Arsenal

cubeadvance

Was listening to TalkSport earlier this morning and got thinking about the Kos sending off.

Some were saying the ref was 100% correct on the pen and the red, others were saying the pen but not the red, spoilt the game, rules are clear, bit of common sense would have been nice etc....

So, should the ref simply award a pen and send Kos off because those are the rules, simple, it's black and White.

or, should the ref award a pen and only give a yellow as normally a player would get a yellow for this and to not spoil the game etc..

Also, seeing as football is such big business nowadays is there pressure on the ref from the clubs to get 'every big decision correct' as one day a club may sue for lost revenue if they don't get in the CL or get relegated for example because of say a point or so when if the ref had made the correct decision in a game they would have stayed up for example and not lost £50million pounds etc......

or, does the ref have a duty to the fans who paid x amount for tickets, travel etc but had the contest all but cancelled after 9 minutes.

or should the ref just do his best and not give a shit about the clubs potential lost earning & the fans and what they've paid as that's nothing to do with him?

Just a bit of a discussion topic as the game was pretty shit and there's not much to add to what's been said already.

My view is, the refs need a bit of help from the PL. They should come out and say 'well done, it's says clearly in the rules that preventing a goal scoring attempt is a pen and a red' then the refs need to be consistent, or change the rule to a pen and not a red.

With regards to the clubs and fans, it's not really the refs place to worry about that, however, with the huge sums of money involved, it does leave them/the PL open to action if one day a team is relegated because the ref incorrectly awards/fails to award a goal in error.

With the fans, it's a shame but if the ref 'spoils' the game because of a dodgy decision or an early red card then it can only be hard luck on the fans I suppose.

With the last World Cup though, the ref was a bit lenient with Holland as it looked like he didn't want to pull out a red early on and spoil the biggest game there is, for the fans and the watching millions, even though some challenges were more than deserving of a red.

Regarding this 'red card ruining the game' issue - I really don't see why they couldn't just amend the 'clear goalscoring chance' rule so that it only applies outside the penalty area. Surely the function of the rule is primarily to prevent the situation where somebody is going to be put through and the defender realises this and fouls them before they reach the area, knowing they can just take a yellow card and the team go almost unpunished (only conceding a freekick).

The rule is basically pointless in the area as a penalty is a severe enough deterrent already, there's no incentive to foul in the area (unless you think it'll go unseen). And it can be incredibly harsh (not so much in this case as Kos did it entirely deliberately) for example when a player is clean through in the area and defender makes an attempt at a last ditch tackle that they mistime. Or even worse, when the goalkeeper gets sent off for it - with the rule as it stands the risk is so high they might as well just stand there and watch the shot go in.

If we slip outside the top four, it'll take at least five years to get back in.

Look at Liverpool (yes, they're still not back in yet).

That's not because we didn't finish in the top four. It's because we had people running the club who didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing and were just chasing the pounds rather than being arsed what was happening on the pitch.

So as long as you don't have non-footballing men interfering with the running of the football side of things and they're not so concerned with profits as they are with winning trophies, you'll be sound.

I have no problem with the decision so long as when this happens like it does in virtually every game, the same punishment is applied. It needs to be consistent. Defenders bear hug players every corner and most free kicks and generally it goes unseen and even if seen, in punished, that's why there is such a diverse about yesterday.

After the red card watching the game was just an exercise in frustration. For all the pressure we applied in the 2nd half there just seemed to be no-one to finish off the chances we created, and to be honest there was only a couple of decent ones. Plus Man City did a very professional job at killing the game when needed.

I did think Diaby looked half decent. He looks unstoppable at times, then makes a poor decision and loses the ball. I can't honestly remember if he managed to rid his game of that, feel like every time he gets close he gets injured. I really did think that yesterday's game needed someone like Arshavin (hey maybe even the man himself) to unlock the Man City defense with 15-20 mins to go.

I cannot believe we are not bringing anyone in with the number of games we have coming up and the general poor quality of the forwards we currently have. Seems like Fellaini and Zaha are already gonna be snapped up by Chelsea and Man United in the Summer as well, so depressing.

Re: Sagna. He does look like he's in a funk about not being offered a new contract, and can't really be arsed. Jenkinson will surely come in for Swansea, and if he does well IMO he should stay there for now.

It seems La Sagna is pasta his best and it could cost us 4th place.

Spurs know that feeling...

Nah, defenders would ALWAYS take a yellow card and a penalty over a goal, you'd be mental not to. I just think that there needs to be some clarification as to what a "clear goalscoring opportunity" is. For me, the player should have the ball under control and/or there should be no defenders who could reasonably be expected to stop the chance under normal circumstances. He didn't have the ball under control and if Koscielny had defended like a good defender instead of an Arsenal defender he wouldn't have got any shot off clean. I've no idea how a referee is meant to judge it though.

Agree that the 'clear goalscoring opportunity' thing should only apply outside the area. Pretty much everyone agrees that punishment is way too harsh if it's also a penalty.

The rule is basically pointless in the area as a penalty is a severe enough deterrent already, there's no incentive to foul in the area (unless you think it'll go unseen). And it can be incredibly harsh (not so much in this case as Kos did it entirely deliberately) for example when a player is clean through in the area and defender makes an attempt at a last ditch tackle that they mistime. Or even worse, when the goalkeeper gets sent off for it - with the rule as it stands the risk is so high they might as well just stand there and watch the shot go in.

Pointless rule? No incentive to foul? Then why did Kos do it?

I think if they changed the rule to a yellow then we would get everyone fouling in the box and leaving the keeper to try and save the penalty.

I don't really see the problem if people want to foul on purpose in the box and hope for a missed penalty. The vast majority of penalties are scored and in a lot of cases it's a better chance to score than the original incident (see Dzeko's at the weekend, which wouldn't have been the easiest of chances as the ball was dropping awkwardly, and a penalty was surely simpler for him).

Mind you, a yellow card for something like Suarez versus Ghana would be pretty ridiculous I suppose.

Anyway has anyone heard this stuff about Etienne Capoue to Everton? FML.

No value in January according to Arsene, but there seems to be a lot of good players leaving or possibly leaving France for less than £10m atm. Yeah no one who'll set the world on fire maybe, but plenty of them are easily good enough to improve our squad.

Pointless rule? No incentive to foul? Then why did Kos do it?

I think if they changed the rule to a yellow then we would get everyone fouling in the box and leaving the keeper to try and save the penalty.

Because he was trying to track his man and did it out of instinct, if he was thinking reasonably then that wouldn't happen - he was just too eager I suppose.

Theo has signed then: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/walcott-signs-a-new-long-term-contract

Forgive me for not leaping for joy that we're paying someone as 'meh' as him as much money as we apparently are (allegedly £120k a week after bonuses), when I can only afford to attend a handful of matches each season due to the ticket prices.

that link lists him as a twenty year old, with 6 england caps?