senior replacement on the left, and b) that we’re only getting an initial £28m for him. I also think it’s a bit sad that most people here don’t seem to have a good word to say about a player who’s been at the club since he was a little kid. 

I was actually genuinely surprised to see that he played 50+ times for us last season, even if they weren’t all (or even mainly) starts. My initial (objective) reaction to the transfer was that it lost us a useful squad option, and that stat suggests I understated it a bit too.

Beyond that, I’m genuinely sorry to see him go. His finishing and composure might have frustrated at times, but I liked his drive and strength, and his being both an academy graduate and immensely likeable didn’t hurt either.

I understand (if not necessarily agree with) the suggestion that he’s not good enough for where we want to be, it might be that he was deemed surplus to requirements based on what Emery’s plans are, and the amounts being quoted are arguably decent business for someone perceived to lack end product, but one way or another it’s taken some some of the shine off of what looks like an otherwise very good window for us, especially considering expectations going in.

I’m a little worried we’re going to struggle to have a strong start to the season, what with so many important players returning from injury, bedding in, returning late, or some combination of the three, but I’m still genuinely excited for the season now, and generally very pleased with what’s been achieved in the window. Roll on Sunday!

I think Arsenal have had a good summer. Iwobi is average with some nice touches but poor when it matters Luiz is certainly liable at times but he can be great and will improve a weak defence. 

Going forward could be quite something!

• Upvote 1

Even with the issues on the left, the squad is now comfortably 4th-best in the league on paper. Any struggle to qualify for the CL is going to be firmly on Emery.

It comes across like you are willing him to fail so you can continue coming in here and posting 'he's a bum' 

It's all on Emery now, he has been backed far more than any of us imagined back in May. It will take time for all the signings to bed in but we should be getting top 4. 

This isn't good. Feels like that indicates the police believe they may be specifically targeted.

• Empathy 1

Leno, AMN, Sokratis, Chambers, Monreal, Xhaka, Willock, Guendouzi, Mkhi, Nelson, Aubameyang 

Nice to see Willock start but Mkhik and Chambers aren't filling me with confidence. Strong bench though. 

2 minutes ago, hercules said:

Also the ref is a joke. 

Got the decision right about the pen. Apart from that - agreed.

Dull as fuck this though. Some one should put Mhiki out of his misery. It's like he's being forced to do something he hates.

Doesn't that already equal Arsenals away clean sheets for last season?

• Upvote 1

Yup. Which is part of why I’d probably have taken that result before kick-off, especially with our upcoming tricky run of fixtures meaning points might be at a premium for the foreseeable.

Game went pretty much as expected, bearing in mind that team was far from our strongest, with a lot of our best players either unavailable or unready. Hard to really read much into it for that reason, but it was nice to see a couple of flashes of quality from the new guys, as well as Auba doing Auba things.

Not a bad result given the team we put out, although Newcastle are not the best opposition. If they get relegated, we could do worse than pick up Almirón, such a good player!