IGNORED

Booting

SeanR

I had a WONDERFUL dream last night.

A box in a tent with some saturn games

"£5 for these saturn games?"

"Yeah, alright, there's some more in the box underneath"

Indeed there are. About 30 of them. No doubles, no Sega Rally or other "common titles", there was even a copy of Blazing Dragons! At least I think so, I mean, I recognised the boxes, but couldn't read the titles.

Anyway, I'm leaving now for Flamingo Park.

Have just been told that a local afternoon car booter has started-up again.

These are ideal for me. I can have a lie-in and then still have a chance to get booting.

Hopefully I'll be able to dig out one or two bits and in the process reassure CBSK that my booting skills haven't been totally lost. :o

Will report back later,

Rob

I had a WONDERFUL dream last night.

A box in a tent with some saturn games

"£5 for these saturn games?"

"Yeah, alright, there's some more in the box underneath"

Indeed there are. About 30 of them. No doubles, no Sega Rally or other "common titles", there was even a copy of Blazing Dragons! At least I think so, I mean, I recognised the boxes, but couldn't read the titles.

Anyway, I'm leaving now for Flamingo Park.

I was really looking forward to this morning.

came home with:

sonic and knuckles (all complete but a bit battered as usual)

cosmic spacehead and fantastic dizzy double pack (minty)

road rash II (minty)

for £1 each and that was it.

Once again saw lots of loose N64/PS1's for £10 and 2 boxed GBA's for £25 each.

However this weekend I have picked up in the shops:

Grandia PS1 £2

harvest moon and soul calibur II GC £4 each

paper mario 2 £20 new from blockies

ace combat squadron leader £10

2 new GC broadband adaptors £10 each

and loads of dvd's for about £3-4 each.

Went to one car boot late today so there was nothing much there. Couldn't be bothered to get up early this morning as I had a late night on Saturday!!! :unsure:

Got Lethal Enforcers and Virtual Bart all boxed up for the mega drive.

While up in London, went to a little shop I know of that somethimes gets a job lot of obsure and old ps1 titles. This time they had these...

ffix.jpg

Well, got 4 copies anyway. 2 of them are factory sealed too and all were new condition. £9.99 each!

Don't be playa-hating y'all...

boot06%20006.jpg

Amstrad CPC464 (with green screen monitor), manual, and dodgy cheetah125 rip-off

boot06%20009.jpg

16 amstrad titles

boot06%20008.jpg

16 spectrum titles???

assorted tapes

all in?

£5

Doesn't work, mind. Either the monitors shot, or the output on the machine is. Either way, probably not economically viable to repair, so I'm taking it down the dumpyard next weekend...

some you win...

some you lose:

some gaming items spotted:

(t) N64 (pikachu edition), all leads, one controller no games £25

(p)DC (grubby), one controller, 3 games, no leads: £25

(t)GameGear, case, battery pack, 3 games: £20

(p)GBA, flash cart, replacement case, carry case... £30

is it rude to laugh? :unsure:

t=trader, obviously only selling game stuff

p=private, house clearance type

Right, I've returned from the car booter, and have already decided that I'm going there again next weekend, albeit earlier.

I didn't do too brilliantly, but got:

- 1 megadrive pad in its own box. The condition of the box was a bit tatty, but in all my years of car booting I've never seen one of these, so didn't mind paying £2 for it.

- From the same stall I also picked up a pair of NES control pads for £1 (for both of them). I always like to have a few spares, so these did nicely.

The same stall were also selling an NES Advantage joystick. I already have one of these, but I was quite willing to pay £2 for another. When I asked the price he said "That's five pounds as they're very rare". Yea, right. That's why I see them at almost every booter. So, I passed on that.

- At another stall I found 3 Saturn games - Sega Rally, Sonic R and Croc, Legend of the Gobbos. I enquired about the price, and the woman said I could have them all for a quid as they were just boxes. The Sega Rally box was damaged, so just asked for a price for the Sonic R and Croc boxes (little did she know that I'd opened both boxes and had spied the Croc disc in there). "You can have them for 70p" she said. "Would you like to open the boxes to see if the manuals are in there?", she also said. I made a pretend forced effort to open the box, and said that it didn't matter. If anyone's got a Sonic R disc but no box, let me know!

Further around the booter I found a boxed (very tatty though) Binatone sports TV plugin console. I was hoping I'd be able to get this for a fiver, but when the chap said that he wanted £20 for it, but would settle for £10, I made my excuses and left.

There's very little else to report from my booting session. My brother and I were amazed at the number of stalls that had a single PS1/2 game on there, the sheer number of crap football games for the PS1/2, and the poor condition of the Playstations we found. My general opinion of crap condition machines is that if the people selling them can't even make them presentable, then I'm not risking adding it to the collection.

