Help Me Prove That This Pic Is A Photo

Well it is a screen from PGR3, but hey, theres already a thread about that.

Come on, you dont really think thats a photo do you? Is this a 'beard'? (i dont get 'beards' really :P )

Look at the windows, the detail behind them is flat.

So is it proven to be an edited photo? Looks like a screenshot to me. Very sharp edges and corners, ladders and railings look like planes with textures applied. I have a feeling a photo would have more shadows cast then that and the windows don't look reflective enough...

*edit* Ah crap, have I been bearded?

For a cargame, that is a shit focus on detail. When driving around in your car @ 200 mph, do you really believe detail like this is visible?

If it was possible to make detail like this in a game, a driving game would surely be the worst game to put this effort in ??

everyone can see it's a PS-layered photo..

just fucking look at it

Are you really being serious with this? I mean, its so obviously a render of some kind. I've already said it, but: all the detail behind the windows is flat (where you can see it). The signs are at varying resolutions with some obvious looking anti-aliasing. The ladders/railings are just FLAT TEXTURES!

I mean, somone could either have gone to all the trouble of EDITING a photo to look like a game but

a ) why bother?

b ) the developers have released that as a screenshot of their new project.

All the windows are exactly the same shade, no different reflections on any of them.

There are. Look at the three closed windows above the Eat Inn sign.

I'm not sure either way, but I have serious doubts that any developer's going to put that much detail into that small of a section of trackside furniture. There seem to be jaggies on the vertical shop signs, especially the white one, which'd suggest that it is a screenshot, but that could always be the result of resizing the image, I suppose.

I dunno. It's probably just an indication of what they *could* do, if they wanted to. The only thing I can guarantee is that it won't look anything like that on my standard res television.

1. every fucking brick is unique

2. you're all brain damaged

3. I'm crying

4. and wanking

1. That can easily be done through having a base brick texture and then a randomised noise effect texture layered on top. One of my mates did this in his uni dissertation.

2. No

3. Dont!

4. Can I watch?

Seriously though, why is this so hard to believe? I'll be fucking pissed off if 360/PS3 titles dont come near this quality

For a cargame, that is a shit focus on detail. When driving around in your car @ 200 mph, do you really believe detail like this is visible?

If it was possible to make detail like this in a game, a driving game would surely be the worst game to put this effort in ??

So?

If it can be done do it!

no. it's a fucking photo

While taking the risk of running into a huge beard, here some stuff I collected during a quick browse:

nophoto.jpg

A. Flatmapping. A relief is mapped on a flat surface to give the illusion of depth. The more skewed the angle is, the better you can see it. It's well done, but the shadows give it away a bit.

B. Ever seen a balcony-fence like this, ending in a point? It also seems that it doesn't run to the back wall, pretty sure a hazard no US resident would take. Note that the ladder behind it looks too perfect for a picture too.

C. Nice ladder running up, but it would be handy if you could actually get on the floor above. Not that it ends in a closed grating.

D. Ever seen a balcony stuck in the wall like this? Usually there should at least be some screws and attachment. It's not just stuck into the wall.

E. Slabs have no depth at the side, even though they appear to have depth at the front. They are mapped straight onto a triangular surface and the texture map hasn't been applied well to the side.

F. Peculiar attachment here too. Lined up straight to the wall. It's probably physically possible, but it doesn't look right.

I'm sure with a closer examination it would be easy to pick out more details like this. As always in 3D renders, the surfaces can look great, but it's the places where different surfaces and objects meet where it's given away.

I still think it is a photo. Nothing 'proves' it is a game shot - there is no big give away.

Look at the detail - the railings, the cross bars holding the Chinese sign up, the ladder - if someone made that it would have taken quite a bit of time. And I can't believe they are putting that much effort in, yet doing a whole city...

If it is a screenshot - welcome to photorealism. And those people that say 360 is xbox 1.5 are eating some humble pie. But I don't buy it yet.

Check the Eat Inn sign tiles on the right, by the red sign. See where they stop at the edge? That looks particularly like a texture to me. Also the cream sign with the Oriental characters to the left of the Eat Inn looks suspiciously like a quick Photoshop emboss job to me.

Actually, look at that whole sign, you can see it's just a flat block with textures added (see round the edges).

Peter's official verdict: SCREENSHOT

EDIT: What Napole0n said :P