My brother did well by getting a mass of computer bits (motherboards, PSUs and a monitor) for a fiver. There was so much that I had to go and bring our car to the stall.

All in all, a good fun way to spend a few hours. No real exciting purchases, but an enjoyable afternoon.

One thing I was impressed with was a sign at the entrance of the car booter basically informing salesmen that if they were found selling bootlegged films, games or clothes then they would be thrown off site and reported to the police.

Rob

Skegness was crap for booting again, but then it is crap anyway

nothing worth buying, unless you want a £30 PS1 or some plants or some meat from the mobile butcher.

Spotted a boxed 70's TV Games system in a charity shop for £10, but it was all scratched on the case, so I passed

Strange day for me as I encountered some other forumites' competition who had migrated to my bootsale (hmmm, tall, ugly, annoying and walkie talkies ring any bells with anyone?). Absolutely pants with just the following to show for a 6am start:

GC - Sonic Mega Collection - £5

GBC - Tweety's Adventure (boxed!) - £1

PS1 - One Piece Mansion - £1

PS1 - Shreks Treasure Hunt - £1

However at the next boot sale most of my competition seemed to have stayed at home, so had a better day of it than usual:

Blue GBA SP - £3 - needs a new battery but otherwise, a steal

XBox - £30 - suspected it was f*cked and so it proved...

PS2 - Gradius III IV - £5

PS2 - ESPN Track & Field - £5

Near mint boxed SMS 1 + 8 games + control stick - £10

Sega Saturn + 10 games courtesy of my mate (inc Sonic R + Nights) - £10

7 NES games - £2

Magicaldrop

It's funny how much Amstrad really did mould the Spectrum +2 to look like their own machine :D

Not to mention that when I got a +2 all those years ago, it came with 6 AmSoft titles (including the picture Oh Mummy) :D

And that was 18 years ago.. eeek!

M;.

Had an okay weekend. Seemed to be a lot of people out looking but not a lot actually around to buy.

Picked up:

Mega Drive, Mega Drive II, Mega CD I and 10 games - £10

ZX Spectrum with rubber keys! - £7

Wacky Races (DC) - £1

Plitowings (SNES) - £2

Ultima V (with a cloth map) (PC) - £1

Spectrum 128 +2 - £4

Landstalker (MD) - £5

Think there were a few bits more but can't remember.

Plus loads of CDs - some really good ones too for £1 each.

Think I might start going to the boot sales less often this summer, especially if the weather stays this nice. There seems to be less and less around and more and more competition and I'm not sure if I have the heart for the fight.

Plus it'll take me all summer to sort through all the stuff I've picked up since March and the girlfriend is getting a bit annoyed by the gaming goodness piled up all over the place.

OMG! I completely forgot. On Saturday I agreed to help the girlfriend in her quest to find a nice wedding outfit. We went to a nearby town and I staggered into a secondhand shop, for a breather, to see if they had any gaming stuff. Found a fairly sizeable rack of PS one games and picked up, amongst a few others, dum de dum...Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Yey! :P

EDIT: 2 pounds ;)

OMG! I completely forgot. On Saturday I agreed to help the girlfriend in her quest to find a nice wedding outfit. We went to a nearby town and I staggered into a secondhand shop, for a breather, to see if they had any gaming stuff. Found a fairly sizeable rack of PS one games and picked up, amongst a few others, dum de dum...Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

Yey!  :P

EDIT: 2 pounds  ;)

amazing stuff. I've never even seen a copy of SOTN in a shop. About the only pal PS1 game I've never seen in the flesh.

amazing stuff. I've never even seen a copy of SOTN in a shop. About the only pal PS1 game I've never seen in the flesh.

First time I've seen it since I worked for EB back in 2000. Had to double take, as I assumed it was Castlevania Chronicles. B)

Strange day for me as I encountered some other forumites' competition who had migrated to my bootsale

Count yourself lucky - even though I was about 40-45 miles away from home, I managed to bump into PikeyDad AKA “the Zen Master of Booting” and of course PikeyMum wasn't far behind. Sadly, they were both back to their usual tricks...

They had heard this chap telling me, that he had 2 boxes of PS1 games - so she jumped in the back of this blokes van and turned it upside down, looking for them. Stuff was getting chucked all over the shop. As it turned out they were on his front seat, so once he had put them out, I helped myself to the good ones for £2 and ran like fuck :P:D:lol:

Think I might start going to the boot sales less often this summer, especially if the weather stays this nice. There seems to be less and less around and more and more competition and I'm not sure if I have the heart for the fight.

It won't be as easy, I think booting is addictive :( I had a couple of weeks off last year during the summer - I enjoyed the days off frankly, but couldn't wait to get back to the muddy fields of booting for my next fix :lol: To be honest I still really enjoy it, but (as like others I am sure) the thought of my competetion and the great unwashed having an easy time and getting loads of nice stuff is always in the back of my mind.

This year with few exceptions its 3 boot sales maximum over 6 hours, no more of this staying out for 10 hours straight, although I am enjoying the drives to other places - glad to have company and someone that knows where their going...

Found a fairly sizeable rack of PS one games and picked up, amongst a few others, dum de dum...Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

You lucky sod - I got it the one and only time I have ever seen it - one rainy day booting, but mine was in awful condition - missing the music CD, book - and the disc was scratched so badly the in-game music was skipping all over the place :(

A couple of pretty good finds Sunday morning meant getting up at 5am wasn't a complete waste of my time:

DREAMCAST

Official Arcade Stick (loose) - £5, these are hard to find, and I saw another one being bought as well...

Soul Calibur (complete) - £5

Shenume, Wacky Races, Sonic 2, Toy Story 2 (all complete) - £1 each

- the lady was telling me, that if these didn't sell, she was going to be dropping the prices...

PS1

21 games including Pandemonium 2, Warcraft 2, Parappa The Rapper, Diablo, FF6, FF9 etc etc some really nice titles - between 50p - £2.50 each

Mouse (boxed) - £1

GAMEBOY

Empire Strikes Back (loose) + Tetris (loose) - £1 for both

Gameboy Pocket (loose) + 8 games including Lemmings, Track & Field etc etc - £15 the lot

Lord Of The Rings (boxed) - £1.50

NES 4 loose games - £1.50 the lot

Strategy Guides

3 including Age Of Empires 2, was glad to get this bad boy, as I play this quite a bit - £6 the lot

SATURN

Console (loose) + pads, cables etc + 3 "average" games (read: completely shit) - £5

N64

Official Pad Transparent (boxed) - £5

Beetle Adventure Racing (boxed), Tarzan (boxed), Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (boxed), Super Mario (loose) - £5 the lot

ZX SPECTRUM (loose) + 27 games - £3

I was well happy with the Dreamcast Arcade Stick, it made up for not finding a Vectrex... I got beaten to 2 n64 bundles:

Bundle 1 : "Random bloke A" gave this seller £5 for a Pokemon N64 with 4 amazing titles...

Bundle 2 : "Random bloke B" bought a rather nice boxed N64 for £10 and it came with some really nice titles. He gets it out and shows his son. The kid is unimpressed, not interested even to take a look. I suppose he wanted the latest blockbuster generic sequel for his PS2 and his Dad buys him some "shitty Mario crap" - kids these days they ain't got nae idea :(

What is it with all these shit PS1 titles? I must have left behind over 60-80 of the really average titles - who bought these in the first place? I know parents etc bought quite a lot, shame they weren't out there back in the day buying little Billy some quality titles. I know when I was paying top dollar for my PS1 games I choose very carefully, as it was a lot of money.

I was driving on Sunday - and got a bit lost, as we were looking for a new boot sale, got their after driving around in circles for ages - and it looked as if RichM had already cleaned the place out :(

EDIT: also got DC Ecco (£1) + DC Star Wars (£1) + GAMEBOY Mario & Yoshi (£5.50), expensive but was in nice condition.

Cheers

It won't be as easy, I think booting is addictive :( I had a couple of weeks off last year during the summer - I enjoyed the days off frankly, but couldn't wait to get back to the muddy fields of booting for my next fix :rolleyes:  To be honest I still really enjoy it, but (as like others I am sure) the thought of my competetion and the great unwashed having an easy time and getting loads of nice stuff is always in the back of my mind.

Aye, it's never easy not going and I always feel as though I am missing out if I don't go. Just not been enjoying it as much recently. I expect a few weeks of will have me chomping at the bit again! :P

It's funny reading what you said about Pikey mum. When I was handing over the money for the Mega CD and games this little 'professional booter' woman (about 60, shrivelled from the sun and always has a cigarette butt in her mouth) was stood right next to me staring at the stuff in the box and then she looked at me and I swear I could see hatred in her eyes. I gave her a big grin as I thanked the chap and strolled back to the car.

Saw her later on having an argument with a woman whose car boot she was rifling through without asking.

I am happy with the weekend's work as a Mega CD 1 and Castlevania were both on my list of wants for this summer.

I know what you mean about PS titles. This weekend they were everywhere. The pikeys were ignoring them which either means they are having trouble shifting PS one games or that the games were over £2, which puts them off.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing shite PS1 titles at boots for years and years to come. It's always the crappy EA titles or mountains of demo discs.

Crappy PS2 titles are also starting to crop up more and more now as well.

I'd love to see some more Speccy stuff. The last Spectrum I picked up was a 48K+ about two years back. I just don't seem to see this stuff any more.

Oh, almost forgot. I spotted a professional (when I mean professional, I mean that he seems to be at all the ones I go to) seller trying to flog numerous sun-faded titles for Ebay prices. It's obvious he takes some pride in his stock as it's always nicely laid out, and the majority of time in good condition, but the prices are too high for me. Unless it's something I really want, I'm just interested in the bargains.

Rob

I totally agree with you guys. There seems to just be endless amounts of crappy PS1 games (and consoles for that matter) at over the top prices. It gets right on my nerves. £30 for an unboxed PS1? What planet are these people from?!

I always feel too like I have to rush around the stalls at lightning speed so that the pikey Mick and pikeywife shaznay wont find the good stuff first. It seems however early or however thoroughly I look there is always someone else beating you to it at the other side of the boot. Booting is a strange thing...Go there and find fuck all or stay at home and wonder what you might have found.

Even so, it's the weeks you find that gem that makes it worthwhile :D

To be honest, my main competition seems to be the 'all year round romanian fruit pickers'. It used to be that they would buy an stereo they could get their hands on but now it's games and systems aswell.

On the PS1 games thing. There's nothing more dissapointing than seeing a nice stack of PS1 games and not finding anything worth more than a quid.

A few months back a guy had a PS1 with litterally 60+ games (not a trader) all for £2 each. There wasn't 1 title in there worth it.

Other times I see a stack of 7 or 8 PS1 games for £1 each and every one is either a great game or worth a bit more.

There's no accounting for taste I guess.

I was talking to my girlfriend about the pikey traders last night. I do miss the days when ALL they cared about was videos. They would belt round the boot sales buying as many videos as possible, as cheaply as possible. These days they don't even look twice at them. They are obsessed with mobile phones and video games.

Here's hoping they will eventually find something else to move on to.

They are obsessed with mobile phones and video games.

Here's hoping they will eventually find something else to move on to.

What about sewing kits :ph34r::D :D

Benito, do the local trader types you see, take ages to make their purchase(s)? I get this quite a lot, they look at each title for ages, and you don't know whether to move on - or wait hoping they leave behind the 2 or 3 titles your interested in...

There must be money in Mobile Phones as its something I hear more and more people asking for, the second the seller has got out of the car.

One chap, I see often that rarely buys anything other than board games and model kits - is now buying big job lots of games, he doesn't have the knowledge but when the price is right - he is now snapping them up.

Cheers

Benito, do the local trader types you see, take ages to make their purchase(s)? I get this quite a lot, they look at each title for ages, and you don't know whether to move on - or wait hoping they leave behind the 2 or 3 titles your interested in...

Cheers

Some of them do. They will stand there for ages, turning them over again and again. I’m not sure if they are unsure if the games are worth anything or, as often seems to be the case, they are trying to knock the price down. A number of times I’ve seen them pick up something good, look at it for ages, put it down to walk off, only to have the price slashed by the person selling the games to get the sale. Gutted!

However, they are currently obsessed with anything Nintendo. If it’s boxed they will buy it without hesitation. The one that got talking to me the other week was telling me that boxed Nintendo games are worth a fortune.

I do love it when you see them sorting through a pile of PS games and then moan to the person selling them that £2.50 is too expensive before walking off in a huff. Then you wander over and pick up Devil Dice, Vib Ribbon and Bishi-Bashi Special, which happened a coupla months back.

I saw a really nice separates Technics stereo set with a nice amp and old CD player etc and went over to see how much the guy wanted. I was expecting about £50. Before I could get there the 'fruit pickers' asked the guy and he goes 'umm I really want £5 for the lot'.

The 'fruities' then took about 5 minutes umming and ahhhing. All the time I was debating what to do:

Do I burst in and offer the guy £10 while they're dithering or

Wait and hope they turn it down or

Move on and let it go.

After about 4 minutes of waiting politely I walked off. Then saw them about 20 minutes later with the whole lot in a box. There was probably £5 worth of cables there. Let alone the speakers/amp/cd/radio/tape.

I want that Speccy :D

It looks as bad as the SNES :)

I paid £10 for the Spectrum without an RF cable, if you want it make me an offer :(

I paid £35 for the PS2 games. I'm not sure if that is a bargain or not, but the girlfriend wanted the sims and i wasn't about to pay £20 fot it.

I think i may try a diffrent route next week B)

I reckon Rat Boy digs out items from his collection, sets them up, takes some snaps and uploads them to this place to wind us all up :)

Mate, you've done bloody, bloody well. AGAIN!

If only i could find Wonder Megas or PC engines then maybe, but i'll leave that to the Car Boot Sale King :D

Although a friend did give me a Amstrad Mega PC :(